Distracted children are sharper

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/9149684/Children-whose-minds-wander-have-sharper-brains.html

So much for all the medication children are put on to stay focused! Did anyone believe this was true before reading it?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be discovering that water is wet next! There is nothing new about this, it was often said (circa 40 yrs ago and more) that people whose eyes darted around the room while they were being interviewed might well be working on several 'problems' at once as well as being focussed on the chat - and I can hardly believe people are paid to research into stuff that's been known for ever!
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was my daughter all over, especially at Primary. I had the teachers continually claiming that she was a daydreamer who never paid attention (she has adhd) I think she was just bored and liked to occupy her own mind,, if the teacher was a bit boring. she's one of those who has continual internal conversations. She was tested at seven to find out what the matter with her was and filled all the criteria for ADHD, she was also found to have a higher than average IQ and a reading age of someone almost twice her age.
    So while it may seem that she isn't paying attention and she rarely gives eye contact when you're talking to her, she's actually probably far more intelligent than the person trying to get her attention so yeah I knew all of this years ago. Doesn't stop her from being a complete pain in the arse though.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was my daughter all over, especially at Primary. I had the teachers continually claiming that she was a daydreamer who never paid attention (she has adhd) I think she was just bored and liked to occupy her own mind,, if the teacher was a bit boring. she's one of those who has continual internal conversations. She was tested at seven to find out what the matter with her was and filled all the criteria for ADHD, she was also found to have a higher than average IQ and a reading age of someone almost twice her age.
    So while it may seem that she isn't paying attention and she rarely gives eye contact when you're talking to her, she's actually probably far more intelligent than the person trying to get her attention so yeah I knew all of this years ago. Doesn't stop her from being a complete pain in the arse though.
    I still do this now. :o
    I work in an open plan office and will be working on a spreadsheet, or document, while listening to several ongoing conversations at the same time.
    Often I don't even know I'm doing it.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

my ADHD son is like that
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so. I was always said to be 'distracted', and it's been more of a burden than a feature. Eg. not being able to focus on something. Although this sort of distracted could be different than the sort of focus-deficient distraction. Just seems a little misleading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ADD ,ADHD= myth.:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missille wrote: »

not...
  • The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    missille wrote: »

I am not sure how anyone can state that with any authority. I know for certain OCD exists, how could I then state that ADHD doesn't. I think if it has been diagnosed via CAMHS after the lengthy investigative processes which involve the schools etc. then it does.

Do some parents who have childern who are not diagnosed use this an excuse, I am sure they do, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was my daughter all over, especially at Primary. I had the teachers continually claiming that she was a daydreamer who never paid attention (she has adhd) I think she was just bored and liked to occupy her own mind,, if the teacher was a bit boring. she's one of those who has continual internal conversations. She was tested at seven to find out what the matter with her was and filled all the criteria for ADHD, she was also found to have a higher than average IQ and a reading age of someone almost twice her age.So while it may seem that she isn't paying attention and she rarely gives eye contact when you're talking to her, she's actually probably far more intelligent than the person trying to get her attention so yeah I knew all of this years ago. Doesn't stop her from being a complete pain in the arse though.
    You've made breathe a huge sigh of relief. My son is 8 and sounds your daughter. His teacher suspects dyspraxia. He's above his age in reading, spelling and reading comprehension but oh does his mind wander.
  • GnugnuGnugnu Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "My kids are smart, they get bored easily and that's why they misbehave, cos they are smart!" is what crap parents say about their naughty children to make excuses for their lack of parenting skills.

Sure ADD and ADHD exists in some children. But no way as many as shit parents would have you believe. The drugs are way oversubscribed.

I live in Poland now. The standard of children's behaviour is absolutely amazing. I went to a shopping centre yesterday and saw not ONE toddler crying. Last week I saw a whole class (about 15) 5 year olds being led by their teacher. Not one of them was shouting and misbehaving. I went to a restaurant and there were children and there was no crying, and no endless amount of books and toys to keep the little mites entertained. They don't have to be continually entertained because the parenting is good here and the family support is widespread.

Kids here are simply taught how to behave.

We can believe that British children are more "sick" if we like, or we can believe that the reason so many more behave this way in the UK is because "our kids are smarter" but that does a disservice to out children. All this is writing our kids off because a lot of parents refuse to knowledge their parenting skills are lacking (across ALL classes in society), and it would dent their ego far to much to acknowledge their faults and that they perhaps have been taking the wrong approach.

At the moment the prevailing attitude seems to be lets drug all our kids, or call them "smart and bored" so that the adults don't have to take responsibility for their kids neglect.

Seriously come to Poland - and see for yourself the calibre of the children here -it's not because the kids are smarter or sicker.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've made breathe a huge sigh of relief. My son is 8 and sounds your daughter. His teacher suspects dyspraxia. He's above his age in reading, spelling and reading comprehension but oh does his mind wander.

She's 16 now and nothing much has changed, she's still living in her own little world. I've got used to the lack of eye contact over the years, I used to get mad at her, thinking she was being rude and purposely not listening to me though I still get embarrassed on her behalf when someone else is talking to her about something important and she is gazing off into the distance because I can't be doing with explaining her behaviour to everyone!
    She used to have her teachers absolutely baffled when they would give me her grade estimates at parents evening (all that 4a stuff) and she turned out to be level 6b or whatever. They just couldn't work out how she was achieving high grades when she spent most lessons doodling or gazing out of the window.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So while it may seem that she isn't attention and she rarely gives eye contact when you're talking to her, she's actually probably far more intelligent than the person trying to get her attention so yeah I knew all of this years ago. Doesn't stop her from being a complete pain in the arse though.

Not in any position to cast doubt on the diagnosis of ADHD but it sound like she is more ADD with hypo activity as opposed to with hyperactivity.
    I suspect that ADHD is over diagnosed but ADD is under diagnosed, especially on girls. We tend to be the ones quietly underachieving in the corner day dreaming, whilst our hyperactive brothers are causing havoc and getting the attention. Added to the problem is if the girl is very bright. If she is seen to be performing average or even above, there is little chance to realise that there is a problem and that she should be performing way way above average. Although your daughter seems to be performing well which is great :) there are so many variables depending on which of the wide range of potential traits any person actually has that affect how well they perform. This can mean that if someone is struggling, one wee fix on one manifestation can mean they start to soar.

I have ADD. I can also have hyperactive can't sit still, need to pace moments, but I am more often in the day dream.