Options

Shooting at Paris satirical magazine office

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    I didn't look because really I just wasn't interested not that I think I'm going to get struck by lightening or anything..

I'm just really interested in why you said "He's not GOD?"

As has been said Mohammed is a Phrophet , the Muslim for God is Allah.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mohammed is a prophet. A prophet is not a god

I know that. Its just that Rhum's post seemed to be suggesting that there was a GOD who might not be up for ridicule.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What utter utter garbage.

You do realise that's exactly how the extremists think right? The whole "You're a target because of your religion, leave it else" mentality? You realise it plays exactly into the hands of the bad people who are attempting to whip up such extreme views in young and vulnerable people who are easily led? The bad people who suggest the West is out to "get" Muslims and there is a crusade against Islam? You're fuelling that fire of ignorance.
    Well put.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    As has been said Mohammed is a Phrophet , the Muslim for God is Allah.

If he were alive today, he'd be called a terrorist, in all probability.
  • Options
    BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    It sounds like no denunciation of events like this from Muslims is good enough for you no matter how strongly worded it is.

I don't doubt that the unqualified apologies are genuine but it's not a question of apologies; its a question of Muslims accepting that it's Islam as a faith, rather than (i) the tooth fairy or (ii) jews (shopping for the sabbath or otherwise) That are ultimately responsible for radical Islamism.

Of course, The Roman Catholic Church authorised the Crusades which was merely an extension of that which ISIS, Al quaeda or whoever seek but that was, literally, in the Middle Ages. Humanity has (or should have) moved on.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to be a third hostage situation in France -> http://rt.com/news/221255-montpellier-jewelery-hostage-france/

:(
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    so i see abu hamza just got life in US prison
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »

That is good news no doubt some people will not be happy with that sentence.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It really was up to you to post that. :D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uivPpzCGo
  • Options
    The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Ah, some good news!!
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    should be given the lethal injection of toilet duck
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    Seems to be a third hostage situation in France -> http://rt.com/news/221255-montpellier-jewelery-hostage-france/

If it's a robbery, it's probably not the cleverest thing to do, when the city's full of special forces.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    not doubting you but a lot of those links don't work , wonder if they've been removed ... ?

They're not are they.

Ummah and muslim youth forums aren't working either.
    Call me a cynic but I think somebody doesn't want Muslim hotheads on forums putting them in a very bad light.

Has anybody got a link to any Muslim forum that hasn't shut up shop, where they are discussing the days events?
  • Options
    Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member

probably just an opportunistic robbery - they thought all the police would be distracted and elsewhere
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, some good news!!

Indeed. Hope we never hear of him again.
  • Options
    fastzombiefastzombie Posts: 10,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard a lot of opinions in the media online personally, and I still really don't know what the answer is, what's the best way forward.

One blogger made the, I believe valid point, that however tragic this is, it's small fry compared to the amount of civilian muslim casualties bombed and shot by western troops over the years, and another pointed out that usually when some provocative image is published and sparks uproar it's usually muslims that die in the subsequent riots. The point being that if you're going to exercise your freedom of expression and know that the consequences may well lead to loss of life, is that really about free speech or making a point responibly.

On the other hand I cannot get my head around the idea that any cultural, religious, societal icon, no matter how deeply revered, can be used to justify cold blooded murder.

That's it, I don't have an opinion, just tons of conflicting thoughts and feelings going around in my head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're not are they.

Ummah and muslim youth forums aren't working either.
    Call me a cynic but I think somebody doesn't want Muslim hotheads on forums putting them in a very bad light.

Has anybody got a link to any Muslim forum that hasn't shut up shop, where they are discussing the days events?

I wonder if it's DDOS attacks. Hackers said they were going to target Islamist sites.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a commonly held belief that Islam the religion isn't responsible for producing an endless stream of monsters, who kill and maim, when it clearly is. And that the issue lies with 'extremists'and radicals' - as if they are are a seperate entity.

And that we should be cautious when being critical of Islam, just in case it leads to more terrorist recruits. But Islam has every right to be criticised and 'demonised' for producing these barbaric murderers - it is not above criticism.

And of course events in Paris will lead to some kind of backlash against all Parisian muslims to a degree, innocent or otherwise.

But that's tough, if you belong to a group (islam) that is responsible such atrocities, either leave that group, or expect others to be wary/not like you very much. It goes with the territory
    I'm guessing you don't have many Muslim friends otherwise you'd have stopped before pressing 'Submit Reply' and thought again.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    If it's a robbery, it's probably not the cleverest thing to do, when the city's full of special forces.

Why would Montpellier be full of special forces?
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I nearly posted before the shootout that now might be a good time to rob a jewellers in Paris, what with the police being busy. Thought that might be rather flippant under the circumstances.
  • Options
    Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Is it me or is the news on the female terrorist very quiet?

Surely she's either been killed or captured?

I'd be astonished if she escaped, but there's literally nothing news wise on her, strange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why would Montpellier be full of special forces?

D'oh! I thought it was Montmartre. Ignore me :blush:
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apparently "During the sentencing, his lawyers asked the judge to take into account his missing hands and eye."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30754959

I wonder what sort of difference they expected that to make? Maybe he will be exempt from sewing mail bags but might make a good mugtree for the prison kitchen. :D
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fastzombie wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of opinions in the media online personally, and I still really don't know what the answer is, what's the best way forward.

One blogger made the, I believe valid point, that however tragic this is, it's small fry compared to the amount of civilian muslim casualties bombed and shot by western troops over the years, and another pointed out that usually when some provocative image is published and sparks uproar it's usually muslims that die in the subsequent riots. The point being that if you're going to exercise your freedom of expression and know that the consequences may well lead to loss of life, is that really about free speech or making a point responibly.

On the other hand I cannot get my head around the idea that any cultural, religious, societal icon, no matter how deeply revered, can be used to justify cold blooded murder.

That's it, I don't have an opinion, just tons of conflicting thoughts and feelings going around in my head.
    The answer is to stop feeding the beast. In this case Radical imams who used these cartoons as propaganda for terrorist recruiters and show that we in the West aren't as reactionary or hate filled as they are.