English "Hooligans" surround German fan

pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1290104/World-Cup-2010-Lone-German-fan-jostled-elbowed-angry-England-supporters-World-Cup-knock-out.html

Slightly OTT - most of the "hooligans" look like nerds, and I'd have thought the police would have sorted it out in seconds. The only other evidence is what looks like a bunch of students/X Factor rejects setting fire to a German flag.

Even English hooliganism isn't what it used to be :p

Comments

• CerroneCerrone Posts: 894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people seriously think people get upset by burning a flag? It happens all the time with the Union Jack.

Oh no, some Iranian extremists have just set fire to a Union Jack in Teheran, I'm distraught, how can they do such a thing? WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :cry:

No, actually, :rolleyes:
  • pxd867pxd867 Posts: 11,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBH if they're going to do hooliganism then at least do it correctly - a few pissed up students burning a flag isn't exactly it. Perhaps it shows how "middle class" football has got, when it's Henry and Henrietta causing trouble :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Bit of a poor showing from the picture agency as well. Rather than just taking a picture of "Dozens of police (who) can be seen to the left of this picture standing guard in a bid to quell violence that erupted in the centre of London" you'd have thought they could have captured at least one shot of the actual violence itself either during it's eruption or in it's bloody and shameful aftermath.

I wonder how the poor shirtless German supporting fan happened to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and was so easily identified despite his best efforts to blend in and look like a typical shirtless fan of any other country?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    I wonder how the poor shirtless German supporting fan happened to find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time and was so easily identified despite his best efforts to blend in and look like a typical shirtless fan of any other country?

Well singing 'Englantz going home' didn't help.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just the media trying to cause trouble and searching for something to write about.. :yawn:
  • BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their not hooligans, their hooligeeks.

Prolly all turned their bluetooth on all at once to "sort out the Hun".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doc Shmok wrote: »
    Just the media trying to cause trouble and searching for something to write about.. :yawn:

They do try to hype up this supposed rivalry, everyone knows you consider the Dutch to be far bigger rivals.

EDIT: And that English of my age who remember 82 and 86 consider Argentina far bigger rivals than Germany, and most will be supporting you in this match.
  • joe-blogs99joe-blogs99 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hardcore :eek:

those english fairy hooligans wanna do a tour of afghanistan, they would shit their pants
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's a good reflection on how much better behaved England fans are on the whole, and how the troublemakers are prevented from leaving the country. I think club football is where it might start getting bad again.
  • joe-blogs99joe-blogs99 Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    , and how the troublemakers are prevented from leaving the country.

this was in leicester square
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There you go then, they were prevented from leaving the country and had to kick off on a square of Monopoly board.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I know, my point was that the only trouble was from a few numpties in Leicester Square,.
    Forum Member
    Yes I know, my point was that the only trouble was from a few numpties in Leicester Square,.

No, you haven't read the full article... this violence flared across the World, from Leicester Square right the way across to Australia, as demonstrated by the graphic and unsettling image of a pub in Melbourne.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, you haven't read the full article... this violence flared across the World, from Leicester Square right the way across to Australia, as demonstrated by the graphic and unsettling image of a pub in Melbourne.

LOL :D
  • timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Somebody posted on here that a pub was trashed in, IIRC, Leeds during the USA game cause the pub they were in missed the goal as it was on ITV1 HD so it isn't just London where there has been trouble.

England fans kicking off in England is what we've come to expect whenever you get knocked out of a tournament.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That looked more like the guy in the denim jeans had been served Fosters when he'd asked for Castlemaine XXXX They bartender pointed out they don't serve Fosters in Austalia and all hell broke lose as they realised somebody had dropped their bottle top on the floor.
    Forum Member
    timboy wrote: »
    England fans kicking off in England is what we've come to expect whenever you get knocked out of a tournament.

I think a more accurate statement would be English (and Scottish, Welsh and Irish) people kicking off in England (or Scotland, Wales or Ireland) is what we've come to expect whenever they've had more drink than they know how to handle.

There has been no reports of any 'old school hooliganism', just because an unidentified person described it as such on their twitter account doesn't make it so. I'm quite sure there was just as much drunken trouble this time last month and, sadly, I'm quite positive there will be just as much this time next month.

Someone glassed someone in my local Hogshead a couple of weeks back while the T20 cricket was on, I don't think it was a sad reflection on the state of cricket hooliganism though!!!
    Forum Member
    That looked more like the guy in the denim jeans had been served Fosters when he'd asked for Castlemaine XXXX They bartender pointed out they don't serve Fosters in Austalia and all hell broke lose as they realised somebody had dropped their bottle top on the floor.

I heard a twitter rumour from someone who was in the pub at the time that the English bloke was actually just spreading the virtues of Churchill Insurance but got into an argument with some Sheila's Wheels representatives. Still not excusable mind you, but it would have been nice if the Daily Mail could have printed the full story.