Options

Is Missy...

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Clara.... I noticed last week that Strax referred to Clara as 'Miss C' rather than 'Miss Clara' and it's obviously more than a coincidence that Missy and Miss C sound similar. Also Missy referred to the Doctor as her 'boyfriend' and the past 2 episodes we have seen reference to the Doctor think that he was Clara's boyfriend.

They also sound quite similar and both have dark hair (stretching it a bit far here).

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    summer_stesummer_ste Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Clara.... I noticed last week that Strax referred to Clara as 'Miss C' rather than 'Miss Clara' and it's obviously more than a coincidence that Missy and Miss C sound similar. Also Missy referred to the Doctor as her 'boyfriend' and the past 2 episodes we have seen reference to the Doctor think that he was Clara's boyfriend.

They also sound quite similar and both have dark hair (stretching it a bit far here).

Your thoughts?

Interesting idea!
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Ooh it is interesting...!

I just want Missy to be an errant library programme that has used river songs knowledge of time travel to port people there that were dead or close to dying for some undisclosed reason...eek! It is exciting..and I am nosey, of course!
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soounds plausible, I believe you (or someone) mentioned this on another thread recently, gold star if its right :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's certainly possible. Someone on another thread mentioned them having Gomez put on a different accent as another way to back up this theory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Well... River was linked with Clara when she went into the doctors time stream... River is/was attached to the library data base, maybe clara shard went into rivers library base maybe destroying rivers ghost signal and laying claim to the library and saving all those that sacrifice themselves for the doctor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Imagine crazy missy/clara facing the doctor at the end revealing that she destroyed river from the library. Now I adore river and it would devestate me, but what a story
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw some theories that Missy is the collection of all the dead Claras that died to save the Doctor.

Sounds interesting if you ask me, so I'm eager to see what the deal is with her.
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member
    CamCam wrote: »
    It's certainly possible. Someone on another thread mentioned them having Gomez put on a different accent as another way to back up this theory.

Not quite - I mentioned that Gomez was using a (Cara-like) Lancashire accent for some reason and then someone else pointed out the "Miss C" line - it's wasn't done to back-up or prove anything (and the thread where that was said was just a load of gags and "what if" observations - no "theories" or serious suggestions about who Missy is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mrfipp wrote: »
    I saw some theories that Missy is the collection of all the dead Claras that died to save the Doctor.

Sounds interesting if you ask me, so I'm eager to see what the deal is with her.

Taken to extremes, there must be millions of dead Clara's cluttering-up heaven by now - makes sense that they'd have to open a new branch.

The bit that's interesting me regards the nature of that "heaven" is the "Promised Land" - I'm wondering who made a "promise" to a cyborg - presumably when it was still 100% robotic.
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A darker alternative version of Clara would be interesting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Interesting idea, but Missy is clearly The Rani ;-)
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Talking to the other half this morning, and he suggested an interesting play on the name of Missy.

Missy being short for Mistress ?
    and Mistress being the female of Master.

The Master was well known for collecting things, especially once shrunken in size.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm assuming that no-one has considered that she's not real - and nor is "heaven".

We may have had the analogy last night with that Dalek's memory - "Heaven" could be the part of the Doctor's mind/memory and "Missy" is a manifestation of part of his personality.

His own damaged psyche may be the "villain" of this series - perhaps related to him "breaking the rules" when he rescued Caecilius and linking to his new face and "Celtic" accent. (also a neat way to show him having a "feminine" dimension without actually having him played by as a female).

(Interesting note - an "early warning" test for Alzheimers uses a "Memory Impairment Screen" - or "MIS")

How about everything we see this series actually taking place inside the Doctor's mind at the split second of his regeneration - showing us what "goes through his mind" in that moment and leading up to us seeing him chose his new face :)
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever 'Missy' turns out to be, I'm much enjoying Michelle Gomez' performance.

I could certainly see her as a Doctor. With a cute toyboy companion.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree. Its the rani.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Missy...... this year's clumsy compromise between individual stories and a serial vibe?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Missy could be a Time Lord and Paradise is her TARDIS - that's how she moves through time and how she can snatch people up, like how the Doctor grabbed Journey before she died.

The Dark Clara theory is really good though.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Old Man 43 wrote: »

From that picture she could be Missy Poppins.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    Is Missy...... this year's clumsy compromise between individual stories and a serial vibe?

I'd say so far it's not been clumsy at all. We had the traditional end-of-episode tease last week, and then the decision to work her into the middle of proceedings this week was a really good idea - it suggests that the bigger developments are actually happening whilst The Doctor is saving the universe, rather than feeling like a bolted-on afterthought.

As for Missy's identity, if she isn't someone new, then I'd say the two best opinions I've heard have been The Master and Clara. The whole Missy>Mistress>Master slant is certainly inventive enough and would be an ideal way to test the waters regarding Timelord gender changes for if they ever wanted to cast a female Doctor.
    The Clara angle is also interesting... given the "Miss C" reference from before, the 'boyfriend' reference, the 'period Nanny' vibe which is also an integral part of Clara, and various other things.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna say:

The Master (Missy > Mistress > Master)
    or
    The Doctor (I do like his new accent. I might keep it.)
    or
    The Rani
    or
    A new character?

If she's Clara I'll eat my hat
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I believed she was either an older clara or even susan at first. Now i am thinking she might either be the rani (as has been mentioned), i have a slight leaning to romana (missy being a slang name for mistress - the term used for romana by K-9), or the doctors mother or first wife :confused:
  • Options
    drtwelvedrtwelve Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    ...the woman in the shop that gave Clara the doctor's phone number for Bells of St John...?
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could she be a young Madame Kovarian? Could this be what she was trying to prevent, 11 regenerating into 12, becoming her "boyfriend" and breaking her heart?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chattswho wrote: »
    I believed she was either an older clara or even susan at first. Now i am thinking she might either be the rani (as has been mentioned), i have a slight leaning to romana (missy being a slang name for mistress - the term used for romana by K-9), or the doctors mother or first wife :confused:

She said boyfriend.....