What's happened to TMZ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When I click my TMZ link it says Due to laws within your region, you are unable to view content for this website. This is a first.

When I type TMZ.com into the address bar it takes me to warnerbros.com :confused:

Comments

• taskertasker Posts: 4,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed mine worked about 20 minutes ago, very strange
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just logged on via a proxy and there is nothing that jumps out as unusual.
  • AndyTSJAndyTSJ Posts: 1,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same for me... IPhone app works just fine via WiFi so it's a bit weird really.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blocked for me but OK via proxy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    I'm in Ireland and I just logged on there and everything appeared normal. I looked for an tech support email address but they just have a contact form, I'm guessing you won't be able to access that if I post a link if you can't access the website.
  • synthsparklessynthsparkles Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same thing happens to me. Apparently it's now blocked... strange.

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/54584680.html
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The UK has stricter libel laws than USA. In the UK you have to prove you're telling the truth and in America it's up to the person suing to prove you're lying.

Though as mentioned there is nothing remarkable about any UK person on that site now; it maybe an error.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same thing for me. Can't access and gives that message. Wonder what's going on?? :confused:
  • northernslayernorthernslayer Posts: 3,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not working here either. The redirection to warnerbros.com is odd! TMZ is one of my guilty pleasures :o:D

No mention of it on http://twitter.com/TMZ they don't seem to be answering any questions about it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just been on it, and I can't see any reason why it would be blocked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working grand for me too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not working for me - not something i go on normally, but definitely blocked due to my location
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is strange that people in Ireland are not having problems. I take they have similar laws to the US and less like us. I'll just have to set up a proxy connection for future use. I've set up this link for anyone who would like to save it as a bookmark.

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.tmz.com/

I'm still really baffled by the Warner Brothers link. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popalong wrote: »
    It is strange that people in Ireland are not having problems. I take they have similar laws to the US and less like us. I'll just have to set up a proxy connection for future use. I've set up this link for anyone who would like to save it as a bookmark.

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.tmz.com/

What does that mean :confused:

I'm in Northern Ireland and can view it......we are part of the UK ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lins_81 wrote: »
    What does that mean :confused:

I'm in Northern Ireland and can view it......we are part of the UK ...
    I meant by laws, as mentioned by someone above about the US having different laws regarding libel. I didn't mean to suggest Northern Ireland wasn't part of the UK. :D

Could it be down to IP address? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not working. Damn, figured it would have been fixed by now. I refuse to believe that this is down to anything other than a mistake. The warnerbros.com redirect is even more weird. My ISP is Virgin btw, not sure if that is significant. I don't even hit up tmz.com very often but damn, this is too strange to just ignore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndyTSJ wrote: »
    Still not working. Damn, figured it would have been fixed by now. I refuse to believe that this is down to anything other than a mistake. The warnerbros.com redirect is even more weird. My ISP is Virgin btw, not sure if that is significant. I don't even hit up tmz.com very often but damn, this is too strange to just ignore.

I am Virgin as well and I cannot see it, I also get the Warner Brothers website. I prefere TMZ to Perez Hilton or any off the others who deal with celebrities
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to access that cess pit anyhow?
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hardly ever go on to it but now that i can't i'm p*ssed:mad::mad:
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popalong wrote: »
    When I click my TMZ link it says Due to laws within your region, you are unable to view content for this website. This is a first.

When I type TMZ.com into the address bar it takes me to warnerbros.com :confused:

TMZ is a division of Time/Warner.

This has nothing to do with libel laws as suggested earlier, that 'not available for viewing in your region' suggests a technical glitch to me, nothing more. There's absolutely no logical reason for it to be inaccessible other than a coding error which prevents viewing outside of the US. I'm sure it'll be restored and back to normal in no time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    There's absolutely no logical reason for it to be inaccessible other than a coding error which prevents viewing outside of the US.

That'll be the <USA> </USA> tags will it? I suggest to you that it is extremely unlikely that a site just happens to be inaccessible in one country due to a coding error.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll be the <USA> </USA> tags will it? I suggest to you that it is extremely unlikely that a site just happens to be inaccessible in one country due to a coding error.

Don't patronise me. I'm suggesting it's a technical glitch - I'm sorry I can't identify exactly what it might be :rolleyes: - since there's no rational reason for it to be unavailable only in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the same error and I'm in the south east of England. I was hopping mad...it's the first time I've had a site censored from me like that, and I wanted to check on the Aaron Carter rumour that was doing the rounds last night.

Stupid, stupid people. Who the hell thinks this is a website worth censoring when there are so many horrible places like 4Chan which are allowed to stay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Far more likely to be a technical glitch than a deliberate blocking. Who exactly would be behind the site being blocked ? It's just ridiculous to even consider that as more likely than a technical issue....

Seeing as it doesn't work from my iphone either (which uses O2) then it's a technical fault, no doubt about it.