Options

Are there any genuine reasons to block your number?

Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
Forum Member
✭✭✭
When you make a call, you can have your number blocked from being seen by the caller. Other than companies calling from numbers which can not be called back, why would anyone block their number? Sounds a little dodgy.

This has been puzzling me for ages!

Well I know if you call a company on their number for when calling from overseas, swapping the +44 for a 0, if they can detect you are calling from the UK you may not get through. In that case it may be best to block your number then and preferable call from a mobile.

However why would anyone do that to an individual, unless they were being dodgy?

Comments

• Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are 1001 reasons why you might wish to withhold your number. Basically you (i) may not wish to reveal your identity, or (ii) do not wish to receive returned calls on the same number.

You might not wish to disclose your identity if your were pursuing a complaint against a dodgy trader. They might just choose to ignore your call. You're more likely to get through if the number is not shown.

Similarly, many companies treat existing customers less favourably than potential new ones. Your number can bring up a 'screen pop' with all your details, so they may not offer you all the special incentives that they use to attract new business.

Many professional people such as doctors and surgeons return calls to patients using their private home or mobile numbers. Not unreasonably, they will wish patients to call the surgery number so that calls can be filtered by the secretary, otherwise the doctor / surgeon would be receiving large numbers of calls at any time of day or night.

It's often a good idea to withhold your number except when calling family and friends, when you can use 1470 to release it. That way, you are in control of when and to whom you give out your number. Giving your number to all and sundry can just invite junk calls, e.g. about the quotation you didn't accept, soliciting another charity donation etc.

Telephone numbers are personal data and it's not unreasonable to take care of them.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Gerry1 said, I used to withhold mine as I was Ex-directory and I did not want companies I phoned for any reason to have my number.