How do you report a (repeated) traffic offence?

Comments

• lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cicerao wrote: »
    I hate this culture of reporting and grassing people up for petty little things:( :mad:

I hate this culture of some people being either rather thick or siding with those intent on breaking the law and labelling those who are publicly minded with a touch of common sense as grasses....

The OP clearly describes a situation that needs dealing with. Let's not be naive and think of this as just a little mischievous, this is very dangerous and such actions often lead to serious injuries and death. I applaud the OP for taking the time to do something about this and it's anything but petty.
  • kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lalaland wrote: »
    I hate this culture of some people being either rather thick or siding with those intent on breaking the law and labelling those who are publicly minded with a touch of common sense as grasses....

The OP clearly describes a situation that needs dealing with. Let's not be naive and think of this as just a little mischievous, this is very dangerous and such actions often lead to serious injuries and death. I applaud the OP for taking the time to do something about this and it's anything but petty.

Thanks for the support lalaland. I wouldn't normally get involved in "petty things" like this (as the above poster describes it but clearly this idiot could harm himself and others - to be honest he can do what he wants to hurt himself but he has no right to endanger other people in my eyes.

Anyway, I called the GMP switchboard and they've said that they can't take it as a report but would take the information down and hand it over to "intelligence". They said if I wanted to make an official statement/complaint it has to be done in person over the desk.

So thats exactly what I've done. They've taken my details so I assume they will ring me if they need any further information.

I've started taking my camera in the car with me already set on to video mode so if I do see him in my rear views I can quickly grab the camera and start shooting. I'll also film my car radio to prove the time and date from the RDS data.

Fingers crossed they'll either catch him from the cameras on the road or go round to his house and give him a stern word to make him stop.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    kingdave wrote: »

I've started taking my camera in the car with me already set on to video mode so if I do see him in my rear views I can quickly grab the camera and start shooting. I'll also film my car radio to prove the time and date from the RDS data.

Fingers crossed they'll either catch him from the cameras on the road or go round to his house and give him a stern word to make him stop.

I admire the determination but please don't do anything which will open yourself up to accusations of not being in control of your own vehicle. Don't worry about the date on your stereo, just mount it securely and set it recording as soon as you join the queue each day. You'll soon get him from the sound of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    I admire the determination but please don't do anything which will open yourself up to accusations of not being in control of your own vehicle. Don't worry about the date on your stereo, just mount it securely and set it recording as soon as you join the queue each day. You'll soon get him from the sound of it.

Good point. I am usually stationary (although sometimes, like Friday, I can be moving at some speed) but even so don't want to find myself done for driving without due care and attention.

At least its with the police now so should something happen my conscience is clear that I've done what I can to prevent the situation.
  • meechameecha Posts: 2,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the title says really, but to give it some background...

Every morning I get to the Manchester end of the M61 between 7.30 and 7.50 and almost every morning I see one idiot (and its the same idiot) doing the same thing.

If you are aware of this particular part of the M61 you've got the lane on the left for the A580 (or the East Lancs if you're local) and the two lanes on the right to get onto the M60.

Traffic is generally queued up (but moving at a reasonable steady pace) back to the sign that says "Manchester Outer Ring Road M60 3 Miles" and between this sign and the junction mentioned in the above paragraph there is a long bend, a bridge and another junction (to the A666).

Now, getting back to the idiot... a plank in a black Vauxhall Vectra 2ltr SRI CDTI comes ploughing down the hard shoulder at around 80mph (I was doing 60 at this point this morning as it was quite quiet and he raced past me) with his hazard lights flashing.

Personally I think this is pretty dangerous as:

1. The shoulder has not been designated as a lane like on some motorways
    2. Its only a matter of time before he ploughs into someone that is using the shoulder for a genuine/legitimate reason
    3. At the speeds he does I don't think there would be enough room for him to stop (and certainly there's no where he could manoeuvre to) if someone was in his way.

Obviously, this is just my word against any evidence but how would I go about contacting some one to keep an eye out and stop this pillock hurting anyone just because he can't be bothered to queue like everyone else?

Any thoughts? Does anyone know the bit of road I mean and if you travel on the same bit of road, the idiot I'm talking about?

I've got his reg number (hence me knowing so much detail about his car!) and I don't think he's undercover police as they tend to use newer cars and have the blue lights hidden away in the front grill rather than relying on hazard lights!

What would you do?

I love how you have named and shamed him with his number plate - hope he gets his comeuppance!
  • TetrameshTetramesh Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that would be inappropriate use of 999, it's for emergency life threatening calls only

I know, I wasn't being serious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate this culture of reporting and grassing people up for petty little things:( :mad:

That is a very immature attitutude - the guy should be reported, the sooner the better, before he kills someone!

Bet you will see it differently if it is a family member of yours he kills!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    meecha wrote: »
    I love how you have named and shamed him with his number plate - hope he gets his comeuppance!

Did I?
  • TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you for real? That makes you no better than the bloke you've reported.
    That is a very immature attitutude - the guy should be reported, the sooner the better, before he kills someone!

I disagree, there's been an increase of government department hotlines set up for people to anonymously grass/report on their fellow citizens.

That creates a nasty society IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDonk wrote: »
    I disagree, there's been an increase of government department hotlines set up for people to anonymously grass/report on their fellow citizens.

How does it create a nasty society?

Why should the law abiding citizens keep getting stuffed over? Why should we work all day every day to pay taxes for people to cheat the benefits system?
    Why should we allow impatient idiots to do what they like on the road and f*ck the consequences?

If you break the law you deserve to be punished. You can't pick and choose which laws you want to live by to suit your own agenda.

I'm not saying what this guy is doing is equivalent to murder but if he carries on and does cause an accident it may well be.
  • escapeintonightescapeintonight Posts: 233
    Forum Member

I don't think whizzing up the hard shoulder is a petty litte thing
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Doing 80mph up the hard shoulder of a motorway, with slow moving traffic to your right, is not a petty little thing. Its bloody dangerous.

People like that deserve their licenses tkaen away.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    2ltr SRI CDTI
    is an engine size and model/spec number. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWantPVR wrote: »
    is an engine size and model/spec number. ;)

:D

I'm betting blonde.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Rather that than he kills someone!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rather that than he kills someone!

HA! Normality has resumed.:p

Where is a "grass you neighbour" policy going to end when the pc freedom haters get their teeth into it?

Horrible thought!:(
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Next time you see him speeding up the hard shoulder do what I've seen lorries do to stop these cretins- pull over onto 50% of the shoulder so he can't get by
    And what if the guy turns out to be mental drug-dealer who carries a gun in the car?

Or what if a vehicle behind the OP suffers a brake failure and swerves onto the hard shoulder at 70mph?

Or what if somebody has a heart-attack in a vehicle up ahead and an ambulance is trying to get along the hard shoulder in response?

Probably not too wise to block the shoulder, eh?

OP, it should be pretty easy to cobble up some kind of camera bracket using elastic bands and sticky tape and then fix it to the passenger-side headrest support.
    As has been said, if your camera/phone doesn't have any kind of remote activation you'll just have to start it running as soon as you stop in the queue.
  • lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be careful. If you get video footage on your phone you may find it gets seized as evidence to ensure continuity while the incident is investigated.

Re the phone call, that's what I suggested, it will be on the intel system and incorporated in to the briefing for the officers working on the RPU covering that area if it's deemed suitable. If not it will sit in the intel system which can be browsed by officers on the RPU in their own time rather than at briefing. (It's more likely to make briefing if there are several reports or it's deemed serious).

Be careful with this. I appreciate you want this person dealing with but remember safety and common sense :) Also remember that as a witness, providing a statement and exhibiting visual evidence, you will be very likely to be called to court to give evidence.
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No. What this is is a witness reporting an illegal incident. Such things have always happened, and is not turning us into a Police State.

It has been described how this will be dealt with now, but 20 years ago, an Officer would have visited the OP, taken a written statement, then interviewed, and reported the driver.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    OP.. you are doing the right thing.

I'm sick to death of idiots on the road, trying to kill me, while i drive carefully and considerately.

I have a wife and 2 kids to think about. this idiot just doesn't (think)...
  • EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HA! Normality has resumed.:p

Where is a "grass you neighbour" policy going to end when the pc freedom haters get their teeth into it?

Horrible thought!:(

So if you saw someone being attacked in the street you wouldn't call the police.
  • BZRBZR Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP you should definitely report them! They are doing a illegal and dangerous thing!

To the idiots saying its petty and shouldnt be reported you would think differently if it involved your family in a crash!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    What a neat way to bypass traffic queues, you've got to admire his cheek.

:D

I really don't admire his cheek at all. He sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

I admire him as much as I admire any criminal. Not one little bit.

In Sussex there is a great site: www.operationcrackdown.org where you can report anti-social driving.

If a vehicle gets reported more than once, or is on a watch list already, the police will take appropriate action. Probably just a letter.

It saves lots of taxpayers money and will hopefully keep people safer. As it only effects repeat offenders it gives everyone to make mistakes. We're all only human after all.

Not sure if there's a similar system where you (op) are, but it sounds like it's logged with the police. Well done.
  • mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well a different scenario but i was once on a double winding bend about 11.00pm one night (in a 30 mile per hour limit) when a car overtook and sped right past me on the bend, now if anyone had been coming from the other direction there would have been a head on crash, i was so angry that i memorised his number plate and as soon as i got home i rang the local police and reported it to them, and funnily enough they were very pleased that i had rung because they had had a police car that was parked up further up the road to me and as he sped past they had followed him to a club car park and breathalised him!, he was over the top but had tried to get away with it by saying he was only moving the car in the car park!, and that his wife was the driver that night!, anyway the long and the short of it was they could procecute him and had me as a witness as well.... of course i had to go to court and give evidence but he was found guilty and i must say i was very happy about it, he could have killed someone and deserved all he got,

So i would say ring the police and i would think they will get someone out on that stretch of road to check on this jerk.... Good luck with it.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
    Forum Member
    mklass wrote: »
    Well a different scenario but i was once on a double winding bend about 11.00pm one night (in a 30 mile per hour limit) when a car overtook and sped right past me on the bend, now if anyone had been coming from the other direction there would have been a head on crash, i was so angry that i memorised his number plate and as soon as i got home i rang the local police and reported it to them, and funnily enough they were very pleased that i had rung because they had had a police car that was parked up further up the road to me and as he sped past they had followed him to a club car park and breathalised him!, he was over the top but had tried to get away with it by saying he was only moving the car in the car park!, and that his wife was the driver that night!, anyway the long and the short of it was they could procecute him and had me as a witness as well.... of course i had to go to court and give evidence but he was found guilty and i must say i was very happy about it, he could have killed someone and deserved all he got,

So i would say ring the police and i would think they will get someone out on that stretch of road to check on this jerk.... Good luck with it.....

Nice one! :D