Review Show Axed

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well what a surprise, take a weekly half hour programme on BBC2, make it a monthly show on BBC4 and express shock when it loses 80℅ of it's audience

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or is there another reason?
    The BBC's long-running arts programme The Review Show is being axed, with its last edition due to air this weekend.

The panel show, currently presented by Martha Kearney and Kirsty Wark, has been on air for more than 20 years in different formats but was moved from BBC Two to BBC Four last year.

Earlier this week, director general Tony Hall pledged to put culture "at the very heart" of the BBC.

A spokesperson confirmed this Sunday's programme will be its last.

"The series has made a valuable contribution over many years but as outlined this week, the BBC has ambitious plans for arts on TV, radio and online," said a statement.

"Review will continue to have a place across the BBC alongside more topical arts coverage."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26771323
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC will do "the arts" but it I feel it will be a different type of arts.

More "accessible", i.e. stupid.

So those Dr Who concerts will seem high-brow in a few years time...
  • ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Culture at 'the very heart' of the BBC sounds a bit like when John Major said britain should be at 'the heart' of Europe.

Political newspeak, expect the opposite.
  • GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Used to watch that when when it was part of friday's Newsnight and Mark Lawson was the presenter and the original unholy triumvirate of Tony Parsons, Alison Pierson and Tom Paulin.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to watch that when when it was part of friday's Newsnight and Mark Lawson was the presenter and the original unholy triumvirate of Tony Parsons, Alison Pierson and Tom Paulin.

Them were the days. Really sad about this. I wonder if the Edinburgh Festival coverage will be slimmed as a result?
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Well what a surprise, take a weekly half hour programme on BBC2, make it a monthly show on BBC4 and express shock when it loses 80℅ of it's audience

Inevitable. IIRC I said asmuch at the time.

And if we track back the lineage we used to have a half-hour weekday arts/culture programme with The Late Show on BBC2 after Newsnight (which is what spawned The Review Show).

The new heads of arts programming was on The Media Show yesterday (convenient how this announcement came after that...) and despite being pushed he point-blank refused to discuss the budget for Yentob`s Imagine. I "imagine" it`s a bloody fortune and sucks up money that could have gone to other shows such as Review!
  • CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    A daft move taking it from its weekly slot in the first place. I hope there will be a suitable replacement.

Tassium wrote: »
    The BBC will do "the arts" but it I feel it will be a different type of arts.

More "accessible", i.e. stupid.

So those Dr Who concerts will seem high-brow in a few years time...

More soundbites from Tassium.:D

Did you not read the links provided for you yesterday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26728704

Performances from Glyndebourne and Shakespeare's Globe will also be aired.
    the team behind The Hollow Crown will reunite to create filmed versions of Shakespeare's Henry VI and Richard III plays.
    The Story of Women and Art as well as news coverage celebrating the winners of the Man Booker and Riba Stirling architecture prizes.
    A celebration of Museums at Night, an after-hours festival involving more than 500 museums, galleries and heritage sites
    A relaunch for The Space, the BBC's collaboration with Arts Council England
    "Major" coverage of the Edinburgh Festivals, including a performance every day online
    An "online partnership" with the Royal Academy in London focusing on its 2014 summer exhibition
    Programmes planned include A Knight at the Barbican, a BBC Four evening dedicated to the work of English conductor Sir Simon Rattle, and Dialogues, a new drama strand for BBC Four focusing on just two characters.
    There will also be a "new take" on Civilisation, the landmark 13-part series about the history of western art that originally aired on BBC Two in 1969, and a two-part Imagine documentary on BBC One on US novelist Philip Roth

Other programmes include an animated film by War Horse author Michael Morpurgo and a Northern Ballet version of Three Little Pigs for the CBeebies channel
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah. I used to like it when Germaine Greer was on. Like Paulin she hated everything!
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a pity the BBC cant revive the style of the old panel maybe with a twist for a similar arts orientated programme. Even if they irritated on occasion, the likes of Parsons, Bonnie Greer, Tom Paulin and Germaine Greer were never short of something interesting to say...especially when they disagreed !
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted. I used to really like this when it was Newsnight Review.

A fairly short list of arts programming, to be shown over the coming year, does not excuse the axing of BBCs only decent arts review show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    There is a small petition I found here, if it counts for anything.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-not-to-axe-the-review-show-on-bbc-4
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1571 wrote: »

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/the-bbc-not-to-axe-the-review-show-on-bbc-4

Thanks, have signed :)
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member

I'm not signing that. Not because I don't approve of the arts, but because I don't believe the Beeb shouldn't be shoving it into one tiny monthly episode. It's a disgrace that the channel can't even find half an hour a week in its schedule for a serious arts discussion show. All of the faff that they put on throughout the week, and they can't pick out half an hour? It's not as though it can be particularly expensive to do... A monthly show is not on regularly enough to build up support and retain audiences - it's far too easy to miss. It should be weekly or nothing.

If the BBC expects us all to pay for its programming, it should be doing far more than it currently does to promote arts. People complain bitterly about Murdoch and Sky, but the Sky Arts channels do at least offer quality fare for people who believe culture should be rather more prized than it is.

If the Beeb can't even make a tiny concession to the arts in the shape of a weekly arts discussion show (and I don't count The Culture Show there), they should do without the licence fee altogether, and fight it out for ratings winners with the commercial channels.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Them were the days. Really sad about this. I wonder if the Edinburgh Festival coverage will be slimmed as a result?

Me too. I remember that incarnation of the show.

I really don't understand what they're playing at scrapping it. Do they really think a show like that is intended to reap in huge ratings anyway?
    You'd think that BBC4 would be a safe place for it wouldn't you? Surely it costs peanuts to make as well. Furthermore I don't understand why they're axing it when programmes on BBC4 surely aren't expected to bring in big ratings anyway are they?

I thought the BBC was about producing diverse programming which appeals to all sorts and serves a function, rather than being about chasing ratings.

There must be loads of short, quiet little programmes scattered here and there throughout the schedules. Are they all expected to perform like 'The Voice' now?
    Surely there's room for small programmes, it's not all about ratings is it?
  • Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC4, once a week, probably the weekend.

What in same of sweet christ is so hard about that?
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earlier this week, director general Tony Hall pledged to put culture "at the very heart" of the BBC.

A spokesperson confirmed this Sunday's programme will be its last.

"The series has made a valuable contribution over many years but as outlined this week, the BBC has ambitious plans for arts on TV, radio and online," said a statement.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    One assumes the guy was referring to "culture" in the biological sense of bacteria and something rotten, rather than the artistic sense?
    As for "ambitious plans": what could be more ambitious than to remove every trace of it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Me too. I remember that incarnation of the show.

I really don't understand what they're playing at scrapping it. Do they really think a show like that is intended to reap in huge ratings anyway?
    You'd think that BBC4 would be a safe place for it wouldn't you? Surely it costs peanuts to make as well. Furthermore I don't understand why they're axing it when programmes on BBC4 surely aren't expected to bring in big ratings anyway are they?

I thought the BBC was about producing diverse programming which appeals to all sorts and serves a function, rather than being about chasing ratings.

There must be loads of short, quiet little programmes scattered here and there throughout the schedules. Are they all expected to perform like 'The Voice' now?
    Surely there's room for small programmes, it's not all about ratings is it?

Unfortunately it seems to be evermore so. Putting it on to BBC 4 lost most of these ratings, obviously, so they saw that as justification.
  • JohnQuigJohnQuig Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    Yes I watched it all the time when it was in that slot. I enjoyed the mix of seeing them review things I had seen and learning about things that were on that I might not have chosen to see myself.

The BBC seems to be trashing the arts at the moment. I'm still furious that the Sunday drama slot on Radio 3 has been moved too late to listen and get up for work on Monday. And now Hamlet (which in the past would have undoubtedly been in the 7.30/8pm Sunday slot) is on in chopped up parts after The Archers in the middle of the afternoon when anyone who is working also cannot listen. Maybe the BBC just wants pensioners to listen to their output.

10pm until midnight is too late? I believe that's actually considered a good slot, you can get away with more. They really can't schedule based on people being at work, otherwise nothing would be available until 5pm... oh and what about the people who work nights? Can't let them miss anything, so we can't start at 5 either. Oh heavens.

Get your head out of your backside, scheduling changes, at least the drama is still on and if you think 10-12 at night is too late, you must be over 80.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately it seems to be evermore so. Putting it on to BBC 4 lost most of these ratings, obviously, so they saw that as justification.

My point is though, is the vast majority of programmes on BBC 4 won't get high ratings either. What's the difference? Why does this gets canned opposed to some programme like 'Canal Walks', 'The Golden Age of Canals', or 'The Golden Age of Coach Travel'?
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    As for "ambitious plans": what could be more ambitious than to remove every trace of it?
    Replacing it, a short programme, with other programmes of greater length and frequency, spread across more channels (both TV and radio) perhaps?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/bbc-arts-release

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/speeches/2014/dg-bbc-arts
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

Ha ha! That was a dream line-up. Even the normally irritating Tony Parsole was good. I was furious when the BBC deliberately killed it. Heck, it's not as though the BBC is brimming over with serious discussion of cultural matters, it it?
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to have a soft spot for Allison Pearson. At the beginning the Review Show was abit like a forerunner to "Grumpy Old" and I tuned in just to hear Paulin's moans about something not being an accurate account of the struggles in Ireland.

Then it became familiar with different faces such as Morley, Churchwell and Bonnie Greer.

Far too chummy and too much low brow reviewing.
    Oh, and on too little.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Then it became familiar with different faces such as Morley, Churchwell and Bonnie Greer.

Sarah Churchwell - The thinking man`s Ryan Conner (adult warning if you google her!).