Options

What made you happy today, about Dr Who?

2»

Comments

• Options
    KoquillionKoquillion Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Satmanager wrote: »
    Please educate this American and tell me what a "few tinnies and a beef sarnie" is? I am pretty sure it is a meal but beyond that I don't have a clue. :D

Tinnies are cans and a sarnie is a butty. Hope this clarifies?
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Please educate this American and tell me what a "few tinnies and a beef sarnie" is? I am pretty sure it is a meal but beyond that I don't have a clue. :D

I will quite gladly explain dear Satmanager!
    I couldn;t be bothered with a full meal - so I had a HUGE big roast beef (with horseradish sauce) sandwich and a few tins of lager whilst watching 'The Time Meddler' and 'Carnival of Monsters' on TV.
    Good afternoon it was too! :D

XXX
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will quite gladly explain dear Satmanager!
    I couldn;t be bothered with a full meal - so I had a HUGE big roast beef (with horseradish sauce) sandwich and a few tins of lager whilst watching 'The Time Meddler' and 'Carnival of Monsters' on TV.
    Good afternoon it was too! :D

XXX

Thanks for the education. And I hope you enjoyed your meal.

As for the poster who wished to confuse me more with "sarnie is a butty", that is just mean. :D

This is what I like about being around Doctor Who fans, I don't just get to learn about Doctor Who lore, I also get an education about all things "British" at times!

Thanks again to all of you that replied - Cheers to all of you!
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Koquillion wrote: »
    Tinnies are cans and a sarnie is a butty. Hope this clarifies?

:D

Amazing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting another ebay win through the post, Who related of course.

Just before I joined this forum I finally paid off debts that were accrued before and during a bloodbath of a divorce. I lost everything, and it took me over 7 years to get out of debt.

Now I am debt-free, I can enjoy the small pleasures in life. I don't feel like my toes, barely touching the bottom of the pool, are the only things keeping me from drowning.

Which is why I started this thread; because real life is too fcuking hard as it is, to be spending time sad and miserable about something as joyful as Dr Who :D
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    ...because real life is too fcuking hard as it is, to be spending time sad and miserable about something as joyful as Dr Who :D

Well said! :)

Today, being away from my DVD collection, I watched 'Day of the Moon' on I-player for my 'Who' fix. Great fun...kind of forgotten just how 'cinematic' this story feels. Also reminded me how much I'm going to miss the pitch-perfect Matthew Robert Smith. :(

Then thought to myself "Capaldi's coming!" :cool:
  • Options
    BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    Reading the fantastic preview of An Adventure In Time And Space (and Moff's words about The Day Of The Doctor) in the latest Empire magazine got my excitement juices flowing even harder than ever.
  • Options
    krikkiter68krikkiter68 Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Because it's a great show, based on such brilliant ideas, and it's still going 50 years later. It was the first thing I ever saw on TV ('Planet of the Daleks') and I've been a fan ever since. Yes, there have been eras and Doctors I've liked more than others, but I'm so glad it's still going. As Grisonaut so rightly says, it's joyful. I can't wait until the 50th (Ten! And John Hurt!) and I'm madly excited about Capaldi. :)
  • Options
    sqwidge1978sqwidge1978 Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    You'll need a bow tie to go with it.....:D

Already had bow tie, fez and trousers, just had to get braces not such a bargain at £12 :(
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching my favourite Doctor on Breakfast TV talking about the 50th and other things courtesy of radcliffe95 who kindly posted it on this forum. :)

I'm glad things are improving for you, Grisonaut. :)
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    My copy of the Vault book arrived today - much to the annoyance of the post person at work who struggled round to my office with the huge Amazon package.

It also contained "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy" DVD which I don't think I've ever seen, I'd just about given up watching Who when it was first transmitted.
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    The SaveTheDay trailer ran before BBC Breakfast as 6am this morning - rushed in from the kitchen as the first note played and just stood watching it trying to see anything new that I hadn't spotted before.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching my favourite Doctor on Breakfast TV talking about the 50th and other things courtesy of radcliffe95 who kindly posted it on this forum. :)

I'm glad things are improving for you, Grisonaut. :)

Yay, name check!
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay, name check!

Credit where it's due. :)
  • Options
    TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting together another eight 'Doctor Who Now and Then' images.

http://www.ipernity.com/doc/tetramesh/album/545425
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My marvellous work colleague Agnieszka met some people on the weekend and introduced herself as Aggy. She was immediately nicknamed Aggydor...old school fans obviously! This will stick. (Made me :) )

And it's November tomorrow. Apparently there's some stuff going on?
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I propose we skip November and go straight to December. That way we enjoy Christmas sooner and only have to wait another 10 years for the next anniversary special. Which should be better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's WHO-VEMBER! (That's what all the cool kids are calling it. Or not. :o )

Apart from the new episode, really looking forward to 'An Adventure in Time and Space' (which looks like a real labour of love from what I've seen) and....AND....

Going into a shop end of November (yeah, very 20th Century :p ) to buy a complete 6 part Patrick Troughton story I've never seen before.

Niiiicccee. :cool:
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure how prescriptive that 'today' is supposed to be but if it is about Who experience generally it is definitely the role the programme played in my adolescence. I think the new iteration of Who is better than the old my most standards but the point is more or the less the whole of my affection for the show derives from the fun and excitement it gave me when I was growing up.

So to be precise the thing which excited me most was waiting on a Saturday to see what on earth (or off-earth) was going to happen next, how the cliffhanger would be resolved, what was behind the mask, how were they going to get back to the Tardis and generally would the day be saved.
  • Options
    alibobsyalibobsy Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Took kids to cinema today for one of their birthdays and as we came out hubby and I converged on the brilliant 50th 3d poster. I looked at him and he looked at me ans next thing I know we are in the queue to book tickets for it :). Wasn't going to bother with the cinema showing, because of organising babysitters etc. but I love DW, and OH although not as keen on NU Who-once Mr T appeared it put him off a bit, couldn't pass up on the chance to see Daleks on the big screen in 3D.

Thank god Mum and Dad are available on the 23rd so we are set yay!.

OH said he had been looking for something to do for me on our anniversary at the start of Dec and as soon as we stood there in front of the poster he knew that was exactly the sort of treat I would love rofl. After nearly 16 years got him well trained.

Roll on 23rd.

Ali x
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enough old who exists to last me the rest of my life. so it doesnt matter that nu who is rubbish.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the education. And I hope you enjoyed your meal.

As for the poster who wished to confuse me more with "sarnie is a butty", that is just mean. :D

This is what I like about being around Doctor Who fans, I don't just get to learn about Doctor Who lore, I also get an education about all things "British" at times!

Thanks again to all of you that replied - Cheers to all of you!

I'd be interested to know what other aspects of British life have come to you via DW.

spiney2 wrote: »
    enough old who exists to last me the rest of my life. so it doesnt matter that nu who is rubbish.

My personal take on this is "enough old who exists to last me the rest of my life, and more has been recovered. so I don't need to bother with nu who"
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on what's supposed to be a positive thread do people have to indulge in the same old Era wars?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The global success of the 50th.

No matter what gripes you might have, it knocked it out of the park in terms of ratings and ££/$$.

Well done.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My DVD of Enemy of the World is on its way. :cool:

'Peel those spuds, yeah, now!'