Under 16's can't be swapped out on 6 chair challenge

2»

Comments

• MilkitaMilkita Posts: 1,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spkx wrote: »
    It's the timing, they cannot be 'working' after 10:30PM or 30 minutes after their last performance

Oh thank you for clearing this up!!! I'm more aware of how it works now :)
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    under 16s have special rules in these cases (legal ones, not X Factor's own), it's why emily also wasn't on xtra factor (and wont be if she makes lives, unless she turns 16 by then) and even wasnt in the photo of Cheryl's final six.

I understand the child actor/singer working hours thing regarding the Xtra Factor and the final six photo, but what law says that someone under 16 is exempt from rules put on contestants over 16 in a competition? If all contestants are made to sign contracts was this a rule they put in place themselves?
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I understand the child actor/singer working hours thing regarding the Xtra Factor and the final six photo, but what law says that someone under 16 is exempt from rules put on contestants over 16 in a competition? If all contestants are made to sign contracts was this a rule they put in place themselves?

I'm with you. I don't think the rule is about anything other than the perceived cruelty of swapping out someone who is under the age of 16.
    In which case, why have under 16's in the competition?

The guy who spoke to Cheryl indicated that rule was something the judges and staff had come up with, it's clearly not a legal requirement.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's no explicit laws but as well as the legal regulations on working hours and whatnot, Ofcom has its own guidelines on Children being used in TV shows and I suspect that ITV probably has its own internal guidelines too.

Personally I don't see the big deal, but then I guess people will complain about anything nowadays
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see it being an actual law, if there was a law about severe emotional trauma put on under 16s then they wouldn't be allowed to have the show open to them in any way. Swapping them out of a chair isn't too far away from ditching them on live TV in the live shows. It's probably just a rule they've made up themselves.
  • fribbletfribblet Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's entirely down to the working laws.

In the groups at bootcamp the situation arose where youngsters had to leave the stage because the show finished later than they were allowed to be filmed.

Unfair to swap out contestants that aren't even there, and also unfair to make it different rules according to what time of day it was filmed. Easier just to say they can't be swapped out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fribblet wrote: »
    It's entirely down to the working laws.
    In the groups at bootcamp the situation arose where youngsters had to leave the stage because the show finished later than they were allowed to be filmed.
    That's just nonsense (not on your part ,,, on X Factor's)
    The production company knows the law
    Film at a different time. Simples.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's just nonsense (not on your part ,,, on X Factor's)
    The production company knows the law
    Film at a different time. Simples.

They filmed at Wembley, it's not the type of place you can just book out on a whim.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    The way it all went tonight they would have had a case for child cruelty had they messed her about. Kids shouldn't be in this anyway - imo.

On that matter we agree.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think under 16s should be on. If they're not talented they will get teased (or worse) when they go back to school and if they are talented stardom can wait a few years.

Syco wants to snap them up into development contracts though (see Ella H and Tamera).