Options

Where should I buy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
Forum Member
Eight months ago, I was on here knocking the Humax as the awful truth emerged that there were serious faults. You may remember that I needed six boxes to replace my six VCRs. As I could see no quick fixes, I looked around and, although it has only an 80GB HDD, I decided on the Inverto. Now funnily, although it has been out a lot longer than the Humax, the Inverto seemed relatively bug-free back then. Not now! The faults are really exactly the same subjectively as the Humax was suffering from, but they seemed to take longer to become obviously widespread.

The Inverto story is quite sad, because they have closed down their UK sales office, and there is no sign on the Inverto forum of any progress towards fixing the main fault, the total library loss. Nor of any effort towards fixing it, or even any diagnosis or admission that it is a software problem. Although it is fairly rare, I lost all confidence in the box.

By comparison, the recent Humax software update has "eliminated" the problem - huge congratulations for that - and nasty things like program names getting lost when padding is employed are just memories, which is wonderful! And reading posts containing HDD dumps is mind-boggling. On the Inverto forum, I ventured that the library loss problem could be caused by a FAT-like failure, but you people on here are light-years farther on...

To get to the point, I now have only three VCRs left, and one of those has to be fed a SCART signal from a Freeview box. Replacement is now urgent, and I have decided that Humaxes are the ones.

Where to buy? My choice is between Comet and John Lewis. I am very keen to have no hassle if I need to have a box replaced at some time. John Lewis have a free 2-year guarantee, but Comet seem to rely on the manufacturer's guarantee. Which is what? I have searched and cannot find out. There is £12 difference in the price per box, aand for peace of mind my feeling is to go for John Lewis.

I would be grateful if anyone could help with their experiences of returning boxes for replacement, not repair, or has that always been done through Humax?

Comments

• Options
    youngbazyoungbaz Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    The Humax manufacturer guarantee on the 9200 is two years in any case, so are JLP offering an incremental two years?

There was a post a couple of days back reporting that a 9200 buyer had had a failure (I think this was labelled Hard Drive Failure but for some reason Digital Spy won't open that thread for me to confirm and link) on a unit bought from Comet, had taken it back to the store, where it had been replaced with no probs and they'd refunded him the difference between the higher price he'd paid and the then selling price! Sounds good to me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmm - assuming that JL are the more expensive, then you could try to get them to drop the price, since they still claim to be "never knowingly undersold" afaik....
  • Options
    MeMe Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Lewis are a bit fussier now about their "never knowingly undersold" line - i.e. they make sure that they are comparing like with like - i.e. is delivery included or extra (Not relevant with a STB, I know) - must be a shop in the local area etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    youngbaz wrote:
    The Humax manufacturer guarantee on the 9200 is two years in any case, so are JLP offering an incremental two years?

Where is that Humax guarantee documented, please? I think John Lewis is 2 years from purchase, so no difference.
    There was a post a couple of days back reporting that a 9200 buyer had had a failure (I think this was labelled Hard Drive Failure but for some reason Digital Spy won't open that thread for me to confirm and link) on a unit bought from Comet, had taken it back to the store, where it had been replaced with no probs and they'd refunded him the difference between the higher price he'd paid and the then selling price! Sounds good to me.
    Yes, I saw that - I must check how long it had been in use and that it was replaced - if so, it sounds very good indeed. But Comet don't actually mention the word "Guarantee "anywhere that I could see. Thanks for that.

EDIT: Ah, it was Currys... Better check them out too, then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pauldenton wrote:
    hmm - assuming that JL are the more expensive, then you could try to get them to drop the price, since they still claim to be "never knowingly undersold" afaik....
    John Lewis are a bit fussier now about their "never knowingly undersold" line - i.e. they make sure that they are comparing like with like - i.e. is delivery included or extra (Not relevant with a STB, I know) - must be a shop in the local area etc.
    Thanks, peeps, I must check - I wonder if the policy applies to on-line sales...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Where is that Humax guarantee documented, please? I think John Lewis is 2 years from purchase, so no difference.

From the warranty certificate:
    HUMAX thanks you for your recent HUMAX product purchase.
    For your benefit, we recommend that you record your serial number, found on the product, and other purchase information on this card and keep it with your personal records, along with proof of purchase. This information will allow us to better serve your needs.

. WARRANTY CONDITIONS

Keep this Certificate together with the original invoice or receipt in a safe place and show them to the retailer or placeiof purchase whenever a warranty repair is necessary.

. HUMAX CONSUMER WARRANTY

HUMAX warrants this product to be free of defects in materials and workmanship, subject to the conditions set forth overleaf.

. CONDITIONS

1. The HUMAX Warranty is valid for a period of two years from the date of first purchase.
    2. In the event that this product fails to function properly during the warranty period, the retailer or distributor will make this product capable of operating for the purpose of which it was designed, without charging for labour and parts.
    3. This warranty will be honoured only if the Warranty Certificate has been duly completed by the purchaser and is presented to the retailer with the original invoice or receipt.
    4. This warranty does not cover shipping or transportation charges from
    you to us.
    5. The obligations of the distributor are limited to the repair of defect parts.
    Costs and risks of transport to the retailer as well as removal and installation of the product, and any other costs directly or indirectly related to its repair, are not covered by the warranty.
    6. All warranty repairs performed by non-authorized repair shops will not be reimbursed and if such repairs damage this product such damage will not be covered by this warranty.
    7. This warranty is not applicable in cases other than defects in materials or workmanship and, in particular, does not cover:
    a) periodic check-ups, adjustments, maintenance or conversions as
    well as replacement of parts due to normal wear and tear;
    b) damage caused by accidents, negligence, modifications, use of
    non-HUMAX parts, improper use, installation or package;
    c) damage caused by lightning, water, fire, acts of war, public
    disturbances, incorrect mains voltages, incorrect ventilation or any
    other cause beyond the control of the distributor;
    d) products where the label bearing the serial number has been
    removed, defaced or is illegible.
    8. This warranty is offered to any person who has legally obtained
    possession of this product within the warranty period.
    9. HUMAX's maximum liability shall not exceed the actual purchase
    price paid by you for the product. In no event shall HUMAX be liable
    for special, incidental, consequential or indirect damages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks, whisper.