Can a PS3 read movies files on a USB stick?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is it possible to put movie files onto a memory stick that you put into one of the ports on your PS3 and the ps3 will read and play them?

I've tried lots of times to play back an avi or mpg file but the ps3 always reads the stick as blank (can't even see mp3s), am I just very stupid or am I doing something wrong or does it have to be a certain type of stick like sony branded or something?

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless you have them in the correct folder on your stick(see below) then ....

For movie.

go to movies on XMB, triangle, display all. This should show you them all.

likewise for music, make sure to be in music on XMB, triangle, display all.

You could organise them on your stick though.

Top level.

Create a "VIDEO" folder, a "MUSIC" folder, a "PICTURE" folder.

You wouldnt need to use display all by doing this.

ps. Yes, they will play right off the stick but I prefer to copy them to the PS3 as my particular stick has a flashing (bright) blue light on the end that is annoying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    my usb stick usually show as empty until i press the trangle and select show all from the menu
    hope that help
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THANKS the folders trick did it..... I was so dumb over it that's all.

When I download the latest US airings of stuff, I'd rather watch them on TV than the PC so have been converting them to dvd-video burning it to DVD-RW and watching back but now can just download dump straight onto the stick and watch. Knew it was something so simple stopping me

:o:o:o
  • PadrePadre Posts: 1,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THANKS the folders trick did it..... I was so dumb over it that's all.

When I download the latest US airings of stuff, I'd rather watch them on TV than the PC so have been converting them to dvd-video burning it to DVD-RW and watching back but now can just download dump straight onto the stick and watch. Knew it was something so simply stopping me

:o:o:o

You could have dumped then straight to DVD or CD and played them on the PS3. No need to convert them to DVD.
  • CaptnSpauldingCaptnSpaulding Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    No need to have them in folders - just access the USB stick, press triangle and 'display all' :)
  • the_polar_bearthe_polar_bear Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there not a 4GB file size limit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to have them in folders - just access the USB stick, press triangle and 'display all' :)

but so much nicer with the folders. :D
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope it is FAT 32 but some how ignores that limit (It has to for blu-ray playback)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Nope it is FAT 32 but some how ignores that limit (It has to for blu-ray playback)

I thought I read a while ago that its a modified FAT32, so a FATTER32 or something. :)
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I thought I read a while ago that its a modified FAT32, so a FATTER32 or something. :)

Maybe it's just BIGBONED32 format?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Padre wrote: »
    You could have dumped then straight to DVD or CD and played them on the PS3. No need to convert them to DVD.

I'd put raw avi files to dvd-rw and tried them off memory sticks before but they never worked, so I just coverted them to dvd-video and burnt to dvd-rw but now I realise you need them in a folder called VIDEO (or to press triangle) I didn't know that until today though. I was being rather dumb before

:o
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not just leave them on the PC & stream them?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    Why not just leave them on the PC & stream them?

Yeah that is another option, but sometimes hi-res files can choppy depending on your router speed and setup. Also I'm gonna be takin my PS3 on holiday (in the UK), so the USB stick is the ideal option here too.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The PS3 doesn't have a file size limit but any memory stick or external HDD you use is limited to 4GB. only way to transfer a bigger file is over a media server as far as i know.
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread had been dead for almost 2 years and phildesign resurrected it.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    This thread had been dead for almost 2 years and phildesign resurrected it.

Maybe this time someone will give some recognition for my excellent "BIGBONED32" gag, been waiting two years for some props for that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    The PS3 doesn't have a file size limit but any memory stick or external HDD you use is limited to 4GB. only way to transfer a bigger file is over a media server as far as i know.

is that right? ive used a 8gb usb stick and a 300gb ext drive
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    is that right? ive used a 8gb usb stick and a 300gb ext drive

He worded that wrong. He means, due to FAT32's set up, you can't have a SINGLE FILE that's larger than 4GB on an External Hard Drive or Memory Stick.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thank god for that, ithought i was going mental :)
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    He worded that wrong. He means, due to FAT32's set up, you can't have a SINGLE FILE that's larger than 4GB on an External Hard Drive or Memory Stick.

Thanks for clearing that up, I did word it kinda shite lol :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Maybe this time someone will give some recognition for my excellent "BIGBONED32" gag, been waiting two years for some props for that!

PMSL :D

The fact you've said that has done it for me. Excellent daft sense of humour. Love it. ;)