Options

Series 5 - Masterchef Australia ...starts 15th Sept.

Comments

• Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing that it'll all calm down once they're a few episodes in, once they men/women get to know each other and aren't enemy teams. That's assuming they are all in a house together, and not in two separate male/female houses! I don't think the male/female teams is a great idea - I'm assuming that it means that they won't have mixed teams at any point? If so, it means they aren't going to bond the way that they have done in other series.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry. The boys v girls things only lasts a week and then it's back to normal and mixed teams
  • Options
    jojobananasjojobananas Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    Had been looking forward to this all week but found both teams to be truly annoying. So much 'competitive' talk. And sorry for not supporting my own sex but the women were the worst! Hopefully, once they go back to the old way of team selection etc things will calm down
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry. The boys v girls things only lasts a week and then it's back to normal and mixed teams

Thank goodness for that! I really didn't like it and wouldn't be bothering to watch if it continued in the same vein.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    Jules, Liliana and Clarissa fom the girls and Nicky have already hacked me off royally:mad:
    George is being a bit quiet.
    There doesnt seem to be the same atmosphere as in previous series at the moment. Hopefully when we get back to normal it will all settle down.
    MC Aussie is still my favourite though.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching it recorded from earlier. I like the fact it's straight into a team challenge and that they go and get their own ingredients.
  • Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have we missed a lot of earlier shows though, getting the numbers down to the top 20 ?
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering when this was going to start! Can't believe I've missed the first episode! I assume it is repeated this afternoon? What time is it on tonight, I shall give my mum a ring to set my Sky box! :D

EDIT - my mum's found it on Sky. I'm ready to go :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Have we missed a lot of earlier shows though, getting the numbers down to the top 20 ?

No. I watched at Australian pace and I can assure that you haven't missed any episodes. It seems strange that they would not have an audition process because in my eyes some of the people in this years series would not have made it past the audition stage on previous series
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Hi folks!:) I love MCA! But like a few of you I haven't instinctively liked anyone yet.:confused:

I didn't take to the two team leaders last night - male or female.
    Hoping it'll get better.

Belated 'Happy Birthday' for yesterday guernseysnail':)
    ( wish we had more 'smilies' here.)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a better episode in that it's still girls v boys but it's done with a bit more humility and good spirit. Bit too much teariness and a bit too much "what do I do with offal?!!?!" (I got it, ok, you don't know offal).

Oh and they've really multipled the cheese factor on the intro titles :D
  • Options
    Rogana JoshRogana Josh Posts: 41,348
    Forum Member

Was that five weeks in the Aussie version?
    I presume they show one show a week.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mozzerella foam?? Boak and glug ;)
  • Options
    SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch the first episode yesterday (but recorded it) and watched the beginning of the second episode this evening, but got exasperated at the ridiculous glaring and threatening stares going on between the men and the women across the kitchen. It was so juvenile that I just stopped watching at that point.

Why the hell did they ruin such an excellent and extremely popular programme? Whenever a series of Masterchef Australia finished I started looking forward to the next series. Never again. An idiot must have taken over.
  • Options
    jojobananasjojobananas Posts: 272
    Forum Member
    SueG wrote: »
    I didn't watch the first episode yesterday (but recorded it) and watched the beginning of the second episode this evening, but got exasperated at the ridiculous glaring and threatening stares going on between the men and the women across the kitchen. It was so juvenile that I just stopped watching at that point.

Why the hell did they ruin such an excellent and extremely popular programme? Whenever a series of Masterchef Australia finished I started looking forward to the next series. Never again. An idiot must have taken over.

My sentiments exactly! :mad:
    Going to stick with it for a while tho in the hopes that things'll improve when it loses the'boys v girls' theme. It really can only get better. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mooselovermooselover Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    When I watched episode 1, I thought it felt like we were just dropped into the series. I missed the auditions. Not finding any of the contestants particularly likeable. In fact some of them I just want to hit, namely Nicky. Could not believe him during the first challenge.
    I know that they had to move with the times, as there are now so many cookery shows on TV, but a part of me says if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Do we know how the ratings were overall for the series and whether there will be a series 6?
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    mooselover wrote: »
    When I watched episode 1, I thought it felt like we were just dropped into the series. I missed the auditions. Not finding any of the contestants particularly likeable. In fact some of them I just want to hit, namely Nicky. Could not believe him during the first challenge.
    I know that they had to move with the times, as there are now so many cookery shows on TV, but a part of me says if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Do we know how the ratings were overall for the series and whether there will be a series 6?

MCA ratings have been nosediving the last few series 5 fell ALOT. The finale peaked at 1.05m and averaged 921,000 . Season 4 series finale averaged 1.55m peaking at 2.1m. But you must remember Season 4 was already massively down on what the series had been getting.

There is going to be another series according to that link. BTW if you google the ratings you'll find out the winner, since my sister in Oz told me this series is completely unwatchable that does not bother me. :)

The first series finale of MasterChef Australia attracted an average of 3,745,000 viewers, and peaked at 4.11 million viewers.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember any names apart from Kelty! Oops! But most of the men are annoying me, and come across extremeley arrogant.

Oh how I've missed Gary and George (and Matt!) though!
  • Options
    andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Series 5 is shit so far ...not surprised it got a battering in the Oz press and ratings flop at that time.

Not going to bother until this rubbish boys v girls segment is done whenever that may be..already deleted in the planned series.

I bet the producers and Matt, Gary, and George were licking their wounds when it finished..they tried to be clever and it backfired....they got some thinking to do for next year.
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise this was back until I saw it on the guide! Missed the first ep and the opening credits of the second ep, so yet to see those.

Kind of weird that they didn't have any auditions, although I'm not too bothered.

I think it's natural that shows like this will peak and decline, I still plan to watch this series with an open mind. But I'm a bit concerned about it being called unwatchable!

It always takes a while for characters to bed in, so not sure what to make of them yet.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Can't believe I missed the start of one of my favourite series! Hope it's on catch-up?

Shame that they've revamped the format. That rarely bodes well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not liking the girls v boys theme. I also think from what we've seen so far, the standard seems down on last year.

I think the producers tried to do something with series 5 that so far has failed miserably. Something needs to be changed.

Although, it's still a billion times better than MasterChef UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was that five weeks in the Aussie version?
    I presume they show one show a week.

No, there is 5 shows a week in Australia
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I'm not liking the girls v boys theme. I also think from what we've seen so far, the standard seems down on last year.

Did you laugh when Michael said he was doing a cottage pie?

That's about as far away from being a Masterchef dish as you could get. An 8 year old kid could make that
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you laugh when Michael said he was doing a cottage pie?

That's about as far away from being a Masterchef dish as you could get. An 8 year old kid could make that

O em gee, I couldn't believe it! :p I've never cooked it myself as I hate it, and I'm not a very clever cook, but even I could take a guess and probably produce what he did. It looked so bland! What did he cook in the first challenge?