Options

ICloud back up - 23 hours?

scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
Forum Member
✭✭
As my old contract is almost up I went into the IStore and looked at the IPhone 6.

Decided that's what i'll go for after Christmas.

assistant was really helpful, showed me different tarrifs etc.

I asked if they would set my new phone up and transfer numbers across to new phone etc, she said yes. - I'd leave the shop with new phone working and set up as my old phone was. She said I hadn't backed up Icloud. I'd never used it and she went ahead and explained it meant if phone lost, replaced etc it still gives you access to pictures, documents etc.

In the shop it said the back-up would take 45 minutes, so I decided to back up today.

Only instead of 45mins it's now saying back up will take 23 hours lol ??

Can anyone explain how this can be? It's on my home Wi-Fi.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably down to the upload speed of your broadband. The shop would have something quite fast at a guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrMick wrote: »
    Probably down to the upload speed of your broadband. The shop would have something quite fast at a guess.

Thanks very much - It was the only reason I could think of. As I'm also on my laptop, I suppose that's slowing down Wi-Fi a bit too, as it's on wifi also.

I'll see how it goes, maybe they'll let me do the back up in store. She would have done it yesterday if I had been buying the new phone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Backup to/restore from iTunes for this time.

Once you're up and running with your new phone, let it do a wireless backup to iCloud overnight, then you're good to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backup to/restore from iTunes for this time.

Once you're up and running with your new phone, let it do a wireless backup to iCloud overnight, then you're good to go.

Oh that's a clever idea!

Thanks very much!
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To make a icloud backup quicker look in the icloud settings and maybe turn off camera roll from icloud for the first back up. Pictures and videos could potentially take the longest to upload
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    gavo360 wrote: »
    To make a icloud backup quicker look in the icloud settings and maybe turn off camera roll from icloud for the first back up. Pictures and videos could potentially take the longest to upload

That kinda defeats the object of backing up the phone in the first place...
  • Options
    gavo360gavo360 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That kinda defeats the object of backing up the phone in the first place...

Not really. I backed up my pics and videos to Dropbox rather than icloud. I did find icloud very good for app data and everything else though.