"Crap" players in good teams

2»

Comments

• RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm unsure as to the perimeters of the discussion.

Are we asking for crap signings made by good sides or players who weren't very good who succeeded thanks to the team they were signed to being successful?

I think he means this. Brazil 82 had Serginho, lumbering useless striker playing alongside some gods of football like Socrates and Zico.
    If Brazil 82 had Careca, they'd have won instead of Italy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    pxd867 wrote: »
    Well it's mabe a bit OTT to say crap - as they can still perform well playing in a good team - but watching Dirk Kuyt run around in a good Holland team sort of brought it up. He's not crap, more of a hard worker, but it does seem silly seeing him play with far more naturally gifted players.

:eek: Well there have been some bad WC posts but this is up there with them. Can't think why Dirk Kuyt has been brought into such a thread title? A bit OTT to say crap, how about totally?

His own national manager has played him every minute of every game, said he's the 1st name on his teamsheet, as he was with his club manager too. Pundits have praised him also, he has laid on 4 goals in the games he's played, even making a vital last ditch block tackle in injury time in his own box to help ensure progress for the Dutch.

He's probably been one of the top 10 players in the World Cup. It's been proved flashy players (Argies, England) get you nowhere without the workers, but Dirk is more than just a worker.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Well lfcred I am a Liverpool fan and can entirely see why Dirk Kuyt is labelled crap. I love his attitude on the pitch cos he never stops running and trying for the team and I love his attiude off the pitch as he is a model professional and a real nice guy who comes over well in interviews and does a lot of charity work.

But he is just not that good a footballer - no ball control, misses lotsa chances, no skill really, gives the ball away a lot, meant to be a winger now apparently but has not got the ability to beat a man. As I like the guy I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as I see him criticised a lot by so called Liverpool fans but even I have to admit that his critics have a point.

Should we drop him from our team and sell him? - well that depends if we have got a better replacement which at present we have not but if Roy is able to bring in better quality then Dirk going would not be a disaster from a squad strengthening pt of view.

However DK is by no means the weakest link for LFC - that imo is Insua and it is good to read that Roy is looking at bringing in Figeroa at LB as one of the first things on his agenda - even if we don't get Figeroa it is likely Roy will soon dump Insua which to me is great news as it shows Roy knows basically where our strengths and weaknesses are already.

Another striker needed too and a wide left player - maybe Jovanovic will do one of those jobs - we'll see.

Back to the topic of the thread for LFC if we're talking crap players El Zhar comes to mind - and personally I am not a fan of Skrtel either and have yet to be convinced by Aquilani.
    Forum Member
    Well lfcred I am a Liverpool fan and can entirely see why Dirk Kuyt is labelled crap. I love his attitude on the pitch cos he never stops running and trying for the team and I love his attiude off the pitch as he is a model professional and a real nice guy who comes over well in interviews and does a lot of charity work.

But he is just not that good a footballer - no ball control, misses lotsa chances, no skill really, gives the ball away a lot, meant to be a winger now apparently but has not got the ability to beat a man. As I like the guy I have tried to give him the benefit of the doubt as I see him criticised a lot by so called Liverpool fans but even I have to admit that his critics have a point.

Should we drop him from our team and sell him? - well that depends if we have got a better replacement which at present we have not but if Roy is able to bring in better quality then Dirk going would not be a disaster from a squad strengthening pt of view.

However DK is by no means the weakest link for LFC - that imo is Insua and it is good to read that Roy is looking at bringing in Figeroa at LB as one of the first things on his agenda - even if we don't get Figeroa it is likely Roy will soon dump Insua which to me is great news as it shows Roy knows basically where our strengths and weaknesses are already.

Another striker needed too and a wide left player - maybe Jovanovic will do one of those jobs - we'll see.

Back to the topic of the thread for LFC if we're talking crap players El Zhar comes to mind - and personally I am not a fan of Skrtel either and have yet to be convinced by Aquilani.

I normally agree with your posts but ...:D

Oh well it's all opinions at the end of the day but I am sorry Dirk Kuyt and crap have no place together, better people than me think it too :p I think he does have ball control, it's not easy for players to get the ball off him when he shields it, he's strong. I also don't think he overly gives the ball away, ask Stevie G, he works closely with him, they work well together.

I don't think he is meant to be a winger at all, he's been moved out there but never to beat a man and wip the cross in, he's laid enough goals on though so far this WC to show he's more than effective.

Back to the agreeing bit, Insua was a bit of a liability last season, and El Zhar - why did he get games?
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    lfcred wrote: »
    I normally agree with your posts but ...:D

To be fair I feel the same as I normally agree with you but well have to agree to differ on Dirk - no probs!!
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    Ha ha, Maradona is a joke - at the end he had Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Pastore and Aguero all getting in each other's way and running round in a panic like in a school yard just before the bell goes. :D
    What kind of manager selects Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Milito and Aguero and then thinks "Hmm...I could do with another forward".

Especially when that forward is 36-year-old Martin Palermo, and he's getting in ahead of Cambiasso.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made up to see so many defending Dirk Kuyt. Everybody has covered what I would want to say about him. I'll just say he's a loyal, great professional, a bloody hard worker, and any club would be bloody lucky to have him.
    Forum Member
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    Made up to see so many defending Dirk Kuyt. Everybody has covered what I would want to say about him. I'll just say he's a loyal, great professional, a bloody hard worker, and any club would be bloody lucky to have him.

My turn.......This ^^ ;)
  • Davey84Davey84 Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    What kind of manager selects Higuain, Messi, Tevez, Milito and Aguero and then thinks "Hmm...I could do with another forward".

Especially when that forward is 36-year-old Martin Palermo, and he's getting in ahead of Cambiasso.

we all know maradona is bonkers and mad but he's funny, got charisma and is a legend. thats what got him and will keep him the job for as long as he likes.

seriously with cambiasso and zanetti they wud have been awesome and have a lot more balance.

I mean jonas guitierez or zanetti right back? duh