Options

Ron Smith high gain FM aerials

Justin AerialJustin Aerial Posts: 5,710
Forum Member
Can anyone explain this ?
Ron Smith make elaborate high gain FM aerials*. They claim an average gain of about 8dB (is that dBd or dBd ? ) for their Circular 5 aerial.
The next model up is the Diamond 12 which has a claimed gain of 13dB. But the only difference is in the number of elements in the reflector.
Now this is at odds with my research which only gave a difference of 0.8dB between an aerial with a full 6 element reflector and a partial 2 element one.

Has anyone got any ideas ?

* I have to say that in my experience hardly anyone actually needs a high gain multi element FM aerial. A half wave dipole is fine, even the round Halo type Omnis works reasonably for many people and they`re basically a bit crap ! They`ve got significantly lower gain than a half wave dipole.

Comments

• Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,458
    Forum Member
    Ron Smith make elaborate high gain FM aerials*. They claim an average gain of about 8dB (is that dBd or dBd ? ) for their Circular 5 aerial.
    The next model up is the Diamond 12 which has a claimed gain of 13dB. But the only difference is in the number of elements in the reflector.
    Now this is at odds with my research which only gave a difference of 0.8dB between an aerial with a full 6 element reflector and a partial 2 element one.

It does look suspicious, especially since the acceptance angle is quoted as 58 Deg for both, and usually as yagi gain goes up, the acceptance angle gets narrower. I'd be very sceptical of even 8dB gain with a single dipole and one director.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    It's a nonsense, I don't believe a word of it! Adding reflectors like that doesn't usually make any significant improvement to the gain and may even make it worse! Of course, front-to-back ratio will improve so it should be a better antenna, less prone to interference from the rear, but that's not gain.

There may be some kind of non-standard gain measurement they are using or the circular dipole may affect the lobes/measurements weirdly but more likely, someone has added up all the elements including reflectors and looked it up in a yagi gain table as if all but two of them are directors! <rolleyes>.
  • Options
    JonCollettJonCollett Posts: 492
    Forum Member

* I have to say that in my experience hardly anyone actually needs a high gain multi element FM aerial. A half wave dipole is fine, even the round Halo type Omnis works reasonably for many people and they`re basically a bit crap ! They`ve got significantly lower gain than a half wave dipole.

I was really hoping that you'd get hold of some of these and do some of your testing on them Justin.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea of these very expensive aerials is to reduce multi path distortion. Most FM tuners have circuitry to reduce this distortion but some people, not me I hasten to add, have unbelievably expensive systems mainly for BBC Radio 3. If you look at some of the HiFi magazines you will be amazed at how much you can pay for an FM tuner. The signal has to be as perfect as possible to justify that expense. Compared with the rest of the system the cost of these aerials is peanuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The idea of these very expensive aerials is to reduce multi path distortion. Most FM tuners have circuitry to reduce this distortion but some people, not me I hasten to add, have unbelievably expensive systems mainly for BBC Radio 3. If you look at some of the HiFi magazines you will be amazed at how much you can pay for an FM tuner. The signal has to be as perfect as possible to justify that expense. Compared with the rest of the system the cost of these aerials is peanuts.

It's not the cost, it's that these seem to be on a par with gold-plated mains cables and air-spaced speaker wire holders :D If you want to reduce multipath distortion, you need an aerial with a very narrow acceptance angle and few sidelobes, perhaps a log-periodic. An aerial with a single director won't achieve that. These aerials appear to be making unrealistic claims which their engineering design can't substantiate.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    log periodic band 2 ? that would be an awesome piece of ironmongery ......
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi fi mags used to regard r3 fm as "the gold standard" despite pcm distribution and compression before transmission.... to huge ammusement of bbc staff ......
  • Options
    witham1witham1 Posts: 291
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    It's not the cost, it's that these seem to be on a par with gold-plated mains cables and air-spaced speaker wire holders :D If you want to reduce multipath distortion, you need an aerial with a very narrow acceptance angle and few sidelobes, perhaps a log-periodic. An aerial with a single director won't achieve that. These aerials appear to be making unrealistic claims which their engineering design can't substantiate.

Welcome to the world of HiFi. Everything will be perfect so long as you believe but don't do anything stupid like going to a live concert with real musicians.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are not the most robust of aerials either.
    One was fitted on a rotator-pole as part of an installation on the BBC White City Building in the early 90s for monitoring transmissions... (specified by Projects who never asked the user-experts what they wanted) .

Someone probably still has a set of of measurements made off it pointed to different sources... It worked but performance wasn't outstanding if I recall correctly. However, it soon fell to pieces and was replaced by a Fuba yagi design - the one with twin reflectors.
  • Options
    dragon-itdragon-it Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=CCS1843
    Hmm, 180"", 4.5m long, I don't think you'd get away with a bodge job loft bracket screwed to the fascia with that...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This 14 element VHF band antenna on a rotator looks interesting. 5.6 metres long! I never went that far but many years ago I did mount an 8 element jobby (6 directors) up on the roof on a rotator and it needed a fair bit of ironwork holding it up there, I can tell you!

It also gave me nightmares when one of those occasional storm force winter storms came along :o but by golly, it did its job when coupled to my Revox B760... and a hell of a lot better than that pesky Ron Smith Diamond 12, the one with the fake gain specs!
  • Options
    mw963mw963 Posts: 3,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    hi fi mags used to regard r3 fm as "the gold standard" despite pcm distribution and compression before transmission.... to huge ammusement of bbc staff ......

Can you explain that a bit more please? I get the bit about the dynamics compression (introduced on "drive time" progs on Radio 3 in March 1989) but I'm unclear as to what the criticism of the 13 bit linear PCM system (first used in 1972 to Wrotham and then extended northwards) was/is.....

There was certainly amusement at the BBC in 1982 ish when CDs first appeared and some audiophiles who didn't like the idea of CDs held Radio 3 up as an example of how perfect an all-analogue system was, forgetting of course that the PCM distribution was digital, but you seem to be suggesting something else....?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Redcoat wrote: »
    I think the five element FM aerial in the OP might be able to have those gain figures if they are dbi and not dbd - the single director & reflector make up should give around a 4.5db gain, with a full-wave circular dipole giving around a 1db increase over a half-wave. Add the approx. 2.15db over an isotropic antenna and those figures aren't hugely off. The 13 element looks suspicious though.

Band II Log Periodic aerials do exist, I've browsed on Mike Brown's TX gallery site where I've seen them in place at some relay stations.

Are you saying you`d expect a three element aerial (because that`s effectively what it is, one director, the dipole, then the reflector) to give nearly 6dBd / @8dBi) ? I have to say that seems rather high, I`d expect 3 or 4 dBd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you saying you`d expect a three element aerial (because that`s effectively what it is, one director, the dipole, then the reflector) to give nearly 6dBd / @8dBi) ? I have to say that seems rather high, I`d expect 3 or 4 dBd.

The gain seems to be quoted with respect to an isotropic radiator rather than a dipole, this adds 3db to the figures. It is not uncommon in aerial measurements, whether it is ethical or not is another matter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The gain seems to be quoted with respect to an isotropic radiator rather than a dipole, this adds 3db to the figures. It is not uncommon in aerial measurements, whether it is ethical or not is another matter.

You mean the infamous dBi ? I agree it`s a dubious marketing practice to quote dBi, but isn`t that +2.15dB ? Even adjusting for that still implies they`re quoting a gain of about 6dBd, for a three element aerial.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean the infamous dBi ? I agree it`s a dubious marketing practice to quote dBi, but isn`t that +2.15dB ? Even adjusting for that still implies they`re quoting a gain of about 6dBd, for a three element aerial.....

3/2.15 seems to depend on who you ask, I'm sure it was 3 when I was at college (and god was a boy). Now about that special aerial cable you wanted, the one that adds a feeling of involvement to the sound, only £75/metre (+VAT). Perfect for Ron Smith Aerials!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Why is quoting dbI ,dubious marketing ,when this is the true gain ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is quoting dbI ,dubious marketing ,when this is the true gain ?

Their "Gain" specs are obviously up the proverbial antenna mast, whether it be dB as quoted (dBd is implied), or dBi (which is not stated), at least the Galaxie 12 element versions and beyond. http://ronsmithaerials.com/catalogue/fmspecs.php

There is no way on this earth that a 44 inch long FM band antenna of that design can achieve a gain of 14.7dB (or dBi for that matter) as claimed for the G 14. That's the point some of us have been making.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Their "Gain" specs are obviously up the proverbial antenna mast, whether it be dB as quoted (dBd is implied), or dBi (which is not stated), at least the Galaxie 12 element versions and beyond. http://ronsmithaerials.com/catalogue/fmspecs.php

There is no way on this earth that a 44 inch long FM band antenna of that design can achieve a gain of 14.7dB (or dBi for that matter) as claimed for the G 14. That's the point some of us have been making.

14.7 dB seems close enough to me for the antenna you refer to !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    14.7dB is about the gain of an 18 element yagi. Achievable on a UHF TV aerial but pretty difficult for band 2.

Not when connected via our new graphene inspired ultra cable with gold plated plugs sheathed with an outer covering made from woven virgins hair, (very rare these days).

You must learn to love (HiFi) big brother Winston.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    14.7dB is about the gain of an 18 element yagi. Achievable on a UHF TV aerial but pretty difficult for band 2.
    Sorry Winston .
    If you need lillel ole me to explain the tecky bits ,I will be pleased to .
    But the price is you must write 50 lines on this forum that says
    I don't know naff all about how a yagi works .
    (only teasing )
    I will give thee a clue .
    The gain of a dipole is a miges dick over 2db ,add a reflector and it increases to >5db
    X 3 = 9.5 dB plus some additional reflectors and directors that could add easily 5db .
    The truth is designing antennas is complex ,but these days software makes it a tad easier and I do this for a living at other frequencies, amongst other things ,
    such as moaning and winging .
    But I am sure the manufacturers who designed this antenna know what they are doing and have done the measurements .
    By the way I have no connection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where do you get the x3 from? Just because that fancy aerial has three sets of directors doesn't mean it's equivalent to 3 aerials! Besides, even if you take the dipole as having a 2.7dB gain over an isotropic aerial, there's only one dipole here, not three.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SteveMcK wrote: »
    Where do you get the x3 from? Just because that fancy aerial has three sets of directors doesn't mean it's equivalent to 3 aerials! Besides, even if you take the dipole as having a 2.7dB gain over an isotropic aerial, there's only one dipole here, not three.
    Nope
    It's equivilent to three