Options

McGann's spin off series

Comments

• Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know how much NOTD has bumped Big Finish 8th Doctor sales.

This is what we need! Lots of lovely audios :D
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come on now! There is no way they are going to have Capaldi, Hurt and McGann running around at the same time as the Doctor. Also I think alot of these demands show a naivety about how TV works.

Do you really think they can just knock up a few Time War minisodes with a world famous actor in their spare time? This stuff doesn't get magicked out of thin air! It takes alot of work and money.

Typical of fans. We want 8 back! Just a cameo will do!

Heres a specially made mini episode we made in secret! Enjoy!

We want more! We want more! We want more!

McGann is done on screen. Yes its a shame. But blame those involved in the nineties. Moffat bas a brand new Doctor and stories to tell.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I think alot of these demands show a naivety about how TV works.

Or possibly a naivety about the actual desired outcome of this sort of petition? If it binds together McGann supporters and offers some objective validation of their opinions, probably they'll be happy regardless?

EDIT: like Question Number One at PMQs, I guess. Nobody actually cares about the answer — it's just a tool for other objectives.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Double-post - deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I'd like to know is, given how many people here were screaming blue murder because they thought McGann had no involvement in the 50th, are now going to come out an apologise like they promised, should they be proven wrong? :)

#JustSayin'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TEDR wrote: »
    Or possibly a naivety about the actual desired outcome of this sort of petition? If it binds together McGann supporters and offers some objective validation of their opinions, probably they'll be happy regardless?

Yes, it's nice that people can bond over the petition but it's a fruitless exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    Yes, it's nice that people can bond over the petition but it's a fruitless exercise.

Exactly. If that's all they want then fine if a little bit pointless. But I have real issues with these sorts of petitions and viewers thinking they can decide what happens on screen. This isn't reality TV. It isn't a Choose Your Own Adventure. Its a drama series written by those that are talented enough to do it. I fear a day when the BBC open the voting lines to decide the Next Doctor. Fans can have an opinion on what they would like of course we all do. But trying to force it through via spurious online petitions is silly and demanding. Also things like Change.org and similar were set up to promote people power in politics and society. It seems like a misuse for Doctor Who fans to use it to try and get a character back on their favourite TV show.

If people think DW and Sherlock are too influenced by fans now imagine if these sorts of things had any sway! The show will be finished. Go and write some fan fiction and leave the show in the hands of the producers and writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. If that's all they want then fine if a little bit pointless. But I have real issues with these sorts of petitions and viewers thinking they can decide what happens on screen.

Although I loved McGann's interpretation, I'd rather see him as a major role in something new. He's a very good actor and he deserves the chance to be 'the star', rather than an understudy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I loved McGann's interpretation, I'd rather see him as a major role in something new. He's a very good actor and he deserves the chance to be 'the star', rather than an understudy.

Very true. I was watching Alien3 the other night and he got a bit unfairly treated on that with much of his role being edited out by the studio. He is such a talent its a mystery he isn't in more things. One of this country's best actors. And like you say. Better for someone to give him a show of his own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very true. I was watching Alien3 the other night and he got a bit unfairly treated on that with much of his role being edited out by the studio. He is such a talent its a mystery he isn't in more things. One of this country's best actors. And like you say. Better for someone to give him a show of his own.

I can't believe that the Americans introduced him as being from Alien3, as if he's some second-rate actor!

If you want to see him as a lead, The Monocled Mutineer and Paper Mask are really good performances. He even sings in them :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that the Americans introduced him as being from Alien3, as if he's some second-rate actor!

If you want to see him as a lead, The Monocled Mutineer and Paper Mask are really good performances. He even sings in them :D

Withnail & I. That is all i'll say.:)
  • Options
    comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Check out his audio adventures, some are really really good.

He's actually one of my favourite Doctors now, really up for adventure and kind to his companions (e.g. Charlie)
  • Options
    GillrayGillray Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    He is such a talent its a mystery he isn't in more things. One of this country's best actors. And like you say. Better for someone to give him a show of his own.

Playing a murder victim on The Bletchley Circle this week - don't know if he chooses these supporting roles or that's all he gets offered but it seems a shame. Maybe because he has leading man looks he prefers to fight against type casting or perhaps just didn't like the lime light that leading roles brought him in the 90s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Superb actor. Even makes dross that has been disowned by its creators seem utterly awesome - I refer here to his 'W****s of f*****g Hades' line from Lesbian Vampire Killers. I swear, that man could read from the phone book and keep folk gripped throughout. :D
  • Options
    Matt_1979Matt_1979 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    FFS no!!! The first movie was dire even though PMcG is a good actor. Nowhere near the quality of the Peter Cushing films.

I agree about the Paul McGann movie. He played The Doctor well, but the movie was just too Americanised and what was the idea about the TARDIS's appearance? It looked like a mansion on the inside and it never did before or since. How did they explain that one?
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    I agree about the Paul McGann movie. He played The Doctor well, but the movie was just too Americanised and what was the idea about the TARDIS's appearance? It looked like a mansion on the inside and it never did before or since. How did they explain that one?

I seem to recall that the Tardis interior hasn't always been a one-room set.

I can remember Tom Baker trudging through something that looked more like a power station with iron handrails and concrete steps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FunkyJawa wrote: »

"There is, you'll agree, a certain 'je ne sais quoi' oh so very special about a firm, young carrot." ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Check out his audio adventures, some are really really good.

He's actually one of my favourite Doctors now, really up for adventure and kind to his companions (e.g. Charlie)

I think more audio adventures would be the best compromise :)

And for anyone who lives in the UK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03nrlyq/Saturday_Drama_Secrets_of_the_Small_Hours/

The play itself is a bit...well Radio 4-ish. A load of middle-class adulterers and nymphomaniacs in an enclosed space drinking and talking all night but McGann is very good, despite the ridiculous storyline!
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FunkyJawa wrote: »

So, what you're saying is you want to see a one off with McGann's doctor just doing his thing and then suddenly the Great Intelligence appears, the two of them say "sod it" and wonder off to the countryside where they meet uncle slartibartfast who just talks about fjords all night and tries to do other stuff ! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Matt_1979 wrote: »

I think you can quibble about the plot and some other minor things (but you can do that with any episode of Doctor Who), but I don't think its that Americanised. A lot of the icons of the programme remained in tact, which is surprising considering how quirky and British they are, and the pacing and characterisation are pretty similar to Nu Who.

Unless you've only watched the last few episodes of the programme, you must be aware that the TARDIS can change it's inward appearance, and has on many occasions - clue: its bigger on the inside.
  • Options
    MobesMobes Posts: 58
    Forum Member

McGann is done on screen. Yes its a shame. But blame those involved in the nineties. Moffat bas a brand new Doctor and stories to tell.

Why should McGann be 'done' on screen. There's absolutely no reason he shouldn't be in a multi Doctor episode with Capaldi.

Let's not forget, one of the reasons McGann wasn't in the 'New Who' originally was that Davies thought his appearance would confuse/alienate a new audience.

Well that ship has been sunk with his minisode. He is truly part of the continuum now so no confusion any more, no alienation.

He can easily make a comeback in 'normal' episodes.

Let's hope those in charge read and listen to those of us who would love to see him back.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Capaldi. All clothes, all merchandise would be Capaldi. McGann, like with Night Of The Doctor would live purely on iPlayer and the Red Button for the fans to watch if they wish. No obligation to watch on those unfamiliar, no confusion with merchandising, just an extra few mini episodes a year in place of the half hearted prequels for the fans, with their own self contained arc. It wouldn't distract from Capaldi, the press, most fans and average viewer would still be most interested in him, they'd just have a little something extra to watch between episodes or series. There really isn't a valid argument against it, they'd take a few days to write, a few days at the end of production to film and they're budgeted for especially by the BBC like the prequels are. Nothing else changes, nothing is effected, except iPlayer, which gets a few million extra views and something cool and long-value to promote it's other exclusive content with, and the DVDs, which as an additional feature, get to offer two series for the price of one. To not take the opportunity to do it would be, in my opinion, foolish.
    Science Fiction is shockingly expensive to produce. It was all well and good to have a six-minute prologue/prequel minisode to promote The Day of the Doctor, but there's no way a whole series of Doctor Who could be produced just as a Red Button bonus "for the fans".

If McGann returns, it will almost certainly be as part of a multi-Doctor story with Peter Capaldi (or one of his successors) very much in place as the current Doctor. We will not get two current Doctors. The idea of having a TV Doctor for the general public and a Red Button Doctor "for the fans" is utterly bonkers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Science Fiction is shockingly expensive to produce. It was all well and good to have a six-minute prologue/prequel minisode to promote The Day of the Doctor, but there's no way a whole series of Doctor Who could be produced just as a Red Button bonus "for the fans".

If McGann returns, it will almost certainly be as part of a multi-Doctor story with Peter Capaldi (or one of his successors) very much in place as the current Doctor. We will not get two current Doctors. The idea of having a TV Doctor for the general public and a Red Button Doctor "for the fans" is utterly bonkers.

I know, the fact that the poster says that it would only take a few days to write and produce these episodes is quite funny, unless he's thinking they could be set in McGann's back garden.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. If that's all they want then fine if a little bit pointless. But I have real issues with these sorts of petitions and viewers thinking they can decide what happens on screen. This isn't reality TV. It isn't a Choose Your Own Adventure. Its a drama series written by those that are talented enough to do it. I fear a day when the BBC open the voting lines to decide the Next Doctor. Fans can have an opinion on what they would like of course we all do. But trying to force it through via spurious online petitions is silly and demanding. Also things like Change.org and similar were set up to promote people power in politics and society. It seems like a misuse for Doctor Who fans to use it to try and get a character back on their favourite TV show.

If people think DW and Sherlock are too influenced by fans now imagine if these sorts of things had any sway! The show will be finished. Go and write some fan fiction and leave the show in the hands of the producers and writers.

I agree about he way change.org gets used. Perhaps I shouldn't get so annoyed about it, but it does bother me when something like that is set up so people can petition over serious, important issues and then go and use it to petition for pointless, inconsequential things like who should be hired on a TV show.

Its like being handed a platform to have your say about what you think really matters in the world and you decide to spend the time talking about fantasy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gillray wrote: »
    I know, the fact that the poster says that it would only take a few days to write and produce these episodes is quite funny, unless he's thinking they could be set in McGann's back garden.

Featuring his brothers! The TARDIS could be a painted shed!