Options

The first Black Doctor Who?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Solenoid, I didn't want to get involved in your little soapboxathon, but who died and made you Grand Poobah of Public Opinion?

It's not PC brigade nonsense for people to have a differing opinion than you. And you can't assume that because you would be up in arms about it that the rest of the country has the same views on the relevance of skin colour that you do any more than I can assume that everyone would be totally cool with it - as I would be.

Personal preference of appearence for a potential partner is somewhat different and I am sure you are not ignorant enough to believe that there is no difference between that and this debate.

I think it is a sad indictment of Britain if the majority of people stopped watching any show because of the colour of the lead actors skin. Especially in a programme that has always championed values which are clearly quite the antithesis of this view.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not PC brigade nonsense for people to have a differing opinion than you. And you can't assume that because you would be up in arms about it that the rest of the country has the same views on the relevance of skin colour that you do any more than I can assume that everyone would be totally cool with it - as I would be.
    Hey, I'm not against people have differing opinions :D
    I'm explaining why I think there isn't a strong enough case to cast an ethnic actor as the lead in DW. There are a number of other reasons why I think it a bad idea. But the "accessibility" one is sufficient.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were that to be proved the case I would be very disappointed as, I suspect would our good Doctor.

I don't think someone like Adrian Lester would be inaccessible, he did really well in Hustle.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bezmina wrote: »
    I think it is a sad indictment of Britain if the majority of people stopped watching any show because of the colour of the lead actors skin. Especially in a programme that has always championed values which are clearly quite the antithesis of this view.

Won't it be embarrassing for the UK if that happened? I'd like to see if the Doctor being played by black actor would cause this. We're all sitting comfortable debating it when the UK is a hotbed of latent racism? We'll just have to wait and see if it'll happen. I'd be pretty much disgusted if it did.
  • Options
    MamaboogieMamaboogie Posts: 3,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell yeah! Although if your real name is Karen, then I'll feel really guilty! :p

*stifles speculation about Colin's sexuality and RTD's agenda*

Don't worry Amos! I ain't no Karen!:D

BTW - I'm feeling depressed!:( Please tell me that I'm not living in Solenoid's vision of Great Britain? Please?:(
  • Options
    dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in a year when it looks like america will be getting its first african american President, some people on here actually believe that having a black Doctor Who would be the downfall of the programme. I would laugh, if it didnt seem so sad.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Mamaboogie wrote: »
    Don't worry Amos! I ain't no Karen!:D

BTW - I'm feeling depressed!:( Please tell me that I'm not living in Solenoid's vision of Great Britain? Please?:(

Ah thank goodness, otherwise I'm flirting with someone who's like a big sister to me!
    I think Solenoid's Britain is a very sad place to be, and whilst I can't deny there are people who still think like that, I'm sure the majority of people (especially the unclouded young and embracing open-minded older fans of DW) would embrace a black Doctor. When we have British icons like Shirley Bassey, Lewis Hamilton, Lenny Henry, Sir Trevor etc, I think the British are more than willing to support talent of black origins.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dddddarren wrote: »
    in a year when it looks like america will be getting its first african american President, some people on here actually believe that having a black Doctor Who would be the downfall of the programme. I would laugh, if it didnt seem so sad.

I see what you're saying but got to say that my personal objection is based on the fact that because I love the show (David Tennant actually) sooo much I just don't want it to change. And also doesn't the fact that you mentioned BO's skin colour kinda prove the point. SKin colour is a factor in all these things :)
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see what you're saying but got to say that my personal objection is based on the fact that because I love the show (David Tennant actually) sooo much I just don't want it to change. And also doesn't the fact that you mentioned BO's skin colour kinda prove the point. SKin colour is a factor in all these things :)

It proves the point that the world is slowly but surely starting to grow up.
  • Options
    tombalandtombaland Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    Racism has little to do with it. Racism is legally about impairing someone's automatic right. the right to do a job that requires a skill or experience is not based on race for example. In the world of creative arts - especially the more marketed ones - there is no automatic right. Entertainment is constructed using carefully selected components for an audience and that will depend on context.

So a programme targetting black people or Asians can consist entirely of black and Asian presenters focussing on issues that interest those groups.

Likewise with other "isms" - beautiful women or young people will appear in certain shows or adverts because that increases the accessibility of the "product" - you cannot describe "Skins" as ageist or the use of only beautiful (or at least very presentable) anchor women on news programmes as "uglism"

When was the last time you saw a 25 st granny present the national news? You could argue that by not having one the news is ageist/fatist.

The only problem is that the judicial system wouldn't recognise your complaint.

could you explain TORCHWOOD for me then oh wise one?

i mean, how many bi sexual yank ex pats do you know?

and yet somehow they get away with having one as the lead....

how does this fit into your skewed view?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racism has little to do with it. Racism is legally about impairing someone's automatic right. the right to do a job that requires a skill or experience is not based on race for example. In the world of creative arts - especially the more marketed ones - there is no automatic right. Entertainment is constructed using carefully selected components for an audience and that will depend on context.

So a programme targetting black people or Asians can consist entirely of black and Asian presenters focussing on issues that interest those groups.

Likewise with other "isms" - beautiful women or young people will appear in certain shows or adverts because that increases the accessibility of the "product" - you cannot describe "Skins" as ageist or the use of only beautiful (or at least very presentable) anchor women on news programmes as "uglism"

When was the last time you saw a 25 st granny present the national news? You could argue that by not having one the news is ageist/fatist.

The only problem is that the judicial system wouldn't recognise your complaint.

and just to clarify have you just equated having black skin with being fat, old and ugly?

when you donning the white hood?or is that just a pointy ghost costume?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pretty much an ensemble cast though isn't it?
    and just to clarify have you just equated having black skin with being fat, old and ugly?
    ... no...but that won't stop you making plenty of accusations...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't though. Despite years of campaigning we don't have equal number of normal looking women doing top jobs on TV. We have pretty people. People who have an aesthetic that presses the right buttons. That's because the human eye is discriminatory and prioritises based on shallow reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much an ensemble cast though isn't it?

... no...but that won't stop you making plenty of accusations...

umm no, its not. Cap Jackis the lead.

people accuse you of things because you ask for it.

its not hard to read betwen the lines of what you say
  • Options
    NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    tombaland wrote: »
    could you explain TORCHWOOD for me then oh wise one?

how does this fit into your skewed view?

Capt. Jack isn't American, he's from the Boeshane Peninsula. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    umm no, its not. Cap Jackis the lead.
    He's the leader of the centre, but the stories often focus on other characters. DW rarely steps away from the Doctor character - and that's because of how they need to shoot two stories with the lead actor rarely appearing in one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It isn't though. Despite years of campaigning we don't have equal number of normal looking women doing top jobs on TV. We have pretty people. People who have an aesthetic that presses the right buttons. That's because the human eye is discriminatory and prioritises based on shallow reasons.

I tend to disagree with you here. Fern Britton, all of the Loose Women, Catherine Tate, most of the women in the soaps, most of the newsreaders, Sharon Osborne, most of the TV presenters on all the major channels....in fact your 'pretty people'? who are these people???? People like Denise Van Outen ? well, the are pretty but normal too.....i think you either need to make a stronger point or get off the topic altogether.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »

exactly, if america can actually vote an african american man to be their president, with all their troubles with racism in the past, then i think that we should almost not be having this discussion about a black man becoming a lead character in a programme. Yes i know people can talk about what they want on here which is cool but it all seems a bit infantile when it all comes down to it. I think the nay sayers are doing the british public a great diservice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fern Britton, all of the Loose Women, Catherine Tate, most of the women in the soaps, most of the newsreaders, Sharon Osborne, most of the TV presenters on all the major channels....in fact your 'pretty people'? who are these people????
    Fern Britton has lost quite a bit of weight. ;)

And the Loose Women are on at a time when either women "like themselves" are watching or out of work males are viewing. For which just seeing a female is adequate enough. :D
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Fern Britton has lost quite a bit of weight. ;)

And the Loose Women are on at a time when either women "like themselves" are watching or out of work males are viewing. For which just seeing a female is adequate enough. :D

What a ridiculously sweeping statement to make, but then again that's all you've done so far. Now you're insulting unemployed people (why are they necessary desperate to see a woman? there are an awful lot of married/involved people without a job you know) and saying that only loose women watch loose women?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now you're insulting unemployed people (why are they necessary desperate to see a woman? there are an awful lot of married/involved people without a job you know) and saying that only loose women watch loose women?
    It is a rather particular time of day that it's scheduled. When chatty women at home like to watch gossiping women on TV.

It's not just unemployed single men watching I agree. Many older men will want to leer at the presenters but they're probably not too fussed either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    It is a rather particular time of day that it's scheduled. When chatty women at home like to watch gossiping women on TV.

It's not just unemployed single men watching I agree. Many older men will want to leer at the presenters but they're probably not too fussed either.

Apologies for the American crassness here, but who the h*ll pissed in your grits? :eek:

The broom you are sweeping people with is a little bigger than you are. I suggest you put it down before you hurt yourself. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand a word of that, Thete, but still I'm inclined to agree. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should explain that changes to classic text annoys me...

nick fury is white

He has been portrayed as black in a comic series tho hasnt he?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    The Slug wrote: »
    I don't understand a word of that, Thete, but still I'm inclined to agree. :)

Interpretation: Part 1: What is your problem?

Part 2: Time to sit down and be quiet before you get your head smacked. :D:D:D