Sweden to become first EU country to recognize State of Palestine

PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
Forum Member
✭✭
Good on them I say. We should do the same.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/03/sweden-recognise-state-palestine
Sweden’s new centre-left government has indicated that it intends to formally recognise the state of Palestine – making it the first major European country to do so.

The move is significant because it comes amid a diplomatic push by Palestinians at the UN to secure a security council resolution setting a two-year deadline for Israel to end its occupation of Palestinian territories and East Jerusalem by November 2016

Comments

• delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a vote a week on Monday, email your MP
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,564
    Forum Member
    Good news
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good move Sweden.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gesture politics to appease their large Muslim immigrant vote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope it's the first of many more. :)
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

you could have got something a bit newer couldn't you?

How about the BBC child rape wave? or the Catholic Church rape wave? They're quite new.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can you recognise a state that doesn't exist ?
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,414
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Good news

It's fine by me but it might have had a greater positive impact if Sweden had liaised with other progressive EU Member States (Denmark, Ireland, etc.) first with a view to encouraging Netanyahu to compromise otherwise there would be recognition of Palestine by a number of different EU countries at the same time. That would have had a more significant diplomatic effect for Palestine rather than this lone effort.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

By recognising it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's fine by me but it might have had a greater positive impact if Sweden had liaised with other progressive EU Member States (Denmark, Ireland, etc.) first with a view to encouraging Netanyahu to compromise otherwise there would be recognition of Palestine by a number of different EU countries at the same time. That would have had a more significant diplomatic effect for Palestine rather than this lone effort.

It might be the first of many.

How do you know they haven't discussed it with others? Someone has to be first, this might help persuade others to make the move.
  • BeanybunBeanybun Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By recognising it.

Ok, in that case I recognise the land of Oz.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where will the Swedes open their embassy- East Jerusalem?
    Forum Member
    WindWalker wrote: »
    It might be the first of many.

How do you know they haven't discussed it with others? Someone has to be first, this might help persuade others to make the move.

Because I would have known about it because it would have been published in an informed and relevant publication such as this one here: Berlingske

It's also no good if it's only the usual authoritarian basket case places like Venezuela and Cuba that recognise Palestine. A couple of months of diplomatic discussions on the part of Sweden's new government might have produced recognition on the same day by half a dozen or more EU countries which would have had far more impact. If I'd have been Stefan Löfven, I'd have tried that approach first.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Im with you on that, this will lead to trouble Im sure!
    With the relations between the PA and Israel very low its not looking like a two state solution could ever work anyway.
    A unilateral declaration by the PA is against the Oslo accords too! So its True that as things stand there is no state called 'Palestine'!
    The only way that a 'Palestinian State' for Arabs could exist is if they agreed to give up their claims on any other part of Israel thats not been included as part of the deal and they fully recognise Israel's right to exist and never attack it again!
    As most of them believe that 'wiping the Jews into the sea' is a good idea, there can never be true piece between the 'Palestinian' Arabs and Israel and its all down to the 'Palestinian' Arabs they really cant blame Israel!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ask the UN general assembly.

The UN general assembly approved the de facto recognition of the sovereign state of Palestine in 2012 but the European Union and most EU countries have yet to give official recognition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I would have known about it because it would have been published in an informed and relevant publication such as this one here: Berlingske

It's also no good if it's only the usual authoritarian basket case places like Venezuela and Cuba that recognise Palestine. A couple of months of diplomatic discussions on the part of Sweden's new government might have produced recognition on the same day by half a dozen or more EU countries which would have had far more impact. If I'd have been Stefan Löfven, I'd have tried that approach first.

Not everything being discussed by governments or countries are publicised, especially if it's something that may prove sensitive/volatile to the status quo.

With Sweden’s reputation as an honest broker in international affairs and with an influential voice in EU foreign policy, the decision may well make other countries sit up and pay attention at a time when the Palestinians are threatening unilateral moves towards statehood.

However, there is likely to be strong criticism of Sweden from Israel, as well as from the United States and the EU, which maintain that an independent Palestinian state should only emerge through a negotiated process.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The UN general assembly approved the de facto recognition of the sovereign state of Palestine in 2012 but the European Union and most EU countries have yet to give official recognition.

It goes against Oslo so effectively the recognition by the UN was illegal!
    Forum Member
    Not everything being discussed by governments or countries are publicised, especially if it's something that may prove sensitive/volatile to the status quo.

With Sweden’s reputation as an honest broker in international affairs and with an influential voice in EU foreign policy, the decision may well make other countries sit up and pay attention at a time when the Palestinians are threatening unilateral moves towards statehood.

However, there is likely to be strong criticism of Sweden from Israel, as well as from the United States and the EU, which maintain that an independent Palestinian state should only emerge through a negotiated process.

= Espoo. There are some very good and reliable sources out there and, for example, Berlingske is one of them.

Unfortunately, what Löfven has done is to chose short term gesture politics over longer term effective politics. If he'd have taken his time to build up an alliance and have a joint announcement from half a dozen heads of government at an international press conference in front of the Riksdag then that would have had far more impact and it would have been the better way to support the Palestinian cause rather than the 'go it alone' option which will be a here today, gone tomorrow story when things could have been so much better.
  • Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beanybun wrote: »
    Ok, in that case I recognise the land of Oz.
    Where will the Swedes open their embassy- East Jerusalem?

....:D
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    They just have to stop the assassination attempts on Abbas now. Then maybe sort out the Human Rights violations of Hamas and we're good to go.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I have not recognised it either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    = Espoo. There are some very good and reliable sources out there and, for example, Berlingske is one of them.

Unfortunately, what Löfven has done is to chose short term gesture politics over longer term effective politics. If he'd have taken his time to build up an alliance and have a joint announcement from half a dozen heads of government at an international press conference in front of the Riksdag then that would have had far more impact and it would have been the better way to support the Palestinian cause rather than the 'go it alone' option which will be a here today, gone tomorrow story when things could have been so much better.

I would think it's a long term aim to get recognition and the announcement of more than one country supporting it would make no difference one way or the other. Grandstanding at an announcement is not going to solve anything, nor is airing discussions in the media. If one country is seen to go against the status quo, others may well feel more confident in following their example. Don't think there aren't risks to doing so from Israel/America/UK, because there are.

I have a feeling I know which way our vote will go, though I'll be happy to be proved wrong. The government's lack of criticism over the recent slaughter, despite other countries doing, so tells you all you need to know about where loyalties lay. It will take more than half a dozen countries standing up and announcing support to change that,...sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have not recognised it either.

You're insignificant.