Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Fascinating, Biffpup, thanks for sharing! Now I wonder why they ended up using "Here Comes the Bride" instead of the Pachelbel Canon (which, incidentally, is what I used at my wedding)? And "Abide with Me" would be an odd choice for a wedding, as it is usually sung at funerals, as you mentioned. OTOH, the Scripture selection from Colossians is well-chosen, as Rob noted.

With all due respect to the seller, how do we know the program is real? Or maybe I'm just jaundiced in this era of computers, photoshopping, etc.:rolleyes:

On an unrelated note, does anyone know why DM didn't bring back his original office furniture this season? I get that in S5, he didn't know if he'd stay so it made sense to use the stuff from Dr. Dibbs. But he'd made that decision by the beginning of S6. And it appeared his stuff was being moved to London, not disposed of. Not to mention that Dr. Dibbs might want her stuff back to keep, sell or whatever. And most importantly, DM's office furniture was better looking!

On a practical note, it has to be in storage somewhere unless BP sold it. So what happened to it and why did we get the clunky wood stuff in S6?
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Marchand

Claire Bloom and Eileen Atkins were top actors in the Uk with worldwide exposure for many years well before Doc Martin. They made the show this year
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Reading by Ruth Ellingham:

Colossians 3:12-17 English Standard Version (ESV)

12 Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

14 And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. 15 And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful.

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
    = = =
    All you need is love.... and that ladies and germs is the moral of the story!

Rob

That's so far the single most hopeful sign for a positive resolution in the (as yet) hypothetical S7. And a lot of forgiveness will be necessary, as well as forebearance.
    NP: Gah!! NO! This is not how the fairy tale ends!!!

But ...."ours is not that kind of show."
    Doors. Doors are important. They can be open or closed and there have been a lot (I'm sure shopgirl can tell us off the top of her head) of them meeting in doorways in this little play over six series. As soon I saw the "talking thru the door scene" in E8, it immediately struck me that THIS time, the door is CLOSED! Just then I knew we were in for a poignant and sad ride.

I used to work with a lady who grew up in a very Polish family in Detroit. She used to say (Polish saying): "If is a king." If only they had talked, if only they had listened, if only one had asked the other for help, if only...

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: "It might have been!" (Does anyone read John Greenleaf Whittier any more? ) That line has stuck with me since junior high,.
  • Options
    SapphicGrrlSapphicGrrl Posts: 3,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marchand

Claire Bloom and Eileen Atkins were top actors in the Uk with worldwide exposure for many years well before Doc Martin. They made the show this year
    Erm, yes - the show was lucky to get them! :) (Not the other way round, lol.)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ggo85 wrote: »
    With all due respect to the seller, how do we know the program is real? Or maybe I'm just jaundiced in this era of computers, photoshopping, etc.:rolleyes:

Perhaps I got this wrong, but it seemed to me when I peeked at the eBay listing last night the top bid was 3 pounds and now it is 33! I think this item is authentic, but it seems there is a market for additional, even black market, DM merchandise. I DO still quite like the idea of the inflatable DM doll - but it would be fun to come up with items from this series a la Honeymoon Bed Bug Spray, Portwenn Radio's Favorite Hits, How I Became Catnip to Receptionists by Al Large, The OCD Manny's Infant Playbook, Louisa Ellingham Designer Arm Sling, The Doc Martin Cornwall Diet, etc., etc.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    That's so far the single most hopeful sign for a positive resolution in the (as yet) hypothetical S7. And a lot of forgiveness will be necessary, as well as forebearance.

But ...."ours is not that kind of show."

"For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: "It might have been!" (Does anyone read John Greenleaf Whittier any more? ) That line has stuck with me since junior high,.

I love the quote from Whittier even though Kurt Vonnegut bastardized it to speak "of mice and men" rather than of "word and pen"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    Something I noticed about the bathroom/bedroom scene in E8, Throughout the series, their bedroom has looked cramped and cluttered. As DM stands there and looks at her suitcase, the room looks much more spacious and tidy, in fact it looks empty. It's almost like the camera is saying, well DM, you wanted more room and it nice and neat. And now that's all you have.

In the series 5 episode (I bought a fish scene) there was a dresser between the door and JH's crib. The scene that you are talking about there is nothing there which might make it look bigger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the folk singer's house was Al's fixer-upper back in "On the Edge"? (pretty sure it was On the Edge). Shop Girl, I bet you already spotted that, didn't you?

Also, I actually wished Martin had said yes when the singer asked if he wanted to hear the song he was writing about Louisa leaving. :cool:

When that scene opened up the singer was singing a song before Doc knocked on his door. The lyrics were: With her long dark hair and her crooked little smile she slipped away.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I just realized something interesting in set decorating continuity. I was surprised to see the green toilet in the bathroom in E8, because I guess I assumed that Martin might have upgraded the plumbing in the years since he bought the place. But then I remembered that when we saw him in the bathroom last series the sink was also green, so it really fits.

But I was just looking at something from the very first episode and had forgotten that the old sink in the consulting room that caused the introduction to the Large & Son plumbers was also green!

Bravo set decorators!

I noticed the green toilet and fixtures too, but I have been watching some Men Behaving Badly lately and noticed that Gary and Tony's bathroom also had a green sink and toilet too. I thought that was awfully coincidental. I know, I'm a kook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I noticed the green toilet and fixtures too, but I have been watching some Men Behaving Badly lately and noticed that Gary and Tony's bathroom also had a green sink and toilet too. I thought that was awfully coincidental. I know, I'm a kook.
    :D:D You make me feel like some shallow, brainless robot, who's incapable of seeing something right under their nose. (We have a show here called Gogglebox, where the TV films the watchers - we see a row of gormless, open-mouthed drones gaping at the the screen. Is this what I've become, lol? ;))

My claim to fame - my OH's best friend is married to a Men Behaving Badly script editor. Boom-tish! :D
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    lulu4doc wrote: »
    In the series 5 episode (I bought a fish scene) there was a dresser between the door and JH's crib. The scene that you are talking about there is nothing there which might make it look bigger.

Sorry, I meant all of series 6 - there was a clear effort (it seemed to me) to make the bedroom looked cramped, with LG and DM having to dance around each other to maneuver. The bedroom in the last episode looked very empty and uncluttered. I think this was a metaphor for his life without LG. Yes, it's uncluttered...but also pretty empty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D You make me feel like some shallow, brainless robot, who's incapable of seeing something right under their nose. (We have a show here called Gogglebox, where the TV films the watchers - we see a row of gormless, open-mouthed drones gaping at the the screen. Is this what I've become, lol? ;))

My claim to fame - my OH's best friend is married to a Men Behaving Badly script editor. Boom-tish! :D

Sorry, we Medical Doctors have eyes for ridiculous details....goes with the territory.....picture frames, lamps, shoes...silly things. Congratulations on your claim to fame. My claim is I won a jello salad from a food demo when I was a Girl Scout and by the time I got it home it was flat as a pancake and resembled a mucousy blob. I think yours is better. Bah dah boom!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, we Medical Doctors have eyes for ridiculous details....goes with the territory.....picture frames, lamps, shoes...silly things. Congratulations on your claim to fame. My claim is I won a jello salad from a food demo when I was a Girl Scout and by the time I got it home it was flat as a pancake and resembled a mucousy blob. I think yours is better. Bah dah boom!
    I'm very glad you docs DO all have an eye for detail, lol. :) (Did you hear about David Suchet, who plays Poirot? A doctor was watching him on TV, and didn't like the look of his eyes. He contacted Suchet and advised him to have tests for heart disease, which he did - the tests showed he was at risk. Suchet said later, "I'm very grateful to that man. Even if I'm taken tomorrow, perhaps I'll have lived longer than I would have done if he had not alerted me.") We love fussy nit-picking doctors - don't worry! ;) (It's the ones that don't look up when you walk in the surgery that worry me!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I meant all of series 6 - there was a clear effort (it seemed to me) to make the bedroom looked cramped, with LG and DM having to dance around each other to maneuver. The bedroom in the last episode looked very empty and uncluttered. I think this was a metaphor for his life without LG. Yes, it's uncluttered...but also pretty empty.

Yes, I think it was intended to be almost claustrophobic in feeling -- or adding to the feeling of being boxed in (and shut down).

Also, the bathroom door seems to be in the place where his clothes closet has sometimes been, and I do think the bathroom was slightly differently located in S5 (although still green), There was a shot, in E2 or E3 (?) where he is folding her lingerie and flattening the tube of toothpaste while they talk about his new flat in London.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Fascinating, Biffpup, thanks for sharing! Now I wonder why they ended up using "Here Comes the Bride" instead of the Pachelbel Canon (which, incidentally, is what I used at my wedding)? And "Abide with Me" would be an odd choice for a wedding, as it is usually sung at funerals, as you mentioned. OTOH, the Scripture selection from Colossians is well-chosen, as Rob noted.

In going back to look at this regarding the Pachelbel Canon (my favorite classical piece), I also heard again Morwenna's question about whether Doc had changed. I always thought that comment a bit weird. But this time I noticed that he was wearing a red tie with a dark suit during the woman's exam, and then changed into another dark suit and red tie. Thus Morwenna's wondering if he'd changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think it was intended to be almost claustrophobic in feeling -- or adding to the feeling of being boxed in (and shut down).

Also, the bathroom door seems to be in the place where his clothes closet has sometimes been, and I do think the bathroom was slightly differently located in S5 (although still green), There was a shot, in E2 or E3 (?) where he is folding her lingerie and flattening the tube of toothpaste while they talk about his new flat in London.

The bathroom was opposite the foot of the bed there, wasn't it? Ah, the Port Wenn effect is always in operation...and I love it. They really don't give a s**t what is or has been. It's lovely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bathroom was opposite the foot of the bed there, wasn't it? Ah, the Port Wenn effect is always in operation...and I love it. They really don't give a s**t what is or has been. It's lovely.

I agree - it's part of the quirky charm of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree - it's part of the quirky charm of the show.

They change the sets around like they do the babies, who are apparently interchangeable. It seems similar to the Portwenn Effect, but I would perhaps call it the Portwenn Gestalt.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, the bathroom door was in the same spot in S5 & S6. In fact, I was surprised to see the bathtub in this last episode, but going back and looking at Martin in the bathroom in S5 you can see the spot where the bathtub is - the camera just doesn't pan down far enough to see it but if you look closely you can see the faucet. I now suspect that they constructed that bathroom and bedroom on the farm for S5 & S6.

The closet is also in the same place in S5 & S6. If you were lying on the bed it would be at the foot of the bed in the right corner - to the right of the dresser. The dresser is gone in S6, but there is now a slightly smaller one over behind the door when it is open. In the scene (in S5) where Martin tells Louisa that he has named JH you can see the closet doors in the background.

One interesting thing about the bedroom in the earlier series. The first two series when we saw the bedroom there were just quick views of the bed and maybe a nightstand, but the room looked small and pretty unadorned (and not always the same). In S3 we saw the bedroom in two different episodes: the one where he woke up still in his suit the morning after the concert and the day of the wedding where we saw him dress for it two different times. This bedroom was a much more polished room (even the one now in S5 & S6 is much more rustic). It had a fireplace, lots of pictures on the walls and lots of decor on the mantle and dresser. Also, no sloped ceilings and it had real paneled doors. The closet where we saw him go twice on the wedding day to get his suits is very similar to the closet they constructed in the new set - in fact, the wallpaper inside is identical. The top area above the closet is different however. So they did a really good job of duplicating that closet, but the whole bedroom is very different from the S3 bedroom. I am of the firm belief that in S1-S4 they used any bedroom they could get in a cottage being rented by someone involved in the production when they needed a bedroom scene. These were usually very short scenes and that's how I think they got them done. I hope to one day meet Johnny Bamford and find out for sure ;)

Wow - more info than anyone ever wanted, eh? I am working on some things to illustrate all this - should be read to unveil in another week or so for anyone interested! :D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, the bathroom door was in the same spot in S5 & S6. In fact, I was surprised to see the bathtub in this last episode, but going back and looking at Martin in the bathroom in S5 you can see the spot where the bathtub is - the camera just doesn't pan down far enough to see it but if you look closely you can see the faucet. I now suspect that they constructed that bathroom and bedroom on the farm for S5 & S6.

The closet is also in the same place in S5 & S6. If you were lying on the bed it would be at the foot of the bed in the right corner - to the right of the dresser. The dresser is gone in S6, but there is now a slightly smaller one over behind the door when it is open. In the scene (in S5) where Martin tells Louisa that he has named JH you can see the closet doors in the background.

One interesting thing about the bedroom in the earlier series. The first two series when we saw the bedroom there were just quick views of the bed and maybe a nightstand, but the room looked small and pretty unadorned (and not always the same). In S3 we saw the bedroom in two different episodes: the one where he woke up still in his suit the morning after the concert and the day of the wedding where we saw him dress for it two different times. This bedroom was a much more polished room (even the one now in S5 & S6 is much more rustic). It had a fireplace, lots of pictures on the walls and lots of decor on the mantle and dresser. Also, no sloped ceilings and it had real paneled doors. The closet where we saw him go twice on the wedding day to get his suits is very similar to the closet they constructed in the new set - in fact, the wallpaper inside is identical. The top area above the closet is different however. So they did a really good job of duplicating that closet, but the whole bedroom is very different from the S3 bedroom. I am of the firm belief that in S1-S4 they used any bedroom they could get in a cottage being rented by someone involved in the production when they needed a bedroom scene. These were usually very short scenes and that's how I think they got them done. I hope to one day meet Johnny Bamford and find out for sure ;)

Wow - more info than anyone ever wanted, eh? I am working on some things to illustrate all this - should be read to unveil in another week or so for anyone interested! :D:D:D

I love you Shop Girl. You make me feel a little less insane.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I love you Shop Girl. You make me feel a little less insane.

Me too. :)

And was it just me, or was Morwenna's bedroom clearly LG's bedroom from S3, with a paint job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm terribly sorry if you're squirming with embarrassment at the thought of revealing our naff viewing habits to our cousins across the pond - but there it is. Even if you don't watch talent shows and soaps - 10,000,000+ do, lol! ;)

Embarrassed ? Not me

I just dislike sweeping generalisations that are untrue

Over 9 million people watched at least ONE other programme during the same week that Doc Martin was aired in the UK

You missed the point - figures can show ANYTHING if you do not show them ALL

You just lose the perspective
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue-Eyes wrote: »
    Embarrassed ? Not me

I just dislike sweeping generalisations that are untrue

Over 9 million people watched at least ONE other programme during the same week that Doc Martin was aired in the UK

You missed the point - figures can show ANYTHING if you do not show them ALL

You just lose the perspective
    What I did was to show the top 10 viewing figures for all programmes shown on those days - taken from the BARB ratings. So I did show them ALL - within those days. (It's no good arguing that more people watched TGBBO if they didn't.) I am not a ratings-skewer - I used to work in broadcasting and know pretty much how this works. (Your statement "Over 9 million people watched at least ONE other programme during the same week that Doc Martin was aired in the UK" is actually more misleading than any stats I've quoted, because you don't show any comparisons.)

This really isn't complicated - you just go http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10 and select what weeks etc. you want to view. One thing that I have discovered is that the terrestrial channels outperform the satellite ones by miles, so they don't need to be counted - they never get near the top 10. (Work it out for yourself if you don't believe me!) :)
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too. :)

And was it just me, or was Morwenna's bedroom clearly LG's bedroom from S3, with a paint job.

Hmmmmmmmm. Should I be pleased that I am helping people feel better about themselves or concerned about how insane I really am?

:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmmmmm. Should I be pleased that I am helping people feel better about themselves or concerned about how insane I really am?

:D:eek::D:eek::D:eek::D

Consider it a compliment, because truly we're all bozos on this bus.....but it's really fun! There are worse things we could be doing.
This discussion has been closed.