Doggy upset tum

humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This morning doggy got up as normal, I tend to feed him when I get back from the school run, about 9-ish. This morning I took him out before feeding and he did a long, slightly soft orange coloured poo.

That didn't bother me in the least but when we got back in he started heaving and brought up bile and a few spots of fresh blood. He heaved a few times more but just brought up mucus and bile.

I've rung the vets and have an appointment later, he seems ok in himself.

I'm sitting here enjoying the quiet and the noises coming from his stomach are silence shattering and have both of us getting startled and searching from the source! I am not joking, it's loud!

On Sunday he was out the front with me and the kids and started eating grass to the point of chundering everywhere.

He is on Wellbeloved, I did start him on new flavours in the middle of last week, one small breed and one normal adult - we avoid the Turkey one like the plague though as it gave him the runs as a pup, to the point he had to go and have his anal glands sorted because he never did solid poo's. He has seemed fine on every flavour since then. I wonder if it's the change in that?

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Has anyone experienced similar before?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    It could be Colitis it can be get pretty nasty in dog. My dog has had it in the past and still now flare ups and I know what you mean with the stomach noises they are pretty concerning sometimes. I think the vet visit is a really good idea to rule out anything else like an obstruction perhaps? or maybe he just picked something up without you noticing and ate it. But I always keep some slippery elm capsules (open and mix in with food or water) or some Pro Kolin either or both will help calm the stomach and line the gut and also helps firm up poo in no time. I wouldn't give your dog any more food for the rest of today,perhaps something really light this evening like some scrambled eggs to give the tummy time to heal but provide plenty of water and walks for grass. It could be the case that although a good brand of food he may have become intolerant to it- any food changes should be done gradually. It is just something you will have to work out sadly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    I hope your wee doggy friend is ok. Good luck at the vets.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do we have an update on this?
    My dog rarely gets an upset tum - and only when she has been eating grass/cow poo. In fact she'll eat another dog's poo - she's not fussy!
    I have to watch her like a hawk when we are out. It really bugs me that my neighbour thinks she doesn't have to clean up after her dogs 'because we live in a rural area'. So if I let my dog run ahead on the lane I inevitably find her tucking in with gusto to the neighbour's pet excrement :eek: Not to mention that you are likely to step in one of her pets' turds while negotiating the rather more obvious cow pats in the field.