Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    They can also be caused by the rapid acceleration on the way down. Just like g's will be pulled on a rocket launch on the way up until it stops accelerating.

Surely, if the plane has stalled, the acceleration of both aircraft and passengers would be g? i.e. they'd experience weightlessness.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long has it been, 36 hours?
    You obviously missed a previous post i made......36 hours is nothing.

An Air France jet flying from Brazil to France vanished into the Atlantic Ocean on 1 June 2009, with the loss of all 228 people on board.

Debris was spotted the following day but it took nearly two years to locate the flight recorders and remains of the fuselage, deep on the ocean floor. The waters off Vietnam and in the Malacca straits are much shallower.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You only have to watch air crash investigation to realise that 95% of the time it is human error. Often when the plane does fail it is because of some ridiculous maintenance mishap.

I don't think i'll ever understand these pilots that stall planes then immediately put the nose up. It is probably the first thing you're ever told yet it happens so (relatively) frequently.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment I am sure the thoughts of the family and friends of those on the flight are concentrated on their immediate grief, the questions and the answers they want will come later. Putting myself in their position x days, weeks, months down the line I wonder what would be harder to bear, that the flight went down because of terrorism or because it was felled by some technical problem that could have been avoided? Not sure there is an easy answer to that one.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wasn't it two years to RETRIEVE the black boxes from the air france crash though?
    since as you said, the wreckage was so deep
  • Options
    KosciuskoKosciusko Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    Security expert for British airports, on sky tv quotes
    The person with the stolen passports would have been picked up, upon going through customs & excise

So if this would have been the case, did these two with the stolen passport have any intention of traveling to Amsterdam
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this passenger passport issue will ultimately turn into a red herring. I don't think this was terrorism. If it was, why would they take over an airliner simply to down it into the sea without much to show for it? More spectacular to bring it down on land somewhere for all to see and be highly visible. Plus, with an attempted hijack do the pilots not have a panic button to give an immediate signal to air traffic control? Certainly some communication would surely have been made. Thoughts of possible terrorism were quite slow to emerge after the disappearance of the aircraft. Ultimately this is going to prove to be a tragic accident and maybe a rather mysterious one that will take a lot of effort to discover and explain fully.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may know more than they've said so far. When the Air France flight crashed it was feeding back data from the avionics up until the actual crash... data which indicated failures in the avionics. From what I remember the authorities didnt release this information until a week after the crash. Hopefully this plane would have a similar system.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think this passenger passport issue will ultimately turn into a red herring. I don't think this was terrorism. If it was, why would they take over an airliner simply to down it into the sea without much to show for it? More spectacular to bring it down on land somewhere for all to see and be highly visible. Plus, with an attempted hijack do the pilots not have a panic button to give an immediate signal to air traffic control? Certainly some communication would surely have been made. Thoughts of possible terrorism were quite slow to emerge after the disappearance of the aircraft. Ultimately this is going to prove to be a tragic accident and maybe a rather mysterious one that will take a lot of effort to discover and explain fully.

Could also be suicide, like SilkAir 185. Pilot disconnected the recorder and comms, then plunged the plane into the water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    wasn't it two years to RETRIEVE the black boxes from the air france crash though?
    since as you said, the wreckage was so deep
    Yes but we are barely two days into this incident and as one poster rightly pointed out early on, searching an ocean is like looking for a pin prick in a watermelon. Plus it now seems they have possibly been searching in the wrong area since learning the plane may have turned back, so will now be extending the search even wider.

36 hours is nothing......though it must feel like a lifetime to those grieving.
  • Options
    Uncle_PhilUncle_Phil Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    Kosciusko wrote: »
    Security expert for British airports, on sky tv quotes

So if this would have been the case, did these two with the stolen passport have any intention of traveling to Amsterdam

Unlikely. As transit passengers you can get clearance into China for 72 hours with no effort.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could also be suicide, like SilkAir 185. Pilot disconnected the recorder and comms, then plunged the plane into the water.
    Not so actually.

An excellent documentary was screened on it and the full version can be watched here. It involves some brilliant detective work, extremely clever metallurgist, and a sharp Lawyer. It cost an American company $44 million in compensation.

It's very fascinating, intense, and the outcome will surprise you but rather than spoil it, i'd rather you watched it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Not so actually.

An excellent documentary was screened on it and the full version can be watched here. It involves some brilliant detective work, extremely clever metallurgist, and a sharp Lawyer. It cost an American company $44 million in compensation.

It's very fascinating, intense, and the outcome will surprise you but rather than spoil it, i'd rather you watched it.

NTSB already stated that the most probable cause was suicide. The pilot was in debt and severely depressed, took out a life insurance policy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm finding this story so creepy. I hope they find the plane soon and therefore some answers. My heart goes out to the passengers and their loved ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its nearly 4am, and someone said earlier on there suppose to be an update from the airport authorities round this time
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malaikah wrote: »
    Surely not. Pretty sure someone would be owing up to it by now!!
    I don't think anyones claimed responsibility for the knife massacre in China last week.
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I think this passenger passport issue will ultimately turn into a red herring. I don't think this was terrorism. If it was, why would they take over an airliner simply to down it into the sea without much to show for it? More spectacular to bring it down on land somewhere for all to see and be highly visible. Plus, with an attempted hijack do the pilots not have a panic button to give an immediate signal to air traffic control? Certainly some communication would surely have been made.
    As I said earlier it could have just been a bomb/bombs, no hijacking involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    UPDATE- there is no indication of the ethnic origin of the Austrian who had his passport stolen as yet.
    Austrian now named as Christian Kozel, so one would expect at least two passengers with false passports did not look far eastern.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its nearly 4am, and someone said earlier on there suppose to be an update from the airport authorities round this time

There is and they have found nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where there has been similar crashes, how long till bodies were found, and right now just wondering, if there was an explosion mid air, and the possible temperatures, that could be resulted, would we have bodies to find
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Austrian now named as Christian Kozel, so one would expect at least two passengers with false passports did not look far eastern.
    At press conference was asked specifically the question of whether the false passport users looked far eastern, he stated they would not be revealing any information on those persons yet as they don;t want to jeopardise investigation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    At press conference was asked specifically the question of whether the false passport users looked far eastern, he stated they would not be revealing any information on those persons yet as they don;t want to jeopardise investigation.

I wonder if the investigation will also look at where these tow might have travelled from, if passports were stolen in thai land, did they also travel from thai land, on these passport, or there own
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where there has been similar crashes, how long till bodies were found, and right now just wondering, if there was an explosion mid air, and the possible temperatures, that could be resulted, would we have bodies to find

They have no idea what happened. They are still searching:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the investigation will also look at where these tow might have travelled from, if passports were stolen in thai land, did they also travel from thai land, on these passport, or there own

They couldn't have :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NTSB already stated that the most probable cause was suicide. The pilot was in debt and severely depressed, took out a life insurance policy.
    "Probable" means 'likely' or 'feasible'. Lots of people become 'severely depressed' or get in debt, but that doesn't necessarily make them a suicide case.

Watch that documentary.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where does that leave the co-pilot in this scenario? :confused:
This discussion has been closed.