Inside Rolls-Royce

pward1965pward1965 Posts: 289
Forum Member
Recorded this and watched it last night.

I was a bit disappointed with this; I think the problem was that there was not enough detail. There were lots of generic shots from inside the factory and lots of (no doubt carefully controlled) PR-type stuff but why focus so much on this year's special one-off?

I would have preferred more detail on how the cars were made.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was a good idea to focus on the one off special.
    It hammered home the thought that having shitloads of cash can't buy you style.
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a document on one of the Disco channels a short while back about RR, it might have been the Megafactories series. It was much more detailed with regard to manufacturing process. They focused on a small centre console panel in one section of the show and it seemed to take a good two dozen people to make just that one piece.
    A long way from the injection moulded plastic trim in my last Toyota.
  • steviexsteviex Posts: 131,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    I think it was a good idea to focus on the one off special.
    It hammered home the thought that having shitloads of cash can't buy you style.

After watching the programme, is it just me or does anybody else think that the modern RR cars are just ugly and that some of the design features are tacky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steviex wrote: »
    After watching the programme, is it just me or does anybody else think that the modern RR cars are just ugly and that some of the design features are tacky?

Not just you no. Its the influence of our Teutonic friends... engineers they may be but they wouldn't know style if it jumped about waving a flag. I find pretty much all German cars ugly. Yes, there are exceptions but on the whole they're all ugly.
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steviex wrote: »

Agreed. If I had all the money in the world, I still wouldn't buy one. Then again, that's personal taste.
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Interesting-ish, but yeah a bit of a puff piece for RR.
  • ClanroydenClanroyden Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    It's not the original Rolls Royce anyway, it's a company that makes cars that happens to have the Rolls Royce name and is German owned. Only people like Simon Cowell drive round in them these days.

The original Rolls Royce factory at Crewe makes Bentley cars now and I'd be much more interested in seeing inside that place. My father owned a (second hand) Bentley in the 1960s which was fitted with a record player (not tape, cassette or 8-track). It took singles with the middle punched out that you slotted in as you would a CD. Trouble was the only record I can remember playing on it was "My boy Lollypop"!