Matt Smith.. DR Who: Xmas Special 2010

roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
Forum Member
✭✭
I have really enjoyed this year 2 part xmas specials, and would hope Moffat continues this and the next xmas special is a 2 parter

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That'll probably depend what the BBC want.

I don't think this 2 parter has had the viewing figures that the previous Xmas specials have
  • Jaymitch1Jaymitch1 Posts: 6,426
    Forum Member
    for me, the christmas specials are always dreadful, i dont know whether thats down to RTD alone. but they always seem so far removed from the proper doctor who series. infact each special seems more of a circus. it wouldnt really bother me if there wasnt one next year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an xmas day episode pencilled in to be filmed on the end of the shoot for Matts first series.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    I agree, I think the Christmas specials should be viewed differently than the main series. It should be time for fun and frivolity spending little or not time worrying about rationality or logic.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But The Christmas Invasion was good, wasn't it? Some spectacle towards the end, but mostly character stuff.

I've no issue with Doctor Who going ridiculous at Christmas if it's what the audience appreciate. It's not just a show for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as they are usually standalone from the main series arcs , I think Xmas would be a good time for a multi doctor story. Maybe not this year as it could deflect attention away from Matt but what about The Four Doctors at xmas 2011 with Smith , Tennant , Eccleston( if he'd do it) and McGann:)
    Just throwaway fun for an hour:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I agree. I love the Christmas episodes generally, and hope to see Smith doing one this year very much. I like the fact that they do have a different tone to the usual episodes. I think Moffat may have different ideas for them in future though, such as the aforementioned Four Doctors idea or somesuch. That could be fun...:D
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as they are usually standalone from the main series arcs , I think Xmas would be a good time for a multi doctor story. Maybe not this year as it could deflect attention away from Matt but what about The Four Doctors at xmas 2011 with Smith , Tennant , Eccleston( if he'd do it) and McGann:)
    Just throwaway fun for an hour:)

Xmas day : Part 1 with Matt Smith, about to die, go back to the clifhanger

New Years Day: Part 2, Tennant , Eccleston, McGann come to the rescue of Matt smith, and save the day
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaymitch1 wrote: »
    for me, the christmas specials are always dreadful, i dont know whether thats down to RTD alone. but they always seem so far removed from the proper doctor who series. infact each special seems more of a circus. it wouldnt really bother me if there wasnt one next year.

I'm not a fan of the Christmas specials either, I liked VOTD but I wasn't very keen on TCI or TRB, they were a bit corny for my liking. I didn't think much of TND either, and I think I would've preferred TEOT part 1 if it hadn't been the Christmas special. Each to their own and all that I suppose though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give over, we not had Easter yet or the next series to be even think of Christmas 2010 ffs!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    There's an xmas day episode pencilled in to be filmed on the end of the shoot for Matts first series.

I think the Xmas special will be filmed at the start of filming for his second series rather than the end of his first, won't it?
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quizzimodo wrote: »
    I don't think this 2 parter has had the viewing figures that the previous Xmas specials have

it's done more than two of them by quite a bit, these epsiodes have been the third and forth most watched episodes since the reboot...
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quizzimodo wrote: »
    That'll probably depend what the BBC want.

I am interested by your comments. I had a notion that maybe the schedulers are at fault. If it can achieve 10.4 million viewers at 6pm, it surely could have achieved 13 million at 8pm. Why was it on so early? From 10pm on Christmas Eve there was little worth watching. Why show Live from Appollo and the flop Impressions show? Surely by putting Catherine Tate on Xmas Eve at 10.30 and jigging the Xmas schedule slightly, then more viewers woulkd have been available. For instance:

6pm My Family
    7pm Strictly Come Dancing
    8pm Doctor Who
    9pm EastEnders
    10.00pm The Royle Family
    This surely would have ensured more viewers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I am interested by your comments. I had a notion that maybe the schedulers are at fault. If it can achieve 10.4 million viewers at 6pm, it surely could have achieved 13 million at 8pm. Why was it on so early? From 10pm on Christmas Eve there was little worth watching. Why show Live from Appollo and the flop Impressions show? Surely by putting Catherine Tate on Xmas Eve at 10.30 and jigging the Xmas schedule slightly, then more viewers woulkd have been available. For instance:

6pm My Family
    7pm Strictly Come Dancing
    8pm Doctor Who
    9pm EastEnders
    10.00pm The Royle Family
    This surely would have ensured more viewers.

thing is wizzywick, the bbc have more to consider than getting DW as many viewers as they can. A lot of kids will be in bed by 8pm for one thing.

The figures for EOT were really good. Like I said only two episodes since the reboot rated higher. I think we have, as fans, come to think we are due 13 million every xmas just cause a couple of them have managed it. The reality is it's the exception not the norm. :)

also the 13 million equates to the final figures, we only have the overnights for EOT so far, so the gap will be smaller once we get those in.
  • NewbieCanuckNewbieCanuck Posts: 6,698
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I am interested by your comments. I had a notion that maybe the schedulers are at fault. If it can achieve 10.4 million viewers at 6pm, it surely could have achieved 13 million at 8pm.

Well nothing achieved anywhere close to that this year - figures were down in general.

But I think it would be wrong to put it on at 8 anyway. Christmas is a long day for children. The excitement has them up earlier than normal, then there's play, heavy food, sweets, perhaps a car trip if the family does Christmas at the grandparents.

Having a two-parter would mean a 15-episode production schedule. They already shoot nine months of the year. It would be a big strain on people.
  • Rapture TVRapture TV Posts: 1,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    thing is wizzywick, the bbc have more to consider than getting DW as many viewers as they can. A lot of kids will be in bed by 8pm for one thing.

The figures for EOT were really good. Like I said only two episodes since the reboot rated higher. I think we have, as fans, come to think we are due 13 million every xmas just cause a couple of them have managed it. The reality is it's the exception not the norm. :)

also the 13 million equates to the final figures, we only have the overnights for EOT so far, so the gap will be smaller once we get those in.

You are right the BARB over nights are not that accurate they after all only measure 5,100 homes. But the final viewing of these Dr Who's will be around the 13-14 million. Recordings and repeats this weekend will all have added to the reach. ITV had nothing to come close and Sky One was invisable again. So in a multi platform multi channel market this is remarkable.
  • GabriellaGabriella Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the ending. David T (he had his fans but not me) gone-Yay! Roll on Mr Smith as DW (who I thought was well funny checking himself over at first :D), can't wait for spring. Billie looked odd in her cameo too imo. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9BRuqwHR7A

Enjoy this amazing spoiler for Series 6 with Matt Smith. Tell all your friends and pass this on its an amazing spoiler
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want my 2 minutes 40 seconds back.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chemer wrote: »

Enjoy this amazing spoiler for Series 6 with Matt Smith. Tell all your friends and pass this on its an amazing spoiler

what a load of cobblers....:rolleyes:

there have been some reliable spoilers about the xmas special, and those involve
    Christmas on a Victorian world with a theme along the lines of "a christmas carol".

if people are going to make stuff up off the top of their head i wish at least they would show some originality.

also a good idea to get the low down on what we actually know about the xmas special already and try and make it tally up with that somewhat,,,:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I saw this video myself. Not sure I believe it myself.

I think Billie Piper's been a bit busy recently filming Secret Diary and smoking in her kid's face, practically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't celebrate or panic just yet people. The uploader says where he got the info, and it was last year, from that same stupid article that said Billie had been spotted filming.

I don't think we have anything to worry about, not about Rose properly coming back, anyway.
  • DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Billie wasn't smoking in her child's face. It was obviously photoshopped.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danslink wrote: »
    Billie wasn't smoking in her child's face. It was obviously photoshopped.

What, the kid doesn't actually have a face?:eek:
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, the kid doesn't actually have a face?:eek:

You've never heard of The Faceless Ones? ;)