On Screen Display with Widescreen TV's

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
Forum Member
I have just bought a Toshiba 32WLT66 widescreen tv. I had previously been using my Humax PVR9200T with an old 4:3 tv.

I have set it all up, and expecting a slight deterioration in the PQ due to a much larger screen size than before, and the inherent problems with SDtv and LCD panel was pleasently surprised.

Previously i used to watch all Widescreen broadcasts on my 4:3 tv in 16:9 mode on the humax, which gave the two black bars on the top and bottom. However, now with a 16:9 tv, the on screen displays of the Humax have not adjusted.

The tv auto-detects a 16:9 signal and jumps to that aspect ratio, and the picture is displayed correctly. However, all on screen displays are cut off as if the Humax box seems to think its still on my 4:3 tv. The timeslip bar has the bottom cut off, and the channel list is missing both the top and bottom part of it. The same happens with the transparent playlist. If i go to the menu however, the tv jumps back to 4:3 ratio and everything is fine.

Am i doing something wrong, or is this how the Humax functions. Being used to Sky back home with a Sony widescreen, the sky on screen displays just stretch with the picture. Why is this not the case with the Humax on screen displays?

As i said in my commerical skip post, if this is a Humax fault (although if it is, im suprised i havent read about it on this forum before, as im always on it!!) could the DS members with Humax contacts please pass on this problem, as it is hindering my enjoyment of my new tv.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you set the screen ratio on the Humax to 16:9?

It sounds like you've still got it set to 4:3, and using letterbox mode for 16:9 pictures. You're TV is being clever and zooming the picture to lose the black bars at the top and bottom... which means that the menus get lost off the top and bottom.

If you've got 16:9 correctly set for a widescreen TV, you shouldn't be able to choose "letterbox mode".

When you're in the correct mode you'll get much better picture quality too (anamorphic instead of zoomed).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Ive toggled the aspect ration button under the flap to 16:9 on the Humax if thats what you mean. But that was just the same setting i used with my 4:3 tv which gave the letterbox mode effect.

I couldnt find a way anywhere else in the Humax menus to change the outsput display to "true 16:9" if thats what your suggesting.

If there is, please enlighten me!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stenard wrote:
    I couldnt find a way anywhere else in the Humax menus to change the outsput display to "true 16:9" if thats what your suggesting.
    Press Menu 2 4 4

That's menu > preferences> AV control > screen ratio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Press Menu 2 4 4

That's menu > preferences> AV control > screen ratio.

Thanks!!

Id actually just downloaded the manual whislt at work, and had just found that section! It wasnt an immediately obvious and as easy to find menu setting this morning as it is on a sky digibox!

Thanks for your help everyone!!