Danny V Adam - Let's get real- what is going to happen?

2»

Comments

• ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    What are you basing your assumptions on then, if not what they have sung and how they have sung it?

Adam is the only one who, whatever given theme, has done "Adam". To her credit, so did Megan, even if often a little too tunelessly.

What is 'Adam' though? What genre does he fall into? That is the point claire is trying to make I think.... He has done these songs but I still wouldn't know who he is as an artist.... I can't get a clear picture from the songs he's sung.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are you basing your assumptions on then, if not what they have sung and how they have sung it?

What they've said and what they've chosen to do when given a freer choice such as downloads week - Matt clearly wanted to do a Fray type song, Anoop wanted to do 'cooler' RnB extra.
    ellieb123 wrote: »
    What is 'Adam' though? What genre does he fall into? That is the point claire is trying to make I think.... He has done these songs but I still wouldn't know who he is as an artist.... I can't get a clear picture from the songs he's sung.

Thank you. That's exactly what I mean. I have no idea whether Adam wants to be a pop diva or a glam rocker. I can't for the life of me think what an album of his will sound like. His performances don't give a clear picture of him as an artist - I know what he's good at, I know what I don't like, but I have no idea what sort of music he's aiming at making.

And he will have to choose one style eventually - you can't sell an album that's half glam rock and half club hits. Just mildly intrigued as to where he finally lays his hat.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smellyadam wrote: »
    The last two won't be Adam and Danny.

Maybe one of them, I can't really predict what's going to happen but it won't be an Adam V Danny final. It just won't.

I hope to God you're right

Iwould actually want an Allison vs Matt finale. I really want Lil Rounds to be in the top 2 but she has let her and her fans down.

I have a feeling she may shine this week. If she doesn't, it's officially over for her. If she does, I'll want her in the fina with Allison
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    What they've said and what they've chosen to do when given a freer choice such as downloads week - Matt clearly wanted to do a Fray type song, Anoop wanted to do 'cooler' RnB extra.

I find it really interesting that the judges seem to want to push Matt into a direction he doesn't want to take.... They go on and on about having a clear identity and Matt obviously wants to take the Fray/Coldplay route, but when he does that they tell him he's wrong!! I know they keep saying that 'just because you like a song, doesn't mean your voice will suit it' and to an extent they are right, but will Matt want to sacrifice who he wants to be just to satisfy the judges? I hope not. They raved about him this week- and I don't think it was one of his best performances. It seems to me that they want people to take the route that they (the judges) have chosen for them, rather than the route that the contestant is most comfortable with/most interested in taking.
    Thank you. That's exactly what I mean. I have no idea whether Adam wants to be a pop diva or a glam rocker. I can't for the life of me think what an album of his will sound like. His performances don't give a clear picture of him as an artist - I know what he's good at, I know what I don't like, but I have no idea what sort of music he's aiming at making.

And he will have to choose one style eventually - you can't sell an album that's half glam rock and half club hits. Just mildly intrigued as to where he finally lays his hat.

It could be that he won't have to decide before the end of American Idol- I think he'll win now, because he's so good at all genres.... Will make his first album even more interesting, as I will have no idea what the songs are going to sound like.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And who knew who Will Young would be as an artist? I certainly wasn't sure, but look how well he's done since.

Whereas poor Gareth....:p

Let's face it though, a lot of the contestants may fit into a genre box, but it doesn't mean to say that they're going to have any success after AI.

I think Adam's unpredictability and diversity is intriguing, and I love that in an artist. It certainly would make me want to go out to buy his album.

Much as I've liked some of the others performances - not every week mind - I can't see them being strong enough as artists. Allison may be the exception.

Of the previous AI's, Kelly Clarkson is the only one that I've bought albums of. I also liked Chris Daughtry and David Cook, but I've yet to actually check out what they're like as artists.
  • linnyloulinnylou Posts: 18,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it really interesting that the judges seem to want to push Matt into a direction he doesn't want to take.... They go on and on about having a clear identity and Matt obviously wants to take the Fray/Coldplay route, but when he does that they tell him he's wrong!! I know they keep saying that 'just because you like a song, doesn't mean your voice will suit it' and to an extent they are right, but will Matt want to sacrifice who he wants to be just to satisfy the judges? I hope not. They raved about him this week- and I don't think it was one of his best performances. It seems to me that they want people to take the route that they (the judges) have chosen for them, rather than the route that the contestant is most comfortable with/most interested in taking.

It could be that he won't have to decide before the end of American Idol- I think he'll win now, because he's so good at all genres.... Will make his first album even more interesting, as I will have no idea what the songs are going to sound like.

That was such a shame for Matt, cos I really thought he would suit The Fray, and would kill it. I was a bit gutted that he didn't quite pull it off.
  • Early DoorsEarly Doors Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can't sell an album that's half glam rock and half club hits

Really? Someone needs to tell the Scissor Sisters.

I couldn't agree more, apart from the fact about thinking he will win.

Some of the biggest selling albums of recent years have actually been of a mix of genres. Some of the biggest selling artists of all times have consistently mixed genres in their albums. What gives them their identity is the artist/band themselves and their ability to perform anything their way, not the pigeon hole that some would like to push them into.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Someone needs to tell the Scissor Sisters.

All the Scissor Sisters tracks sound similar. What I'm stating is that you can't sell something that doesn't have a similar sound throughout. Adam seems to have dabbled with several distinct styles and I'm still not sure which direction he'll decide to go in.
  • miss_minervoismiss_minervois Posts: 2,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why offering a critique of someone equates to bashing them ? :confused:
    Liking Danny /Hating Adam
    Hating Danny/Liking Adam

neither are mutually exclusive :o

I like them both for different reasons.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Danny Versus Adam debate is not worth the argument for me.

Whats wrong with Adam not been boxed. Prince was not boxed and he was exellent in every genre-and sold millions.

This time AI has to be brave and take on an artist who could become an icon. Pandering to what the public expects sometimes is a probem give them what they need I say.

What they got on their hands is an artist that can perform, entertain and sing what more do they want.

Of course there is going to be many doubters and haters but who cares; thats what makes music interesting. Next year I look forward to the female version of Adam.

Amen.

Regards

Babeth
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Scissor Sisters tracks sound similar. What I'm stating is that you can't sell something that doesn't have a similar sound throughout. Adam seems to have dabbled with several distinct styles and I'm still not sure which direction he'll decide to go in.

So you'd believe that all tracks on an album must sound the same or similar for an artist to have success?

Tell that to David Bowie, The Beatles, Madonna, Prince, Abba, Pink Floyd, Genesis, The Who etc, etc. Think you'll find that many of their best selling albums are a mixture of styles and sounds. The variation and experimentation is what makes them successful.

Personally speaking I'm much more inclined to buy an artist's material if it's diverse and eclectic rather than bland and 'colour by numbers' music. Very boring to listen to an album that sounds the same all the way through.
  • minxymoominxymoo Posts: 26,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why offering a critique of someone equates to bashing them ? :confused:
    Liking Danny /Hating Adam
    Hating Danny/Liking Adam

neither are mutually exclusive :o

I like them both for different reasons.
    Me too.
    in fact their my two favourites..im not that enamored with anyone else.
    i hope its an Adam~Danny final.
    their the best two by a distance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who says?

There's no rule to say that evey song on an album has to have a similar style and sound.

Perhaps I'm in a minority here but I tend to buy albums because I like the singers voice not because it's a particular style of music that I like. It doesn't bother me if the album contains a mixture of ballads, glam rock, pop, pop rock, it's the person's voice and their interpretation that I'm buying into. To me Adam has a very distinctive voice whether he's singing a ballad, rock song, funk song and that's all the connection throughout that I need.

Some people don't just like one style of music, they like a variety and if someone who they like as a singer can vary their style a bit then that's just a bonus to me. Of course it would look a bit odd if they were jumping back and forth from widely different genre's ie folk song, operatic aria, rap .. but I don't expect Adam's going to go that far in differing his styles.

Just my opinion but when listening to all of Adam's performances on AI, they all sound like Adam (he has his own distinct vocal "Adamisms") and I don't see why he has to be pigeonholed into one specific genre. I have many albums from artists where they vary their style throughout, but still sound like "them". To me an album of songs with a similar sound, temp can get a tad boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,450
    Forum Member
    Sorry if it's been already posted.
    This is a sample of Danny's pre-idol music
    http://topidol.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/pre-idol-music-from-danny-gokey/

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chi wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been already posted.
    This is a sample of Danny's pre-idol music
    http://topidol.wordpress.com/2009/04/13/pre-idol-music-from-danny-gokey/

:D

Each to their own, I suppose :cool::D

... and Adam get's called for not being current ....lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm in a minority here but I tend to buy albums because I like the singers voice not because it's a particular style of music that I like.

Put it this way, no matter how much I like a singer's voice, I wouldn't buy an album of music I didn't like. I can appreciate the person's talent, but what they do doesn't appeal to me.
    Forum Member
    If he wins this year, Simon Cowell will try to pigeon-hole him though... He'll want him to zoom in on a genre that is going to make him the most money, unless Adam has an idea of where he wants to go. Most winners on these shows have had some idea of who they wanted to be- Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia, David Cook, Jordin Sparks, Carrie Underwood, hell, even Taylor Hicks..... They all obviously had an idea of what kind of artist they wanted to be. If Adam has no real idea- then Simon will just have him doing stuff that he thinks is the right way to go.
    I think Adam is a huge talent- he has stage presence, can sing just about anything etc, but there has to be some reason why he hasn't been snapped up already, having been trying to break into the business for so long....
    By not showing who he wants to be, he is in real danger of ending up being what Simon Cowell and his record company want him to be. That would be awful IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Er.... why does Adam have to fit into a genre ?

For the last 8 years Idol has been full of acts doing that - with Adam he will keep surprising everyone which is what makes him so exciting , that combined with concerts / performances which would be more than standing onstage , doing a little hip movement or sitting on a stool and standing up again ( ie Danny ). I can't think of anyone more boring than Danny, he reminds me of Taylor Hicks ( who has recently been dropped by his record label ) meaning, what on earth would you do with him ?

Watching Adams You Tube performances of the past shows you what he can do and I think he will be given much more of a free reign than expected. I'm sure Cowell realizes what a goldmine he has , you could see his reaction from Adams first audition and the Hollywood rounds. He has so much talent and charisma I think he will be around for a long time .

Yesterdays New York Times published an article about Adam which ran over a whole page, I can,t recall there having been such a buzz over a contestant in the past .

D x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Digsby .. there's nothing in the rule book to say that someone has to be classified as one specific genre ... whilst you do get those people who easily fit into a genre ie heavy rock, rap, opera ... "pop" is a very broad genre that encompasses a lot of different styles and in order to succeed in it and sell records you don't have to sing the same songs every time ... you don't see the likes of Madonna, Xtina sticking to a set type of song .. I know that Madonna's not setting the charts alight at the moment but when she was she was reinventing herself with each single she released .. a differeng kind of sound and a different image ... you can't exactly say that Queen's We Will Rock You and These Are The Day's Of Our Lives are similar in style. To me this is part of Adam's attraction .. he can't be tied down to one specific style.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Thanks Digsby & diamond1 you expanded on what I said earlier.

Also, Digsby you touched on the last 7 years being same o, same o.

American Idol has to reinvent itself if they want to find their, Prince's, Elvis's ,Madonna's Micheal Jackson's and stay current. An element of danger has been missing from AI and this year at last they are taking it forward if they want to stay relevant. It seems that they have realised that they do not want to just find stars they want to find icons. I welcome this new chapter.

Perhaps not to sound corny this is the era of 'Yes we can'. Think Obama, Adam could not have come at a time when American is trying to heal itself from all whats wrong and put it right. Adam represents one of that phase in music & art. Also we are in a reccession they tell us and music sells too.

I am not jumping on the band wagon. I have never been on one. I have always been one who believes in expression of artistic gifts without prejudice.

Regards

Babeth
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam is great on a show like AI, he can experiment and do lots of genres, head completely outside the box, be country one week and rock the next. He suits the show. But when it comes to making an album it all needs to fit together nicely, sure his songs have been great and he's really grown on me. I regularly play his studio versions and enjoy them but eventually he will need a direction to head on.

The problem with shows like AI and XF is that it forces the contestants to do a variety of genres and 'themes' to show how versatile they are but when it comes to the album they have to narrow it down. They picks up fans during the show who like them doing particular styles and if that doesn't end up on the album they lose their fans, explaining why so many reality TV contestants flop, no matter how popular they were during the show itself.
    Forum Member
    I agree Digsby .. there's nothing in the rule book to say that someone has to be classified as one specific genre ... whilst you do get those people who easily fit into a genre ie heavy rock, rap, opera ... "pop" is a very broad genre that encompasses a lot of different styles and in order to succeed in it and sell records you don't have to sing the same songs every time ... you don't see the likes of Madonna, Xtina sticking to a set type of song .. I know that Madonna's not setting the charts alight at the moment but when she was she was reinventing herself with each single she released .. a differeng kind of sound and a different image ... you can't exactly say that Queen's We Will Rock You and These Are The Day's Of Our Lives are similar in style. To me this is part of Adam's attraction .. he can't be tied down to one specific style.

There you go- you've just found Adam's genre- pop....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam could produce a successful record after AI, I just think it's best for him not to win for two reasons:
    1) He won't be forced down a path he doesn't want to go in order to produce a quick album that is generally 'family friendly' to appeal to all generations
    2) He is absolutely AMAZING and there are others that really need the win in order to be as successful as him. He is a star already IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam is great on a show like AI, he can experiment and do lots of genres, head completely outside the box, be country one week and rock the next. He suits the show. But when it comes to making an album it all needs to fit together nicely, sure his songs have been great and he's really grown on me. I regularly play his studio versions and enjoy them but eventually he will need a direction to head on.

But Adam was never country one week ... he sang a song associted with Country music but he didn't cop out and sing it country like a lot of the contestants .. he sang it in his own style .. and as far as I can see (and hear) .. that's what he's doing every week .. singing songs in his own style ... Like we keep saying ad nauseum .. take Freddie Mercury as an example .. he was as much at home belting out a rock song as he was singing an emotional ballad .. and he sold records doing both .. so why should it be a problem for people like Adam. I think too much is being made of "what genre will Adam sing" .. he'll do pop . ..whether that's pop/rock, pop/dance, pop/ballad and he doesn't need to stick to just the one.

I agree with you though on the point that the themes don't do the contestants any favours as to helping them show their strengths.
  • sHAYneWARDsHAYneWARD Posts: 2,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeanie wrote: »
    So you'd believe that all tracks on an album must sound the same or similar for an artist to have success?

Tell that to David Bowie, The Beatles, Madonna, Prince, Abba, Pink Floyd, Genesis, The Who etc, etc. Think you'll find that many of their best selling albums are a mixture of styles and sounds. The variation and experimentation is what makes them successful.

Personally speaking I'm much more inclined to buy an artist's material if it's diverse and eclectic rather than bland and 'colour by numbers' music. Very boring to listen to an album that sounds the same all the way through.

Who says?

There's no rule to say that evey song on an album has to have a similar style and sound.

Perhaps I'm in a minority here but I tend to buy albums because I like the singers voice not because it's a particular style of music that I like. It doesn't bother me if the album contains a mixture of ballads, glam rock, pop, pop rock, it's the person's voice and their interpretation that I'm buying into. To me Adam has a very distinctive voice whether he's singing a ballad, rock song, funk song and that's all the connection throughout that I need.

Some people don't just like one style of music, they like a variety and if someone who they like as a singer can vary their style a bit then that's just a bonus to me. Of course it would look a bit odd if they were jumping back and forth from widely different genre's ie folk song, operatic aria, rap .. but I don't expect Adam's going to go that far in differing his styles.

Just my opinion but when listening to all of Adam's performances on AI, they all sound like Adam (he has his own distinct vocal "Adamisms") and I don't see why he has to be pigeonholed into one specific genre. I have many albums from artists where they vary their style throughout, but still sound like "them". To me an album of songs with a similar sound, temp can get a tad boring.

Thank you for that, both of you. It saved me having to type it.
    Each to their own, I suppose :cool::D

... and Adam get's called for not being current ....lol

Adam is about the most current of the contestants.

Danny is akin to a poor man's Michael Bolton.

Lil is a hybrid of all the most dated aspects of the "divas".

Allison reminds me of Carolynne Good from FA2 (except that Carolynne is a far better singer) who was constantly being criticised by the judges for being dated.

Matt could be current if he was allowed to be.

Anoop could be current if his strengths lay where he would like them to and not in Johnny Mathis style performances.

Kris could have a niche in the flavour of the occasional month acoustic genre but his voice is too generic pop for it.
    If he wins this year, Simon Cowell will try to pigeon-hole him though... He'll want him to zoom in on a genre that is going to make him the most money, unless Adam has an idea of where he wants to go. Most winners on these shows have had some idea of who they wanted to be- Kelly Clarkson, Fantasia, David Cook, Jordin Sparks, Carrie Underwood, hell, even Taylor Hicks..... They all obviously had an idea of what kind of artist they wanted to be. If Adam has no real idea- then Simon will just have him doing stuff that he thinks is the right way to go.
    I think Adam is a huge talent- he has stage presence, can sing just about anything etc, but there has to be some reason why he hasn't been snapped up already, having been trying to break into the business for so long....
    By not showing who he wants to be, he is in real danger of ending up being what Simon Cowell and his record company want him to be. That would be awful IMO.

Firstly, Simon Cowell has nowhere near as much influence or involvement in the career of AI winners/contestants as he has in those of XF or BGT. His role in AI is that of judge, end of.

Where does this impression that Adam doesn't know what he wants to be come from? Are you seriously suggesting that he has any less of an idea than the contestants you have mentioned? Did they perform the same every week throughout the show? No, they performed what was fitting for the week.

Adam is the first contestant that I have ever seen on the show who I can say I can hazard a guess at where they are going.

A music industry person on another site gave an excellent and very credible account of the reasons up why someone like Adam hadn't been signed up already and what Adam's biggest mistake was in his quest for a recording career. I will try to look for it. It made a lot of sense.

Is there really no end to the lame excuses that some will come up with as reasons and justifications for why Adam shouldn't win? It would be hilarious if it wasn't so desperately sad.

The problem with shows like AI and XF is that it forces the contestants to do a variety of genres and 'themes' to show how versatile they are but when it comes to the album they have to narrow it down. They picks up fans during the show who like them doing particular styles and if that doesn't end up on the album they lose their fans, explaining why so many reality TV contestants flop, no matter how popular they were during the show itself.

You said it. If they pick up fans by performing in various styles and some fans are going to like them performing in one style while others are going to prefer them performing in others, why alienate a large part of the audience that voted for you by having nothing on your album for them? The answer? Because most winners and other contestants who get record deals are simply not versatile enough to pull off more than one song in more than one style. Of course that is a recipe for failure. People who liked their performances in a style which is not represented on the album are not likely to like it, are they?
    Adam could produce a successful record after AI, I just think it's best for him not to win for two reasons:
    1) He won't be forced down a path he doesn't want to go in order to produce a quick album that is generally 'family friendly' to appeal to all generations
    2) He is absolutely AMAZING and there are others that really need the win in order to be as successful as him. He is a star already IMO.

1) He will be signed by the company, win or lose, so the outcome will be the same. He may as well have the title he deserves. Why shouldn't he be promoted as the winner? Why should he settle for runner-up or worse in a contest where none of the others can hold a candle to him?
    2) With all due respect, what a load. I really don't care how much any of the others need the win. A contest should be won by the best contestant, not the most needy.

Besides, you say he is AMAZING but you are the one who is constantly up and down about Adam.