Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Kyrgios' glamourous young 'mum' (discussed yesterday) was actually his sister. I actually thought she was his girlfriend. haha
  • Options
    Nathers7Nathers7 Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Just from seeing things on Twitter/Online

You really narrowed it down there :kitty:

It's a win/win match for me, similar to New York. Another competitive encounter would be great.
  • Options
    CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Nathers7 wrote: »
    You really narrowed it down there :kitty:

It's a win/win match for me, similar to New York. Another competitive encounter would be great.

Ah it's prob just me
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lyn2 wrote: »
    I see Kyrgios' glamourous young 'mum' (discussed yesterday) was actually his sister. I actually thought she was his girlfriend. haha

Oh I see, I didn't see the camera pan to her and just did a Google search. That's why I didn't think she looked particularly young.
  • Options
    NewWorldManNewWorldMan Posts: 4,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    Why is Aga always so miserable at the end of a match with the handshake. She should take a tip from the men who on the whole are really generous at the handshake.

General difference between the men and the women. The women tend to just slap hands unless they're friends, in which case they might kiss each other. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    I like Aga, but I found her really rude when she lost the Wimbledon semi to Sabine, really rude in the handshake and then saying if she had lost to Bartolli she would have smashed all of her racquets.

Is that because she never lost to Bartoli?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Lisicki herself was quite OTT in her bawling in the middle of the final but these situations are highly stressful so maybe we can give them some leeway.

I doubt she did it on purpose! She just couldn't handle the situation and at that point was playing embarrassingly badly. But she did get better towards the end and I think that match was a good argument for having best of five in the final. She wouldn't have been so panicked after her disastrous first set.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on the QFs. Feel free to quote me when I get these predictions horribly wrong :D

Nadal vs Berdych- Yawn. Berdych has the game to beat Nadal but not the balls. This is as NID as it gets. Nadal in 3, 4 at most. Berd will waste every chance he gets.

Murray vs Kyrgios- Kyrgios could cause trouble but unless he gets inspired, I think Murray will have too much for him and win in 4 sets.

Djoko vs Raonic- Djoko is the heavy favourite but Milos could cause trouble if he serves very well. Bound to be at least one tie break. I guess I will go Djoko in 3 or 4 but I don't think it will be as one sided as some think.

Stan vs Kei- the most exciting QF match. Hope it doesn't disappoint. It really could go either way, I wouldn't like to bet on it. Whoever wins will probably win in 4 though.

Maria vs Genie- Maria in 2 sets for me. Genie pushed her hard at the FO but I think Maria will be too much for her here if she plays well.

Makarova vs Halep- Makarova has played very well and Simona hasn't been at her best throughout. I still think Halep will edge it in 3 though.

Serena vs Cibulkova- Serena has been far from her best and Domi played very well against Vika, but I think Serena will win. 2 sets if she starts well, 3 if she starts poorly as she has been doing.

Venus vs Keys- Excited for this, should be a big hitting match. I think Keys might edge it in 3 but Venus has surprised me so I wouldn't be that shocked if she takes this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I doubt she did it on purpose! She just couldn't handle the situation and at that point was playing embarrassingly badly. But she did get better towards the end and I think that match was a good argument for having best of five in the final. She wouldn't have been so panicked after her disastrous first set.

Yep, people can do strange things in matches, just unfortunate for them the whole world is watching

I think Lisicki would have won that in best of 5, she was 5 times the player Bartoli was
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Domi played so well in that first set. She's a sexy little minx when she's in full flow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just from seeing things on Twitter/Online

Also, I've barely heard Wawrinka mentioned all week, yet Kei seems to be constantly talked about

He seems to be the new flavour of the month

I think it's just that he seems to be a bit ahead of the other up-and-comers. So, if they're not plumping for one of the big four then they've got to have someone else to talk about!

Stan, of course, has been around for a decade so not as interesting to talk about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with this sentiment, I wouldn't actually say he's the best at nullifying big serves. He often struggles to read big serves and seems more vulnerable against them on grass.

Not as vulnerable as Rafa! Anyway, his vulnerability didn't do him any harm last Wimbledon!
    I'd have peak murray and even Federer ahead of Novak in this aspect.

Yes, about right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makarova vs Halep- Makarova has played very well and Simona hasn't been at her best throughout. I still think Halep will edge it in 3 though.

Serena vs Cibulkova- Serena has been far from her best and Domi played very well against Vika, but I think Serena will win. 2 sets if she starts well, 3 if she starts poorly as she has been doing.

As in other sports, being able to win when you're not at your best is the sign of a champion.
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I agree with this sentiment, I wouldn't actually say he's the best at nullifying big serves. He often struggles to read big serves and seems more vulnerable against them on grass.

I'd have peak murray and even Federer ahead of Novak in this aspect. Novak of course is the best returner in general (getting ball back into play , hitting deep returns off first serves, return winners etc)

Even though Roger isn't as good a returner as Andy and, in particular, Nole, he is the best at returning big serves. The way he effortlessly dealt with Roddick's serve was astonishing. He just seems to know how to return those big serves, even now. That is why I think his ROS is underrated.

Obviously he isn't Djoko, Agassi, Murray or Daveed level, but it can be a great shot and was particularly in his prime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Lisicki would have won that in best of 5, she was 5 times the player Bartoli was

I wouldn't necessarily have gone that far but it certainly would have been more competitive. Sabine would surely have won a set or two.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even though Roger isn't as good a returner as Andy and, in particular, Nole, he is the best at returning big serves. The way he effortlessly dealt with Roddick's serve was astonishing. He just seems to know how to return those big serves, even now.

Yes, I'd agree with that.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Venus, there's life in the old girl yet.

In her own words;
    "This old cat has some tricks left up her sleeve":D

She's utterly delightful and no other player deserves this kind of late-career success more than Venus.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There used to be a lot of conspiracy theory's about the Williams sisters pre arranging who wins when they play each other. I've absolutely no idea if that is true, probably is a load of sh1t, but if it is you can absolutely be 100% sure that Venus will NOT defeat Serena given Serena at age 33 is looking for GOAT status to overhaul Graff and Court.
  • Options
    amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though Roger isn't as good a returner as Andy and, in particular, Nole, he is the best at returning big serves. The way he effortlessly dealt with Roddick's serve was astonishing. He just seems to know how to return those big serves, even now. That is why I think his ROS is underrated.

Obviously he isn't Djoko, Agassi, Murray or Daveed level, but it can be a great shot and was particularly in his prime.

Roger is great at blocking it back in or sometimes coming up with something special, ironically the faster their serve the easier it goes for him. In the final of Brisbane Milos fired a huge serve, one of the biggest and Roger got it back and with interest.

I think his poor conversion rates of BP's really hurts him in rating him as a good returner. He can get into a lot of service games, yet not convert it into a break easily!
    That's one of the reasons he leads the list of players who win more points in matches they end up loosing! ^_^
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    In her own words;
    "This old cat has some tricks left up her sleeve":D

She's utterly delightful and no other player deserves this kind of late-career success more than Venus.

I agree, Venus is one of my favourite ever players. I thought she'd lost it in the second set but then came strong again and I'd love her to get through another round and keep fit and healthy throughout the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's just that he seems to be a bit ahead of the other up-and-comers. So, if they're not plumping for one of the big four then they've got to have someone else to talk about!

Stan, of course, has been around for a decade so not as interesting to talk about.

True! They seemed to have moved on from Dimitrov :D . The coverage he got last year at Wimbledon was mental (I mean in week one even) it'll be the exact same again this year

In fairness Grigor is very photogenic, his style is very easy on the eye, seems like a nice guy and is dating one of the most famous female athletes on the plenet. Rightly or wrongly he naturally attracts attention, unlike someone like Milos
    Not as vulnerable as Rafa! Anyway, his vulnerability didn't do him any harm last Wimbledon!

Rafa is by far the most vulnerable of the "Big 4" v big servers. Heh, while Djok can be slightly vulnerable he's still not that vulnerable. Yes he won Wimbledon but he was well rattled at times v Cilic and Dimitrov, two big servers

Federer has a great record v Raonic and Karlovic too

Murray enjoys playing big servers I think!
    amelia_lee wrote: »
    Roger is great at blocking it back in or sometimes coming up with something special, ironically the faster their serve the easier it goes for him. In the final of Brisbane Milos fired a huge serve, one of the biggest and Roger got it back and with interest.

I think his poor conversion rates of BP's really hurts him in rating him as a good returner. He can get into a lot of service games, yet not convert it into a break easily!
    That's one of the reasons he leads the list of players who win more points in matches they end up loosing! ^_^

Yeah in recent times Fed's BP conversion really has been poor at times
  • Options
    lola14lola14 Posts: 3,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkie66 wrote: »
    I agree, Venus is one of my favourite ever players. I thought she'd lost it in the second set but then came strong again and I'd love her to get through another round and keep fit and healthy throughout the year.

I was so pleased for her. She looked so happy in the on court interview! Also one of the better outfit, at this year's Aussie Open!
  • Options
    lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on the QFs. Feel free to quote me when I get these predictions horribly wrong :D

Nadal vs Berdych- Yawn. Berdych has the game to beat Nadal but not the balls. This is as NID as it gets. Nadal in 3, 4 at most. Berd will waste every chance he gets.

Murray vs Kyrgios- Kyrgios could cause trouble but unless he gets inspired, I think Murray will have too much for him and win in 4 sets.

Djoko vs Raonic- Djoko is the heavy favourite but Milos could cause trouble if he serves very well. Bound to be at least one tie break. I guess I will go Djoko in 3 or 4 but I don't think it will be as one sided as some think.

Stan vs Kei- the most exciting QF match. Hope it doesn't disappoint. It really could go either way, I wouldn't like to bet on it. Whoever wins will probably win in 4 though.

Maria vs Genie- Maria in 2 sets for me. Genie pushed her hard at the FO but I think Maria will be too much for her here if she plays well.

Venus vs Keys- Excited for this, should be a big hitting match. I think Keys might edge it in 3 but Venus has surprised me so I wouldn't be that shocked if she takes this.

Hopefully Berdy's new coach will have added something which will stretch Nadal and could take him through to a semi against Andy, who I can't see being too troubled by Kyrgios.
    I'm really hoping for a Djoko/Stan semi but I'm a bit concerned about Raonic. Haven't watched him but the comms were saying he's much improved.
    Not particularly bothered about the women - all my favourites are out. I would like Venus to win (don't think she will though) and hope Maria doesn't but that's about it.

Not sure if it's just me but I haven't enjoyed this year's AO as much as usual. We really need some good competitive matches I feel. Here's hoping. :)
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Re: serve returners, Henman was very good. I remember reading on Sport Illustrated that he was in top 5 returners during his time on the tour (or something like that).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah in recent times Fed's BP conversion really has been poor at times

Is that one of the things that declines with age? Rafa is good at these but then I'd say he's certainly the most mentally tough of the top players and possibly ever.
This discussion has been closed.