Options

Is 377,000K Memory Usage Normal for Firefox?

I run Windows XP on a Dell Vostro 1500 (2GB RAM).

Available Physical Memory is: 978.50 MB.
Total Virtual Memory is: 2.00 GB.

I'm sure Firefox never used to use more than 200-250,000K when I checked in Windows Task Manager. For the last few months (at least) it seems to be using more and more and it usually hovers around 360-370,000K even with only one or two tabs open.

Is this normal? It's not really an issue if it is. I'm just curious, and I'm sure my fan is starting to kick in a little more than usual.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you rebooted your PC recently?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Have you rebooted your PC recently?

Yes, yesterday as I changed my antivirus and needed to reboot.

CPU usage when idle is very low but when, for example, I open Youtube CPU usage goes up into the 80s and 90s (percent) while the page is loading, and then goes back to 8% or 11%.

ETA: the reason I changed antivirus was because Avira (avguard.exe) was running at around 100,000K memory which I thought was ridiculously high. Avast! (avastscv.exe) stays around around 40,000K (which is what Avira did until a week or so ago before it started to increase). I had Firefox running at around 370,000K and Avira at 100,000K and decided to jettison Avira.

ETA 2: I've done malware scans, AV scans, etc. and there are no issues that I can see.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that browsers seem to be using more and more memory these days. I had a real issue with chrome running very slowly. I thought at first it was the firewall or anti virus but nope tests proved they did not the cause the speed. In the end I ran cccleaner which removed all my temp files, history etc after which it was working fine.

Logically it should not have affected the speed but it did so might be worth trying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine starts around 230k, but is up to 350k in a few minutes with 2 tabs open, and over 460k quite often.
    I'm running Adblock Plus, Personas, ColorfulTabs, Evernote, Foxclocks, NewTab Homepage, Google Translator, Status-4-Eva and Stealthy.
    TBH - it's never slowed anything down, even if I add a couple of other things I use sometimes, like Wikiwand and Lucifox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I just think it's probably a case of each FF update being more of a systems hog than the last, despite what Mozilla might claim.

I've had my Vostro 1500 for years and it's always worked like a dream and never disliked my online activities. Now the fan tends to kick in quite frequently e.g. at the moment I'm looking at The Guardian website and opened a tab for DS and the fan has started (which I need to clean anyway). It would never have done that a couple of years ago.

I'll try some cleaning and see what happens. At least I know that my memory usage for FF isn't abnormal. It rarely, if ever, gets above 400,000K. I'm running Adblock Plus and Avast! Online Security extensions and that's about it (apart from the usual Java stuff, Shockwave and Microsoft stuff).

It's not really slowing down the PC. It's just seems a bit creakier than usual.
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    Mine is currently sitting around 200,000k. I imagine it would be significantly higher if the ads were going full pelt on here.

I also use Avast but not the browser add-on.

I'd say it would be worth going through your extensions to see if one may be causing a memory leak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    s2k wrote: »
    Mine is currently sitting around 200,000k. I imagine it would be significantly higher if the ads were going full pelt on here.

I also use Avast but not the browser add-on.

I'd say it would be worth going through your extensions to see if one may be causing a memory leak.

So I disable them all and then reactivate them one at a time?

With one tab open my FF is now on 325,000K
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    So I disable them all and then reactivate them one at a time?

With one tab open my FF is now on 325,000K
    That does sound a little on the high side even for Firefox. I wonder if it could be an XP issue..ie. it works but isn't as optimized etc. Would be interesting to see the figures from another XP user as I'm on Win7 here.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    s2k wrote: »
    That does sound a little on the high side even for Firefox. I wonder if it could be an XP issue..ie. it works but isn't as optimized etc. Would be interesting to see the figures from another XP user as I'm on Win7 here.
    I'm running a desktop on XP as well as this Win7 laptop.
    After deliberately switching to the XP for 10 minutes, that's running at 288k -three tabs, nothing too graphic intensive - while the laptop is on 368k (the contrary bugger has stubbornly refused to go over 400k since I posted about it :D ).
    There's no ads running because of Adblock.
    From memory (sorry about that) the XP never runs much over 300k, but the laptop has been growing rapidly since about 4 updates ago.
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    .XP here with 2 tabs open, Avira 3236K (avgnt.exe), Firefox 216,904K.

http://s3.postimg.org/jfh322k6b/task_man.png

Also look at post #68 here which will bring it down a bit.

Just seen avguard.exe using 43,392K ... that makes more sense.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP your fan will kick in because your CPU is working, not because of memory.

It isn't unusual for browsers to use a lot of RAM, but there are different levels of used RAM, private vs shared memory, some applications hog and reserve blocks for their use, and will free it up if needed. RAM usage is a very complex thing, if you have a lot of RAM applications may hog more. A lot of RAM stored cached data of things that allows the machine to save stuff in case you need quicker access to it again.

As I understand it 'free RAM' is effectively wasted RAM as it isn't being used as all, and you actually want to use as much free RAM as possible for things you might do because loading stuff in from disk is slower. Available RAM is full of stuff that isn't important and is cached data, so it has stuff written to it, but it is available for other more important data and can be overwritten,

If your available RAM all gets used, then your machine will start "swapping" to the pagefile, which will use CPU and IO to do that and that is what often slows low spec computers down.

Older versions of Firefox had memory leaks, which if you left tabs open it would slowly use more and more memory until the system ground to a halt and you needed to kill it and restart the browser or even the machine, however this shouldn't be an issue in the later versions. Faulty addons could cause a similar thing through I think.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yesterday as I changed my antivirus and needed to reboot.

CPU usage when idle is very low but when, for example, I open Youtube CPU usage goes up into the 80s and 90s (percent) while the page is loading, and then goes back to 8% or 11%.

ETA: the reason I changed antivirus was because Avira (avguard.exe) was running at around 100,000K memory which I thought was ridiculously high. Avast! (avastscv.exe) stays around around 40,000K (which is what Avira did until a week or so ago before it started to increase). I had Firefox running at around 370,000K and Avira at 100,000K and decided to jettison Avira.

ETA 2: I've done malware scans, AV scans, etc. and there are no issues that I can see.

If you have a desktop, have you checked to see if the CPU fan is clogged with dust?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Older versions of Firefox had memory leaks, which if you left tabs open it would slowly use more and more memory until the system ground to a halt and you needed to kill it and restart the browser or even the machine, however this shouldn't be an issue in the later versions. Faulty addons could cause a similar thing through I think.

Yeah, I've noticed that the memory usage goes right back down to about 1GB after I've closed Firefox. The memory usage goes back to 1GB quicker when closing Chrome though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks again for the suggestions.

I have disabled all my extensions (Adblock Plus, Avast! Online Security and DownloadHelper) and I disabled my FurFox theme in the 'Appearance' section.

I've got three tabs open now and the Mem Usage for FF is currently 210,000K which is a drop of about 160,000K from what is was earlier. With just one tab open it's under 200,000K.

Adblock was adding about 50,000K extra!!
    DownloadHelper wasn't adding much
    Avast! Security Online added about 25,000K (left it disabled as I don't really need it)

I think the issue was the Adblock Plus and the 'FurFox Tail Twister' theme I was using! The theme has not been updated since 2010 and, when I disabled it, it wouldn't let me restore it. With that gone the memory usage dropped by a lot. Could the out-of-date theme have been causing instability issues? It seems that way to me.

I've now enabled Adblock Plus and the memory usage has gone from around 210,000K up to 270,000K, which is still around 100,000K lower than earlier.

I'll check out the links about reducing the Adblock memory consumption as clearly it's quite greedy!

So if anyone has a similar issue: check your Firefox theme and check the Adblock extension.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spoke too soon :(

After using FF for about 30 minutes with all the add-ons off, and with the default appearance, the memory usage started to creep up until it was at around 270,00K. It didn't seem to go down when I closed three tabs and only had one tab open. I restarted it and it's back down to 205,000K.

I've now disabled all the plug-ins (rather than just the extensions) to see what happens. I've set them to 'Never Activate'.
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use an add-on called memory restart if it gets too high, press that and restarts the browser and clears the memory for a while at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    I use an add-on called memory restart if it gets too high, press that and restarts the browser and clears the memory for a while at least.

Thanks for the suggestion :) Now I've disabled all the plug-ins FF seems to be acting normally (at least for now). The memory usage goes up and back down again rather than steadily increasing. It went up to 250,000K when I had three tabs and Youtube open and then dropped back to 215,000K when I closed it all down to one tab.

All this suggests that the problem was a multitude of things:

Obsolete Firefur Tail Twister theme (that was a big memory drain)
    Adblock Plus (another memory drain)
    Dodgy plug-in somewhere causing the memory usage to rise and not fall

Earlier today, before I disabled anything, it would be up to 370,000K almost instantly even with one tab open. Now it's relatively steady at around 220,000K and rises and falls depending on what I'm doing.

Maybe not a complete success yet but I think it's a major improvement.

(I do need to sort Adblock out tomorrow though as the ads spread across the internet are driving me nuts. I never knew there was so many these days, lol.)

ETA: 20 minutes later and, with one tab open and everything disabled, it's stuck at around 280,000K minimum. I give up with it. I think I'll look into changing to Google Chrome to see if it's any better.
  • Options
    BanziBabyBanziBaby Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Most browsers nowadays will use as much free memory as possible & it will increase when you have more tabs open, Firefox addons can also add to the memory load like AdBlock+ but to me the increase is worth it as I don't have to put up with numerous ads all over the place. I have 16gb of memory so the memory usage of FF or Chrome which is my default browser doesn't really bother me.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    might be worth upping it to 4gb? , probably be a few cheap 2gb sticks knocking around then you'll care even less about the memory
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    I guess that the more adds AB+ is blocking the more memory it will use. Anyway, I found that the answer to worrying about memory usage was to turn off the processes meter and not look. Worked wonders, unless asked to look for any reason, I have no idea what it's currently using and therefore have no worries. Obsession cured..:D
    That said I don't have to worry about RAM on this machine...;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    I guess that the more adds AB+ is blocking the more memory it will use. Anyway, I found that the answer to worrying about memory usage was to turn off the processes meter and not look. Worked wonders, unless asked to look for any reason, I have no idea what it's currently using and therefore have no worries. Obsession cured..:D
    That said I don't have to worry about RAM on this machine...;-)

Same here. I don't have a tremendous amount. 8GBs is absolutely fine for me. I've not maxed it out yet.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I've got 8GB but when FF starts bloating 3.5 - 4 it can mean crawling to a stop and i have to kill it, often the culprit is FB or Twitter, it seem to be ok now after some updates or maybe it will start doing it again if i hit too many tabs.
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox is currently using about 630MB here with 47 tabs. ;)

I usually kill the process when it starts hitting 900MB+ as it starts to lag a lot (mostly due to Flash) - I only have 4GB RAM installed, with a fair bit of stuff running in the background.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got 8GB but when FF starts bloating 3.5 - 4 it can mean crawling to a stop and i have to kill it, often the culprit is FB or Twitter, it seem to be ok now after some updates or maybe it will start doing it again if i hit too many tabs.

That seems very excessive for internet browsing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firefox is currently using about 630MB here with 47 tabs. ;)

I usually kill the process when it starts hitting 900MB+ as it starts to lag a lot (mostly due to Flash) - I only have 4GB RAM installed, with a fair bit of stuff running in the background.

What the hell do you do to have 47 tabs open?