Options

Reception problem: Why 1 in 6 mux poor?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
Forum Member
I got my 9200 on Saturday and am excited about its potential. However, my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by reception problems. I can receive most of the muxes well but not mux 1 carrying the main BBC stations. I am in North-West Bristol (W-O-T) and my 15-year-old aerial is pointing roughly West towards Kings Weston. Looking at my signal strengths, I see:
Mux  eg   Channel Signal  Quality
1    BBC1     22    20    0-10
2    ITV1     25    38    100
A    five     28    47    100
B    BBC4     32    60    100
C    SKY3     30    60    100
D    HITS     34    61    100
These channels are those published for the Kings Weston transmitter on http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/tx_sw.html, confirming my aerial orientation. I have tried a manual search for better reception of mux 1 from other nearby transmitters but to no avail.

I am waiting to try a simple aerial signal booster to see if that helps but I would welcome other suggestions. Also, it would help me to understand what is going on if I could answer the following question: Why do I get poor reception on 1 out of 6 muxes when all are broadcast from the same transmitter?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Could be your aerial is the wrong group. For analogue reception from Bristol KW, you need a B-group aerial, but for digital you need a wideband aerial. Channel 22 is well out of the range of channels that are picked up by a B-group aerial.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 1,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As your aerial is 15 Years old almost certainly down to the wrong aerial.

For analogue reception a Group B aerial (chans 35-53) was required, and would explain why your signal drops off at the lower end...actually surprised you are getting the strengths you are reporting at all.

For Digital from your transmitter a wideband aerial is required, and looking at the power output possibly a booster as well.

Edit...must type faster ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the prompt replies. I feared that a new aerial might be needed but at least I now know why ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    I notice from the DTG website that there is a "Bristol Illchester Crescent" transmitter. The aerial group for this transmitter is that same (B) for both analogue and digital. Is there any chance you could try pointing your aerial at this transmitter?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mfmf - not if it involves me going up a ladder !-) Thanks for the pointer, I might be able to get someone to re-align the aerial for me.

By the way, if I end up getting a new wideband aerial, do I need to retain my analogue aerial as well?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Check channels in the 800 range... the good ones might be in there... sometimes it can lock on to a poor signal for 1 or more muxs