films that are so bad you cant even believe the exist???

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    No was just messing, especially with Die Hard, Aliens & Terminator 2. Not sure about Titanic, Transformers (all) & certain Marvel Films though.

Good one, you had me going.

Thing is, there are nutcases on these forums who think that some of these films should be on the list. They'll come along eventually.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    any film where Meryl Streep attempts to be funny
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    I had to switch Crouching Tiger off because the flying scenes were just so ridiculous.

I don't like martial arts films myself, but even I recognise that those flying scenes in CTHD are part of the Wuxia genre.

What sets Wuxia apart from other fantasy genres is, it revolves around the code of chivalry (Ioyalty, justice, honesty, etc.) in accordance with a literary tradition. Characters in a typical wuxia story can do things ordinary people can't do. Such as skim-running across roofs, walking on water, controlling weather elements, beating off a crowd of skilled fighters and so on. Like my brother once said: Knights Templar + supernatural-level physical skills = Wuxia. That's it, exactly.

Basically, the Wuxia genre to China is what Superman (or any other superhero) is to the US. But anyway, now you know the name of what you're disliking: Wuxia. That should help you to avoid this type of films when asking for film recommendations. :D
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Good one, you had me going.

Thing is, there are nutcases on these forums who think that some of these films should be on the list. They'll come along eventually.

Oh, please. I watched 'Prometheus' twice and although a visual stunner, I still think the script/story is a mess. Does that make me a "nutcase"? I don't think so.

Seriously though, I object to posters name-calling or criticising the others for not "appreciating" certain films. I mean, what the heck? Films are personal to each viewer. When it works, it works. When it doesn't, it doesn't. No skin off anyone's nose, surely?
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    I don't like martial arts films myself, but even I recognise that those flying scenes in CTHD are part of the Wuxia genre.

What sets Wuxia apart from other fantasy genres is, it revolves around the code of chivalry (Ioyalty, justice, honesty, etc.) in accordance with a literary tradition. Characters in a typical wuxia story can do things ordinary people can't do. Such as skim-running across roofs, walking on water, controlling weather elements, beating off a crowd of skilled fighters and so on. Like my brother once said: Knights Templar + supernatural-level physical skills = Wuxia. That's it, exactly.

Basically, the Wuxia genre to China is what Superman (or any other superhero) is to the US. But anyway, now you know the name of what you're disliking: Wuxia. That should help you to avoid this type of films when asking for film recommendations. :D
    I appreciate that it is a particular Chinese film genre, but I just found it so ridiculous that it took me right out of the film, if you know what I mean.

The film was ticking along quite nicely, with realistic action and suddenly they started flying through the trees and across roofs.
    Forum Member
    These are some of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read...you cannot think of even one other martial arts movie that are NOT so bad you wonder why they were made? Effectively you are stating that the whole martial arts genre consists of one tolerable movie.
    Pretty much, yes. It's a personal opinion. You don't have to agree with me.
    What of Bruce Lee's earlier movies, Big Boss, Fist Of Fury, Way Of The Dragon? Dated now for sure, but hugely influential and paved the way for other movies including Enter The Dragon.

What of Jackie Chan's earlier movies? What of Donnie Yen's movies (Ip Man for starters), and Tony Jaa?
    I didn't enjoy any of them.
    And regarding Crouching Tigers flying scenes, frankly if you find flying scenes in a martial arts movie ridiculous you really don't understand the genre at all...go look up A Touch Of Zen.
    I understand why they were flying, but it spoiled the film for me. If they re-edited it without the flying, I might enjoy it more.
    Karate Kid a kids film? Seriously? I suppose you also think Stand By Me is a kids film as well...if they are about kids and have kids in them they are kids films...right...
    Poor analogy.

Hey, if you enjoy martial arts films, fine, but try to accept that others, like myself, just find them to be badly-acted crap.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much, yes. It's a personal opinion. You don't have to agree with me.

I didn't enjoy any of them.

I understand why they were flying, but it spoiled the film for me. If they re-edited it without the flying, I might enjoy it more.

Poor analogy.

Hey, if you enjoy martial arts films, fine, but try to accept that others, like myself, just find them to be badly-acted crap.

I really think you need to go back and look at the original thread title again...we are not talking about movies you don't like, we are talking about movies so bad you wonder how they got made.

Frankly, it has nothing to do with your opinion - you simply cannot place a whole genre of movies into that category bar one, regardless of what that genre is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 1995 remake of Sabrina was so cheesy it's untrue!
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »

Haven't a clue what that is but the flying scenes in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon were just breathtakingly beautiful.
  • Fowl FaxFowl Fax Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Good Day to Die Hard, absolute rubbish in comparison to previous films and films in general.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Can you name me three that even come close to being tolerable?

Fist of Fury
    Drunken Master II
    Police Story 1-3
    Project A
    Once Upon a Time In China
    CTHD
    Hero
    House of Flying Daggers
    Ong Bak
    The Raid
    Come Drink with Me
    The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
    Five Venoms
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Fist of Fury
    Drunken Master II
    Police Story 1-3
    Project A
    Once Upon a Time In China
    CTHD
    Hero
    House of Flying Daggers
    Ong Bak
    The Raid
    Come Drink with Me
    The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
    Five Venoms

I guess this is probably the part where abarthman tells us how many actual martial arts movies he has actually seen.
    Forum Member
    I guess this is probably the part where abarthman tells us how many actual martial arts movies he has actually seen.
    All of them and they were all crap.

Can you let it go now?
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Art films where you sit there thinking what a pile of guff.

Oh and films with Bees or Ants in the title or plot.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    You sit through so many films from a genre you evidently detest?

Hmm...:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you let it go now?

Nope.

Because firstly I don't believe you have seen ALL martial arts movies ever made...very, very few people could make that claim.

Secondly because of your claim of one single sequence in a film you didn't like meant you could not watch the movie. You couldn't have just fast forwarded through that bit? Or frankly why couldn't you have just let it go? Because most of us have parts of various movie we think are silly, but that we may otherwise actually like. One sequence does not nescessarily ruin a whole movie.

And lastly, and because it's worth repeating, is just the sheer unmitigated gall and frankly stupidity to trash a whole genre of movies, rating them as not even bad or poor, but stating that they are so awful you cannot understand how they got made.

Seriously...it is one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here for years.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »

I hope you're not including Bee Movie in that!

I wouldn't say most Roland Emmerich films are bad per se but they do tend to be special effects masking a poor plot in my opinion.
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Happening.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mama Mia !
    Excrutiating.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    balthasar wrote: »

Spirit of the Beehive

<edit> is an exception

<edit again> but probably counts double for you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deathstalker 2. so bad its good. lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Mouse Hunt
    A Cock and Bull Story
    Day Watch
    Anything with Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal.
    Every martial arts film except Enter the Dragon.

Mouse hunt is a good shout!
    If it was made today it would be been animated
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vanilla Sky
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Independence Day. Remember getting dragged to see this at the cinema on a scorching hot Sunday afternoon. 15 minutes in and I knew I was going to hate it. I was furious when I left that Id wasted 2 hours of my life watching this appallingly scripted piece of crap I nearly demanded my money back from the cinema. It's still raw now, even thinking about the whole painful experience
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Mouse Hunt
    A Cock and Bull Story
    Day Watch
    Anything with Jean Claude Van Damme, Chuck Norris or Steven Seagal.
    Every martial arts film except Enter the Dragon.

That's funny I've always found Enter The Dragon poor.Not one of the poorest in it's genre because it still boasts the amazing Bruce Lee but poor because I thought Jim Kelly's fighting was average at best and John Saxon was just terrible,so I found their fight scenes dull.Apart from the great cavern scene,I found Lee's fight scenes lacking compared to Fist Of Fury and Way Of The Dragon.

I agree with you about anything with Seagal,Van Damme and Norris though (except Way Of The Dragon of course) :D