Options

BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was really odd lordloz!
    Our Steve has quite a thin skin (figuratively speaking) and I thought he was going to choke when that bloke said he didn't like him.
    The Friday paper review also caused Stevie to nearly have a heart attack.
    Are the prod team getting some sort of revenge?!

Ah thanks Jayne.....it was odd and hysterical I love to hear a politician squirming but then to hear the host being put down too....

and he acted like a politician veering away from the questions until David banks who I rarely agree with bought it back up - the excuse eventually given under duress there is only economy on his flights put up but no info on his hotel and meal bills.....

I recommend that episode to anyone it was fantastic....
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't find the 5live sports extra thread, but why on earth is there no coverage of the Warrington v Wigan game ? It's the most entertaining sporting event all weekend. We get nonsense baseball and american football from America foisted on us, yet this goes completely under the radar.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Can't find the 5live sports extra thread, but why on earth is there no coverage of the Warrington v Wigan game ? It's the most entertaining sporting event all weekend. We get nonsense baseball and american football from America foisted on us, yet this goes completely under the radar.

I'm still learning about Super League and have been following it for about a year. I watched it on Sky. Brilliant exciting game. I won't mention the result in case people have recorded it.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Don't like Phil Willuams on lates. As a presenter he's ok but that show is not as good as livsey. I've been a listener to that show for about 10 years but as i don't like the scottish guy on overnights it's radio 4 for me now. I'll tune back for breakfast thought. I'm not quite ready for the today prog yet.
  • Options
    Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To think we once used to have Nick Robinson chairing a current affairs show at 10pm. Intelligent and thought provoking discussion. Now they indulge the cretinous Liam Gallagher who ,you know, just swears a lot.
  • Options
    p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    To think we once used to have Nick Robinson chairing a current affairs show at 10pm. Intelligent and thought provoking discussion. Now they indulge the cretinous Liam Gallagher who ,you know, just swears a lot.

If you genuinely want serious news at 10pm why not try The World Tonight on Radio 4? It's more accessible and less dry (well, slightly) than you'd imagine.

I imagine 5 Live reckons it's a better idea to provide an alternative given deathly serious news is on Radio 4 at that point, and that it normally has an inherited audience from sport that may not otherwise be listening to talk on the radio at that time of night.
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO Five Live needs a urgent overhaul if it is to survive. The loss of live coverage of sports such as football and rugby to Talk Sport and allied to the presence of some notable inferior presenters/journalists is clearly affecting output and listening figures will suffer. People will switch to TS etc. Come on BBC sort it out.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I agree that Radio 5 Live Sports Extra should have covered Warrington v Wigan (either by providing their own commentary or simulcasting a BBC Local Radio one, I like how they do the latter when covering certain Football League matches and county cricket) if the channel was vacant when the match was taking place, it's not a case of either/or when it comes to that and their North American sports coverage.

You might not like the two sports you mention, but they have an audience in the UK which has given the BBC a justification to air coverage of them. I listen to their Major League Baseball coverage most weeks and enjoy it, I realise the sport isn't everyone's cup of tea but one game a week unless there is another sporting event going on during its Thursday timeslot - as is the case this week - is hardly "foisting it" on anyone. The NFL and MLB are cheap to cover in radio terms (no rights fees, simulcasted American radio commentaries, basic studio set-ups), have a niche audience that is undeserved by the free-to-air broadcast media in the UK and their coverage on 5LSE is not impinging on anything else - what's the problem?

Rugby league as a sport to my mind receives decent coverage of Radio 5 Live and Sports Extra, albeit they do make the odd scheduling ricket as seems to have been the case yesterday (this happens with their coverage of most sports - shifting a potential Hull City promotion decider onto Sports Extra while 5 Live aired Kicking Off springs to mind), with this having improved in recent times with the Challenge Cup Final and Super League Grand Final both returning to 5 Live after a period when 5 Live were so football-obsessed to the point that these fixtures would make way for live coverage of routine Premier League games and even the 606 phone-in.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A woman on VD's programme who had a baby after having an affair with an undercover policeman , says she's deeply traumatised & feels as if she's been raped by the state :eek:

I can't believe VD's programme now. It seems that every body in the country are either victims or vulnerable !
  • Options
    droopsnoutdroopsnout Posts: 547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    A woman on VD's programme who had a baby after having an affair with an undercover policeman , says she's deeply traumatised & feels as if she's been raped by the state :eek:

I can't believe VD's programme now. It seems that every body in the country are either victims or vulnerable !
    Well, she is certainly a victim!

A policeman acting on behalf of the State was acting undercover when probably the case didn't warrant it; formed a relationship with the woman when he shouldn't have; disappeared afterwards, IIRC; and quite possibly isn't contributing to the costs of parenting (this point isn't mentioned in the reporting I've seen)..

Let me put it another way by asking you a question.

If this woman had later become your wife, or if this woman happened to be your daughter, how would you be advising her to act right now?

The two obvious courses are to tell the world how you were used with little regard for your welfare; or else you just don't want any fuss and keep quiet about the whole thing in order to lead a quiet life.

Both courses of action have advantages and long-lasting consequences.

Yes, "raped by the State" is somewhat extreme, but she was abused by a representative of the State, and I for one want to know when the people who are supposed to protect and care for us misuse their position.

See also: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/24/undercover-police-spy-girlfriend-child
  • Options
    Forum Member

Perfectly understandable to feel like that when you have fallen in love with a charecter not a person and they knew what they were doing was wrong.
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Perfectly understandable to feel like that when you have fallen in love with a charecter not a person and they knew what they were doing was wrong.

That probably happens a lot. Perhaps she should have thought twice before forming a relationship? If this guy was an undercover cop he'd certainly not have introduced her to his circle of friends or taken her to lots of public places and so on. Did she ever ask to meet his parents for example? Wouldn't any women be suspicious of a man who refused to perhaps go out in public places or be photographed with her, or meet his friends and so on?

We only ever get to hear the woman's side of this and as usual men hating Derbyshire spins the women as victims.

I get pissed off with this. This woman entered this relationship of her own free will and should accept the consequences.

He assuming he is the father (has this been proven?) he should pay for the child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The man was a fake abd created a whole new and believable life FOR A LIVING. He would have had the circle of friends that fit in with the part he was playing. These guys live and breath deception as part of their job. Many of them have psychological problems as a result of working undercover living this fake life.

As for your parents comment plenty of people have dead parents or parents who live away.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting piece in the Telegraph

Why is blokey BBC Radio 5 Live airing a show about vaginas and babies?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/10134296/Why-is-blokey-BBC-Radio-5-Live-airing-a-show-about-vaginas-and-babies.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/mother-tongue/10134296/Why-is-blokey-BBC-Radio-5-Live-airing-a-show-about-vaginas-and-babies.html

Incredible to see (from the comments section) that there are people who still believe that Derbyshire commutes daily to Salford.
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Some of the pieces on that Bump club item made very cringeworthy listening !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    The man was a fake abd created a whole new and believable life FOR A LIVING. He would have had the circle of friends that fit in with the part he was playing. These guys live and breath deception as part of their job. Many of them have psychological problems as a result of working undercover living this fake life.

As for your parents comment plenty of people have dead parents or parents who live away.

They don't make up fake friends. That would be even more likely to give the game away not to mention that it could involve other people who are not part of the police or if it were done with police officers that would only risk increasing the chances of a police offer giving the game away or being recognised. It just doesn't happen.. That just does not happen. Undercover cops live quite a lonely life.

Also regarding parents, sure people have dead parents or parents who live way, but if this woman was "in love" with this guy and had a child by him don't you think she might have asked or expected to see a photo album or even see if this guy had a Facebook page and so on? wouldn't his relatives want to see the baby? If it were a casual relationship I agree it might not come up, but this was clearly more than that was it not?

The police might create such fake back stories where you're looking to investigate say a terrorist or big crime network where they will have people inside the police and government that can run background checks, but to investigate some climate change nutters I really doubt it.

This woman was stupid to be duped, she's not the first and and she won't be the last, but to claim she was raped by the state is utter bollocks and she's just after a big payout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This woman was stupid to be duped, she's not the first and and she won't be the last, but to claim she was raped by the state is utter bollocks and she's just after a big payout.

I don't think she's claiming she was raped, is she not saying that the feelings are the same. I believe her and who are you and I to doubt how she feels.

Anyway this is way off topic but I prefer to have empathy with people and their feelings instead of being judgmental and dismisive of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Undercover cops live quite a lonely life.
    No surprise there! Who'd want to live with a professional liar?
    This woman was stupid to be duped, she's not the first and and she won't be the last
    That's a pretty hard attitude. She was also the one left holding the baby. Literally. There is no excuse for a man to behave like that. And certainly not in the pursuit of animal rights "terrorists"!! And let's not forget that the officer involved was married. (So maybe not so lonely, either).
    ... to claim she was raped by the state is utter bollocks and she's just after a big payout.
    With that, I tend to agree. However, you clearly think she deserves no payout at all, whereas I would say that she was used by the State as a tool and deserves some compensation.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're not listening to John McEnroe on '6Love6' please do go back and listen on the iPlayer. While he was a legendary player, he's a terrible presenter and he's got Henman next to him as just as bad. Awful programme, and I hope we never hear him doing this again. The rudest part was cutting off the cricket report before he started because it was boring. Utterly dreadful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    droopsnout wrote: »
    No surprise there! Who'd want to live with a professional liar?

That's a pretty hard attitude. She was also the one left holding the baby. Literally. There is no excuse for a man to behave like that. And certainly not in the pursuit of animal rights "terrorists"!! And let's not forget that the officer involved was married. (So maybe not so lonely, either).

With that, I tend to agree. However, you clearly think she deserves no payout at all, whereas I would say that she was used by the State as a tool and deserves some compensation.

I wasn't being hard I was being realistic. Lots of other men and women get duped by partners who are married etc. Yes in this case the copper was telling her a lie and yes he is a scumbag, no argument from me on that.

I agree he should pay for the child but not the state. The state didn't use her the copper did, doing was he did was not part of being undercover.

I still maintain the woman had a child by a man she didn't know very well and that is almost always going to end in tears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still maintain the woman had a child by a man she didn't know very well and that is almost always going to end in tears.
    Yes, there's a lot of truth in that. We can only judge from what we read/hear, but there is the suspicion in my mind that she really wanted a child, and he was the man of the moment. However, clearly she felt at the time that he was Mr Right. Clearly wrongly. Maybe she acted irrationally; maybe she was naïve.

My inclination to involve the State is not simply a consequence of this case alone.

Just recently, we have been made aware of appalling behaviour by the police in various places, from Hillsborough, to Stephen Lawrence, to dubious undercover work.

On top of that, we have Prism and GCHQ. And on the wider front, we have had politicians who seem not to value the people they represent.

The overall impression is one of a State which is concerned only with power and control. And that attitude seems to have been transmitted down the line to police officers who have apparently had no respect for members of the public.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would only happen on the Victoria Derbyshire show.

The show should be renamed Victoria's Vulnerable Victims Club.

Last week, Victoria Derbyshire's show featured a report on people who have been forced to relocate from London to Birmingham. If Victoria Derbyshire's family left London, one of those families could take her place and she could move to Salford.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    Last week, Victoria Derbyshire's show featured a report on people who have been forced to relocate from London to Birmingham. If Victoria Derbyshire's family left London, one of those families could take her place and she could move to Salford.

I would have love to have heard that. Did she make any reference to her own situation at all during the section?
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    I would have love to have heard that. Did she make any reference to her own situation at all during the section?

She didn't.
This discussion has been closed.