My little Cat is coughing up Furballs.

bethwaddelbethwaddel Posts: 295
Forum Member
Any advice on this, she coughed this up the other night, presumed it was some food, but when i examined it this morning it was a long string of hair, i think she has done this pretty recently before, i am concerned about this as i don't think it will be a one off, do not want her choking, she does seem to shed a lot of hair, she is a adult cat i got from rescue centre, she is a indoor cat so any advice is welcome thanks.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine often bring fur balls up to. It's nothing to worry about. If she gets a lot of them or coughs a lot and can't get them up you can get a paste from the vets for it . You also can get treats that are for furballs. The very first time you hear it it's really frightening for you. I was scared something chronic but you do get used
  • Cat.JCat.J Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat Thomas also vomits up furballs quite often and has done for years. It does sound horrendous sometimes, doesn't it? Not to mention annoying when he does it at 3am, under my bed! :D

As Maisey says, you can get something called Katalax which is yeast flavoured and is supposed to help your cat pass the fur through her digestive system.There is also a special Hills diet to help prevent furballs (at least I'm assuming they still sell it, I haven't bought it for years).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a rescue cat that is actually short haired, but he seems to have two layers to his fur coat, fluffy undercoat and longer top coat. He sheds a lot, and doesn't really like to be brushed. I got the biggest doggy mat brush from pets at home to do his coat, but I don't brush him too much, I just get the worst off before he gets upset, he still throws up quite a lot of hairball.