Options

Can Lady Gaga regain her place at the top?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
Forum Member
I have been a huge fan of Lady Gaga since July 2008 a good 6 months before Just Dance was even released in the UK, I always knew she was something special and would be a huge star, following her career is something I have done for 6 years.

We all know she was a huge success in 2009,10 and 11 but since last year and the release of ARTPOP , which I personally believe contains some of her best work it all seems to have gone downhill. I'm not a mindless fan who praises everything she does I can and will criticise her decisions and a few times over the past year I was close to throwing in the towel because of her new found ' I hate pop ' attitude.

She suddenly sees herself as being above all other female pop stars and while I can agree with some of her points for example miming and being a corporate puppet , I don't think this attitude will do her any favours in the long run.

There have also been númerous bad single releases like Judas/TEOG , GUY which became her 1st single not only to miss the top 40 but the top 100 altogether. And the worst of all was the failure to provide a video for DWUW a song which could have repaired the damage done to her career, everyone I knew who didn't even like gaga LOVED that song , with the proper treatment it could have been a massive number 1 single. Of course her and her teams bad decisions ruined it again.

I feel like ever since She ditched the professionals in her team and relied on her friends all her ideas have turned to shit, I think she needs these professionals to help mould her ideas into something rather than surround herself with a bunch of yes men. I don't howeve think she will do this.

However I do hold out hope for the next album campaign , the promo for C2C has been flawless under new management and she seems to be happier than in a long time.

I just hope the music is good and she changes her elitist attitude, I want her to do well.

What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is true as I don't follow her or her ilk, but is she now considered a has-been?
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss her 'The Fame' days, everything since then has been too dark (BTW) or artsy (Artpop) for me. I discovered her in Deceber 2008 (6 years ago what the hell!?!) and was absolutely obsessed in 2009 and 2010. She's alienated a lot of the fans she got back then. If she goes back to the dance-pop sound and look from those days I would love her again in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    you could have saved yourself that essay in the OP by just bumping one of the other 10000 is gaga finished? threads
  • Options
    LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Judas, TEOG and GUY were great releases though. Some of her best.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The best tracks from ARTPOP (generally liked and of quality) are:
    -ARTPOP (track)
    -Mary Jane Holland
    -Sexxx Dreams

I love the whole album, I'm a huge fan too. But I think those three could still fit in on her other albums somewhere.

I liked the darker side of BTW, but my ultimate era from her is 2009/10, The Fame era.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She needs to ditch the "Gaga" persona and go back to being Stefanie. I want the real woman, not the fake alternate woman who doesn't sing anything personal.
    I've been listening to her music for years, but I don't feel as though I know the real person under all the costumes and wigs.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don’t understand why people keep calling Artpop a departure from The Fame/Fame Monster era. It’s still a pop/dance album. It’s also not dark or particularly deep. The truth is Lady Gaga climbed to the top very quickly, peaked very quickly and people then became bored of her. Her success seems to have levelled out now. I doubt she will hit those heights again.

Personally, I've never understood her appeal or the hype. Her music is made out to be so much more than what it actually is. She’s all style and no substance. The majority of her material is highly generic.

AdzPower wrote: »
    She needs to ditch the "Gaga" persona and go back to being Stefanie. I want the real woman, not the fake alternate woman who doesn't sing anything personal.
    I've been listening to her music for years, but I don't feel as though I know the real person under all the costumes and wigs.

She didn’t become famous for being Stefani Germanotta, she became famous when she adopted the Lady Gaga persona. If she hadn’t adopted that persona, she’d probably still be a struggling singer in New York City. All of those looks and the theatrics have done her more harm than good. There’s only so long someone can keep that entire shtick going before it becomes boring. One thing Madonna has never done is let her image (I use the word "her" loosely) become bigger and more talked about than her music. Same goes for David Bowie. Both Bowie and Madonna are known to adopt a specific look for a period of time before leaving it behind. Lady Gaga throws any old rubbish to the wall in the hope that something will stick. She mostly comes across as insincere and desperate.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been a fan since 2008 saw her live back in the days when she was an opening act for new kids on the block , monster ball twice , born this way ball saw the artrave twice last summer so im not a hater but all of her singles following born this way have underperformed on the charts and thats already 3+ years ag0

Its gonna be very hard for her to get back on top unless a drasctic change happens, yes she has a very loyal die hard fan base but the casual fans left her a while ago

Not that im a big fan of hers but not everyone can be Madonna and last 25+ years in the pop world

I see Gaga more like a Cyndi Lauper type (way more artsy and artistic excentric)
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She got too weird and her songs are shit in comparison to what they used to be. The public can only put up with someone like her for so long. And she panders FAR too much to the LGBT community, basically alienating all heterosexuals.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quixotic wrote: »
    I don’t understand why people keep calling Artpop a departure from The Fame/Fame Monster era. It’s still a pop/dance album. It’s also not dark or particularly deep. The truth is Lady Gaga climbed to the top very quickly, peaked very quickly and people then became bored of her. Her success seems to have levelled out now. I doubt she will hit those heights again.

But actually Artpop is quite different from both the Fame/Fame Monster and Born This Way. Yes, it's still electronic dance but it seemed to me it lost the pop aspect of more melodic traditional songwriting. All the songs have a weird confusing structure with different ideas strung together that don't mesh. The songs are also very thumping club beat things, rather than the more pop melodies of her earlier work.
  • Options
    superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd give anything for another Dance in the Dark <3
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Songs like Donatella, MANiCURE & Fashion! would easily have fit it on 'The Fame'. The rest (on ARTPOP) are quite experimental (ARTPOP, Swine, Aura).
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frankly for me and many others she shit herself by proclaiming to be this niche avant garde artist above all her contemporaries, when in actuality she is no different.

Her sings are standard dance pop fair, her looks borderline ridiculous now. It's all well and good playing dress up but when you haven't the supposed world changing musuc to back it up it's pointless.

The Fame/ The Fame Monster was a good era as she had great style, great songs, abd had not crossed the threshold into pretentious bore.
  • Options
    SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you strip everything away Gaga is a very average artist. Her voice isn't that distinctive, she has zero looks, she cannot dance and all of her songs since The Fame have been generic dance rubbish that even Rita Ora would turn down.

The facts are that Beyoncé in particular overshadow Gaga in every sense. Beyoncé is the queen of this generation, no one else, while Katy Perry is the girl next door that teenagers can relate too and Rihanna is pretty much the perfect popstar in a way Gaga will never be. That's why all 3 are doing better than her.
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gypsy was a step in the right direction but that went to waste :(
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Sereniity wrote: »
    If you strip everything away Gaga is a very average artist. Her voice isn't that distinctive, she has zero looks, she cannot dance and all of her songs since The Fame have been generic dance rubbish that even Rita Ora would turn down.

The facts are that Beyoncé in particular overshadow Gaga in every sense. Beyoncé is the queen of this generation, no one else, while Katy Perry is the girl next door that teenagers can relate too and Rihanna is pretty much the perfect popstar in a way Gaga will never be. That's why all 3 are doing better than her.

Beyonce yes is superb I'll give you that.
    Katy Perry??? Sorry nothing on gaga, voice wise and talent wise full stop. She is a good popstar because she generally makes music for the masses. A song like 'ROAR' would appeal to 60 year olds as well as 2 year olds. Hence why it was such a hit. Gaga would never do such a song.

And Rihanna ?????? Don't even know where to start with that, average voice, below average dancer. And she does not write any of her own music !!!! Definition of a pop puppet that woman. I'm a fan of rihanna for what she is.

Gaga is an artist she puts her life and soul into everything she does. The woman must be exhausted having to battle this endless boring criticism and comparisons to other popstars who simply have nothing on her talent wise.

Gaga is not at the status she used to be because she appears to be making music geared towards a niche fan base now. Perhaps if she like most of the other puppets got other people to write and produce all her music then she may shift the same level of records as the fame era.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    She's a has-been.

She'll be performing in working men's clubs and holiday camps soon enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    She's a has-been.

She'll be performing in working men's clubs and holiday camps soon enough.

What? A has-been who has just made $80million from her tour? :p
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aura101 wrote: »
    Beyonce yes is superb I'll give you that.
    Katy Perry??? Sorry nothing on gaga, voice wise and talent wise full stop. She is a good popstar because she generally makes music for the masses. A song like 'ROAR' would appeal to 60 year olds as well as 2 year olds. Hence why it was such a hit. Gaga would never do such a song.

And Rihanna ?????? Don't even know where to start with that, average voice, below average dancer. And she does not write any of her own music !!!! Definition of a pop puppet that woman. I'm a fan of rihanna for what she is.

Gaga is an artist she puts her life and soul into everything she does. The woman must be exhausted having to battle this endless boring criticism and comparisons to other popstars who simply have nothing on her talent wise.

Gaga is not at the status she used to be because she appears to be making music geared towards a niche fan base now. Perhaps if she like most of the other puppets got other people to write and produce all her music then she may shift the same level of records as the fame era.

Are you delusional, agreed a song like roar has mass appeal. But so does just dance, poker face, the edge if glory. This is what continually frustrates me, gaga is not a trend setter, she is not edgy, abd she is not above anybody of her generation.

And what niche music Artpop if anything sounded stilted and dated. Nothing progressive there. If she genuinely created music that was inspiring, original and different it may be a different story. But she's a dance pop artist playing dress up.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    Ryan11 wrote: »
    Gypsy was a step in the right direction but that went to waste :(

Gypsy was by far the most single-worthy track on the album, but at the same time it also sounded the most like her previous stuff. What should she do, play it safe and release a track which could have been released 3 years ago, or risk it at release something different.

I love Artpop though personally. Some brilliant songs! Particuarly ARTPOP, Swine, GUY and Aura :D
  • Options
    RoadRoverRoadRover Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I think the whole "monsters" thing did her enormous damage. Around the Bad Romance time, she had million of casual fans and the whole monster thing alienated a lot of those people.

I also agree that she focused too much on the gay community which alienated her further. Combine that with the muddled era of artpop...and it's clear to see what happened.

However, she can definatley come back..perhaps not to the highest on the planet, but she can definatley have no 1 singles again. Just needs to focus on the music, and not too much on the whole mother monster thing.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she has peaked.

I think her "Lady Gaga" persona is now considered naff by young pop fans. The "weird" look isn't in now & the jazz stuff must just baffle some of the younger casual fans.

I honestly can't see her reaching the heights of Bad Romance again
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she's had her shot, she has most definately left her mark on pop music, and was very good for most of it, I reckon it would take somthing quite special for her to have another big record again. She does have a solid fanbase that will remain loyal to her, and she can't be denied of that an fair play to her. But for me I'm not really bothered about her anymore, she hasn't kept my interest since the release of Edge Of Glory, which is a shame as I once thought she was somthing special and exiting...I find her a bit depressing now, and normally turn over when she comes on TV or on shuffle. I think personally the spark she once had has long gone and I no longer find her fun.
  • Options
    Georges GrunGeorges Grun Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think this is exclusive to Lady Gaga, but I think a lot of her target audience are savvy enough to realise if and when something seems like too much work - Gaga at times - and more recently since the most recent album - makes it seem like a lot of hard work.

People I think prefer 'effortless' Gaga. I think pop is at its best when it 'seems' effortless (we aren't privvy to everything behind the scenes), rather than overly studied or calculated.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny because some popstars have these massive peaks and troughs throughout their careers, whilst others spend years/albums building up a fanbase before they hit the bigtime, and then there's even those who are always sort of 'around' but never become a superstar. Gaga epitomises the first one, she basically soared to fame straight away, leaving impossible to out-do herself. And there was no way she could sustain that high, which is why she literally broke (her hip) and has come crashing down.

It's just a shame ARTPOP wasn't the comeback it ought to have been, on account of bad managment and poor single choices. Venus ought to have been released as it was planned, in the October of 2013, instead of DWUW, which could've waited until early 2014. Then we would've gotten a video for both and would've have had to suffer G.U.Y.

Personally, I wish she wouldn't waste her valuable popstar 'youth years' singing Granny jazz songs with TB, but she does seem more settled and much happier. But she really needs to make the next album a BIG comeback. She'll always have her die-hard fans (like me!) but that won't be enough to ensure a lifelong career unfortunately.