Options

Christmas cake and cheese

kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
Forum Member
✭✭
A friend of mine was saying the other day how she likes to eat cheese alongside her Christmas cake...she hails from Leeds and apparently its a regional thing...sounds delicious tbh...does anyone else eat the two together ?

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate36 wrote: »
    A friend of mine was saying the other day how she likes to eat cheese alongside her Christmas cake...she hails from Leeds and apparently its a regional thing...sounds delicious tbh...does anyone else eat the two together ?

My parents were from down south and they introduced me to eating cheese with christmas cake.
    Try it yourself it is lovely.
    I like blue stilton with my cake, a plain cake not one with marzipan and icing on it.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, sounds quite gross but you never know.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a nice little read about cheese and cake.
    http://www.cheesechap.com/2012/07/top-five-cheese-and-cake-matches.html
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great read and I'm a bit peckish now.. Roquefort and fruit cake sounds delicious.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never think to have cheese with cake, unless it's cheesecake. :-D

Cheese is versatile, I was watching a Hairy Bikers episode where they made some kind of stew or hotpot and the local tradition was to have a big chunk of cheese on the side of the bowl. And boy did they mean 'chunk'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a nice little read about cheese and cake.
    http://www.cheesechap.com/2012/07/top-five-cheese-and-cake-matches.html

Thanks Summer breeze... That is a very interesting article!!! My friend eats cheddar with her christmas cake but I wonder if Lancashire cheese would work as well ?:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never think to have cheese with cake, unless it's cheesecake. :-D

Cheese is versatile, I was watching a Hairy Bikers episode where they made some kind of stew or hotpot and the local tradition was to have a big chunk of cheese on the side of the bowl. And boy did they mean 'chunk'.

One main reason why I love the Hairy Bikers:D
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm from Leeds and it's always been the norm to have some crumbly cheese like Cheshire or Wensleydale with Christmas cake. The cake was always made by my mum and not iced though. I don't imagine fruit cake and cheese would work so well if icing was involved!

Last year we went The Angel at Hetton, North Yorkshire and they offer you fruit cake with the cheeseboard.

It's a lovely combination although I could see why it might be seen as 'wrong'!
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Yes Christmas Cake with Wensleydale Cheese. Gorgeous. Its a must have in our house.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad always ate cheese with rich fruit cakes, never with Christmas cake though only uniced ones. He came from Dorset.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Yes Christmas Cake with Wensleydale Cheese. Gorgeous. Its a must have in our house.

I'm already looking forward to that as I've been to the Hawes Creamery for the Wensleydale this year, can't wait to try the special reserve with a bit of cake!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Welsh "cawl" (lamb broth) is often served with a chunk of cheese and crusty bread.

I could eat cheese with anything......
    except my BiL's favourite - a cheese and jam sandwich :blush:
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fruitcake with cheese and a glass of scotch is my idea of heaven.
  • Options
    luckylilaluckylila Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not keen on fruitcake myself but yes, I think cheese with fruitcake is a well-established combo.

Not sure if it's a regional thing, but my Dad is from Leeds too actually, so maybe it is.

Wensleydale is my all time favourite cheese. Delicious with apples or pears too.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheese is nice but can't stand dried fruit which is why I hate most Christmas food. Disgusting stuff that's usually overdosed with cinnamon and spices and alcohol. It's dry as a bone and sits in your stomach like a lump of clay. Mince pies and Christmas pudding. YUK! You need a gallon of cream or custard just to get it down your throat and disguise the taste and then you have to sit all night while it repeats on you. Christmas cake is no exception. I don't know what the fascination is with eating copious amounts of stodgey, spiced, dried fruit based food at Christmas.

Some people even eat cheese with dried fruit in it like cranberry or apricot. I tried some fruity cheese on a couple of occasions and it just made me gag. Gross!
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knew? I do this and I'm not even English!
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I have never tried this combo either and the first time I heard about it was when a friend who comes from Yorkshire told me about it.

I dislike traditional fruit cake but strangely enough I do like Malt Loaf so I might give the cheese a go with this.

I love any cheese with crackers and sometimes with sweet digestive biscuits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Cheese is nice but can't stand dried fruit which is why I hate most Christmas food. Disgusting stuff that's usually overdosed with cinnamon and spices and alcohol. It's dry as a bone and sits in your stomach like a lump of clay. Mince pies and Christmas pudding. YUK! You need a gallon of cream or custard just to get it down your throat and disguise the taste and then you have to sit all night while it repeats on you. Christmas cake is no exception. I don't know what the fascination is with eating copious amounts of stodgey, spiced, dried fruit based food at Christmas.

Some people even eat cheese with dried fruit in it like cranberry or apricot. I tried some fruity cheese on a couple of occasions and it just made me gag. Gross!

What do you actually like to eat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    What do you actually like to eat?

A huge portion of attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A huge portion of attention.

:D:D:D
    But the result is a vast quantity of hot air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    :D:D:D
    But the result is a vast quantity of hot air.
    Pfffffft!!
    :D
  • Options
    Red WhineRed Whine Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a cheese-aholic, a crimbly cheese is lovely with fruit cake, I used to buy a Bowland cheese which is basically cheese mixed with crumbled Christmas cake, but I haven't seen any since I moved down south. I ah e always got masses of cheese in my frisge, and use it to snack on as it is carb free, and I follow a low carb diet, but I do have to watch how much of it I eat as it is calorie heavy.
  • Options
    Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheffielder here. I find it weird that people don't eat cheese with there fruit cake lol
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am from Wakefield (near Leeds) and we always had cheese with Christmas Cake - funnily enough my Dad always had Lancashire cheese with his.
    My mother always left one cake without icing so we could have cheese with it.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lancashire cheese with Christmas cake is immense, same goes for Lancashire cheese and apple pie. And Lancashire cheese and strawberry jam in a sandwich. People see nothing wrong with topping a cheesecake with strawberries, either.

I was in an Italian restaurant once and they had a starter of a variety of Italian cheeses, dished up with honey, rocket and lemon juice. Utterly lush.

A lot of cheeses go famously with sweet or fruity things. Apple or grapes with a cheeseboard, sweet chutney with cheese, an apple on a Ploughman's lunch, pears and Stilton and walnuts, etc.