Options

Are You Being Served Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
Forum Member
This thread is for fans of the popular BBC television comedy 'Are You Being Served' which ran for ten series from March 1973 to April 1985 and which was seen in a number of countries around the world.

The television series 'Are You Being Served' was created by Jeremy Lloyd and The Late David Croft and was written by them and by Michael Knowles and John Chapman. The Late David Croft was Director of the television productions.

A film based on the 'Are You Being Served' television series was made in 1977. It was directed by Bob Kellett and written by The Late David Croft and by Jeremy Lloyd. It is broadcast occasionally on television.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    As many readers will know, BBC 2 broadcast episodes of Are You Being Served from 7.10.2013 to 19.12.2013 and again in the last couple of weeks. I just thought I would mention that on this coming Monday - 17th March, 2014 - the last episode of Are You Being Served (episode 7, series 10) will be shown on BBC 2 from 4.15 pm to 4.45 pm.

For many years, Are You Being Served - both the television series and the film of the same name - was not shown on terrestrial television in the UK. Well done, BBC 2, for showing the television series again. Hopefully it will not be too long before it is on again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Discussion of an episode of Are You Being Served recently shown on BBC 2 which included a tribute to The Late Frank Thornton (Captain Peacock in Are You Being Served) at the end:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1947589&highlight=are+you+being+served
  • Options
    Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish the BBC would show Grace& Favour (AYBS Again) sometime.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent sitcom that I always enjoy watching and with a first rate cast, who mostly are no longer with us.
  • Options
    lightonmyfeetlightonmyfeet Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Mrs Slocombe is one of the funniest tv characters ever - and I am unanimous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    I really enjoy watching Are You Being Served, but one thing I have noticed this past week watching it on BBC2, well I am not sure but it feels like the jokes are being forced and does not seem as flowing as it was in the earlier series. Seems like when Mr Lucas left and Mr Spooner arrived it went down hill. Not that the later series are bad just not as enjoyable and some storylines are being repeated. Am I the only one who thinks this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    An excellent sitcom that I always enjoy watching and with a first rate cast, who mostly are no longer with us.

I agree, a first rate cast. Excellent scripting too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Mrs Slocombe is one of the funniest tv characters ever - and I am unanimous.

......:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    claire239 wrote: »
    I really enjoy watching Are You Being Served, but one thing I have noticed this past week watching it on BBC2............does not seem as flowing as it was in the earlier series............Am I the only one who thinks this?

As with the ITV/London Weekend Television comedy On The Buses the later episodes of Are You Being Served were made without a couple of the leading characters of earlier series (as you mentioned in the case of Are You Being Served in your posting number seven to this thread). I think the remaining cast members of both comedies did well considering this, as did the writers and production staff.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am free, but my pussy can't join as it's out on Saturday nights.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So funny. Silly, but funny.

A brilliant ensemble cast.
  • Options
    Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I am free, but my pussy can't join as it's out on Saturday nights.

When I woke up this morning my pussy was soaking wet. I had to hold it in front of the fire to dry it out :o
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I love AYBS as much now, as I did all those years ago.

Sadly, the later episodes were a shadow of their former self, but still enjoyable.

My favourites were Mr Lucas, Mr Humphreys and Captain Peacock.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan100 wrote: »
    I wish the BBC would show Grace& Favour (AYBS Again) sometime.
    Utube have most of them
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theme music was great also.:D
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a great comedy series and I'm thrilled BBC Two repeated it. Hopefully GOLD will do the same. Sad that so many cast members are no longer with us.

Here is a very good self-written biography of Frank Thornton:

http://frankthornton.org.uk/about-2/biography/
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Found myself tuning in for one or two of these, and I've found that I've ended up tuning in every day.

Didn't pay much attention when I was a kid, but now I'm finding it very enjoyable. Excellent characters.
    The only real criticism is that it seems to have too many scenes in it which rely on the characters dressing up in silly costumes, which is a bit rubbish. As I think it's good enough without that nonsense.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appropriately enough for an innuendo-laden show, there were 69 episodes...
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »

Indeed only one member of the cast left who appeared throughout the series, Nicholas Smith. Mike Berry is the other regular though he did not appear til 1981.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The last episode of the final series of Are You Being Served - the popular television comedy made by the BBC - has just started on BBC 2/BBC 2 HD.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,782
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Indeed only one member of the cast left who appeared throughout the series, Nicholas Smith. Mike Berry is the other regular though he did not appear til 1981.

I always think that Nicholas Smith must have had a very thick skin to cope with all the lines about his big ears and bald head they threw in. :D
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »

Miss Belfridge played by Candy Davis who's in the current run is still alive. Although I'd understand why some may not count her as a proper cast member.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandydune wrote: »
    The theme music was great also.:D

I agree. It was very good. But it was not used in the film Are You Being Served. I do not know why.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Miss Belfridge played by Candy Davis who's in the current run is still alive. Although I'd understand why some may not count her as a proper cast member.

I wonder if she watched any of the repeats of Are You Being Served which finished on BBC 2 yesterday.

Well done BBC 2 for showing such a great television comedy again.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like the first five series, but it went downhill towards the very end. I know some people think that it was too lowbrow for BBC 1 and better suited to ITV, but it never fails to make me smile. Mr. Grainger, Mrs Slocombe and Mr. Humphries are my favorite characters. It's a shame that nearly all of the main original cast are gone now.