Peaky Blinders 9.00pm BBC2

jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Peaky Blinders staring Cillian Murphy of Inception fame , starts tonight on BBC2 , looks like it could be good

Comments

• Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully it'll be the Birmingham version of Boardwalk Empire...or at least not be awful, that's all I'm hoping for :P
  • LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Great Grandparents were from Small Heath, but a few years later. I'm watching now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the Sparkhill Sopranos!
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    This is meant to be the English version of Boardwalk Empire. Have a keen interest in this as from the area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, I'm liking it more than Boardwalk Empire. Nice to see a British production with such good production values. Good cast, too.
  • moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is ludicrous - there's no sign of a Brummie accent, and they've even got a Rastafarian in it. Did Rastas even exist in 1919 :confused: Even if they did, would there have been any living in Birmingham?
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moondew wrote: »
    This is ludicrous - there's no sign of a Brummie accent, and they've even got a Rastafarian in it. Did Rastas even exist in 1919 :confused: Even if they did, would there have been any living in Birmingham?

You're not too hot on history then.;)
  • Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member

Are you someone who believes the brummie accent is the Black Country accent that those from Wolverhampton use? Birmingham has many accents from all over the UK, and has its own core accent far different from the Black Country Drawl.

I would say a Birmingham accent is more closely linked to the Liverpool accent than it is the Black Country accent due to the Canal routes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ChrisE wrote: »
    You're not too hot on history then.;)

According to Wikipedia, Rastafarianism started in the 1930s.
  • VicsMumVicsMum Posts: 5,666
    Forum Member
    I wanted to like this but at the moment I'm just finding it too boring and really pretentious.
  • clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, I'm liking it more than Boardwalk Empire. Nice to see a British production with such good production values. Good cast, too.

I agree, Cillian Murphy is an amazing actor. And yes, really impressive production values.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *marv* wrote: »
    Are you someone who believes the brummie accent is the Black Country accent that those from Wolverhampton use? Birmingham has many accents from all over the UK, and has its own core accent far different from the Black Country Drawl.

I would say a Birmingham accent is more closely linked to the Liverpool accent than it is the Black Country accent due to the Canal routes.

No I don't think it's the same as the Wolverhampton accent, but it's a much thicker accent than is being spoken in this prog.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is some of this shot at the Black Country Living Museum? Loading the canal boats.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    According to Wikipedia, Rastafarianism started in the 1930s.

Locks does not automatically equal Rasta FGS.
    IIRC Rasta and locksing their hair comes from a reference to the description of Moses's hair.
  • JordanDSJordanDS Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of Liverpool locations in this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I agree, Cillian Murphy is an amazing actor. And yes, really impressive production values.

He's very charismatic. Liked him since 28 Days Later and Red Eye.
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I don't think it's the same as the Wolverhampton accent, but it's a much thicker accent than is being spoken in this prog.

Really? I think one or two of them are laying it on with a trowel, and I grew up in Small Heath.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    Is some of this shot at the Black Country Living Museum? Loading the canal boats.

I've been there. If I'd thought to look earlier it would have added an extra frisson to the show!
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member
    VicsMum wrote: »
    I wanted to like this but at the moment I'm just finding it too boring and really pretentious.

I agree, I shan't be watching it again.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been there. If I'd thought to look earlier it would have added an extra frisson to the show!

I was there 2 weeks ago. It really does look like the bit where they make the chains.

eta: Yes, it is.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/tv/peaky-blinders-thrills-birmingham-audience-5919236
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I shan't be watching it again.:(

Umm it's not grabbing my interest.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    I was there 2 weeks ago. It really does look like the bit where they make the chains.

We went a couple of years ago, and to Beamish the year before. Unfortunately, I tend to get them mixed up. I'll have to look out the photos and videos before next week.

Edit. Good spot!
  • Linda_DeanLinda_Dean Posts: 748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's very charismatic. Liked him since 28 Days Later and Red Eye.

Indeed he is. Also one of the finest actors of his generation.