Not The Nine O' Clock News.

Comments

• FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    There are many classic sketches- the BBC 2 continuity, drunken darts, Two Ninnies (and I like that despite enjoying The Two Ronnies), I Like Trucking, Super Doopa, Question Time, Deaf Telephone....

Ahh the drunken darts.

Fatbelly Gutbucket and Evenfatterbelly Belcher.........

"And in Iran, the search goes on for the Ayathollah Khomeni's contact lens"

Cut to 1,000s of Muslims at prayer.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    The Kate Bush 'tribute' was an uproarious classic, although it seems to be particularly scarce on the internet.
    "People buy my latest hits, 'cause they liked my latex tits..."
    Kate Bush herself was credited as the songwriter on the album version ("Hedgehog Sandwich" if I recall correctly) - in fact I think she adapted one of her own songs ("Violin"?) specially... anyway, she/her publishers may have put pressure to have it removed from t'internet...
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask The Family - Mr Smartarse is a chartered accountant. Mrs Smartarse is a chartered account. And their children and both chartered accountants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Ahh the drunken darts.

Fatbelly Gutbucket and Evenfatterbelly Belcher.........

"And in Iran, the search goes on for the Ayathollah Khomeni's contact lens"

Cut to 1,000s of Muslims at prayer.

I do seem to remember a similarly-themed joke that I think we can safely say will never see the light of day again. It involved Pamela Stephenson reading the news in her Jan Leeming style, and the words "self" and "bashing" but that's about all it's safe to mention concerning it....
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a brilliant spoof of Olivia Newton John's "Physical" video (called "Typical", IIRC).

Can't find a link for it though :(

K
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I love the Two Ninnies skit. It's comedy bitchery at it's finest. I think it beautifully deconstructs the formula that the Ronnies stuck too for 20 years.
  • chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just proves what a waste of talent Mr Bean was ...

Casting Rowan as an almost total mute in a silent movie - brilliant :confused:

Still I'm sure it was very lucrative for him, what with needing no translation and being able to air in any country in the world
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I love the Two Ninnies skit. It's comedy bitchery at it's finest. I think it beautifully deconstructs the formula that the Ronnies stuck too for 20 years.

Ronnie Barker wasn't very happy about it by all accounts. Very accurate though !
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the PC Savage SPG sketch. And the list of charges against Winston Kodogo.

Walking on the cracks in the pavement.
    Loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing.
    Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area during the hours of darkness.
    Possession of an offensive wife.
  • BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Is this not one of the greatest shows ever made?

Definitely. I'm too young to remember it when it was originally on but my brother recently bought the DVDs.

Still I'm sure it was very lucrative for him, what with needing no translation and being able to air in any country in the world

Exactly. It was a global success for that reason.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy The Best Of "Not The Nine O'clock News" Volume 1 + 2 on dvd.

Volume 1 dvd
    Volume One of Not the Nine O'Clock News comprises 98 minutes of early material from the sketch show that ran between 1979 and 1982. Starring Rowan Atkinson, Griff Rhys-Jones, Mel Smith and Pamela Stephenson and coscripted by Richard (Blackadder) Curtis among others, it wasn't especially ground-breaking by the standards of Monty Python or contemporary series such as The Young Ones, but it did provide some pretty blunt belly-laughs at the major social and political concerns of the era: Thatcher, Reagan, police brutality, the prospect of nuclear war.

The latter makes for an excellent Question Time spoof, in which, with the four-minute warning having sounded, a panel of politicians continue bleating on their own agenda ("Three million people are going to die unemployed!").
    Atkinson's stuff is among the best here, be it as a hideous young Tory, or as Gerald the Gorilla, now civilised to a fault by the captor who caught him in the wild. ("Wild? I was livid!") The much-repeated bit of him walking into a tree, however, doesn't work as he clearly anticipates the collision.

While the musical elements look inevitably dated and a lengthy sketch on darts players boozing reaches the "Yeah, we get the point" mark long before it reaches its end, it's surprising how topical much of this material remains decades on--a sketch involving an agonising gay vicar springs to mind--while time hasn't eroded the quality of much of the writing

Volume 2 dvd
    More memorable sketch-show comedy from the 1980s Not The Nine O'clock News team of Mel Smith, Griff Rhys-Jones, Pamela Stephenson and Rowan Atkinson. Full of spoofs and topical satire this second volume includes the classic scene where Rowan Atkinson is casually walking down the street only to be distracted by the camera crew, which causes him to walk straight into that lamp-post. Also includes the songs I Like Trucking and Nice Video - Shame About The Song.

Other sketches include: Nobble Button, Not the Parrot Sketch, Jenkins' Pee, Nine-to-Five Wildebeest, Schmidt's Old Shag, National Health Beds, University Challenge, Cappucino, Join the Russian Army, Campari and Soda and Non-Diet Pepsi
  • TarotTarot Posts: 11,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    The Kate Bush 'tribute' was an uproarious classic, although it seems to be particularly scarce on the internet.

"People buy my latest hits, 'cause they liked my latex tits..."

I've just found this on YouTube:

England My Leotard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMjCq6ye_ZM
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    Ronnie Barker wasn't very happy about it by all accounts. Very accurate though !

I read he wasnt and questions were asked of the BBC hierarchy at the time as to whether it was the right thing to be doing.
    Personally, as someone very much brought up on cosy seventies mainstream comedy and light entertainment, that sketch actually shocked me. Having a bit of a go at a duo who were comedy heroes at their peak wasnt something I had seen before. My views on The Two Ronnies are as high as they ever were, but that moment was a watershed from which alternative 80's comedy sprang. It just took a while for me to get used to it.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah I mean made from Whales :D
    I like the Two Ninnies sketch despite enjoying the Two Ronnies, Ronnie Barker was a comedy genius IMO. :)
    I saw at as saying that 80's comedy/NTNoCN was different from the Two Ronnies/70's light entertainment, and also the producer said he didn't like innuendo. Why didnt they just say the words?
    I can see why Ronnie B. wasn't happy, it is rather cruel. Funny though! The song is spot on.

"Oh vagina oh vagina o-ver China Town" :D
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, thanks to all the people who posted links; these sketches are still hilarious.

Gerald the Gorilla has to my favourite, but all the links on here are great. Never liked the Two Ninnies sketch that some people mentioned; it just seemed to be shouting out swear words for the sake of it.
    Forum Member
    I think that was the point, it took the Two Ronnies use of 70's innuendo to the other extreme :)
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I think that was the point, it took the Two Ronnies use of 70's innuendo to the other extreme :)

Mmm. Well, didn't really work for me.
    Forum Member
    Fair enough :)
  • jarwynjarwyn Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite song was the one to the tune of Sting's "Every move you make".

I remember thinking how portent it was. :o
    Forum Member
    You mean Every Breath You Take? I don't remember that sketch.
    Anyway how could they perform that (am I thinking of a different song?) Wasn't EBYT a hit in 1983?
  • Mr BungleMr Bungle Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love the whole thing to be repeated on UK Gold or Paramount or something with the proper episodes.

But I can't see it ever happening because of a combination of Chris Langham's involvement and mass Daily Mail-generated hysteria...
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    jarwyn wrote: »
    My favourite song was the one to the tune of Sting's "Every move you make".

I remember thinking how portent it was. :o
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    You mean Every Breath You Take? I don't remember that sketch.
    Anyway how could they perform that (am I thinking of a different song?) Wasn't EBYT a hit in 1983?

It was in Spitting Image, that's why.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    Loved the PC Savage SPG sketch. And the list of charges against Winston Kodogo.

Walking on the cracks in the pavement.
    Loitering with intent to use a pedestrian crossing.
    Wearing a loud shirt in a built up area during the hours of darkness.
    Possession of an offensive wife.

Don't forget

"Possession of curly black hair and thick lips."

And the vicar trying to 'change' gays.

""And if you've tried aversion therapy, and tieing metals weights to your private parts....... and it hasn't worked it means that ..................................... god justs wants you to have a rotten life. God's like that. He HATES poofs!"

The two studio pundits agreeing that the only way to deal with soccer hooligans was to "cut their goolies off."

And please don't forget the piss take of the god Squad
    over reacting to Monty Python's Life of Brian.