Why are there so many negative threads?

kellygirlkellygirl Posts: 482
Forum Member
It just puzzles me. I don't post on loads of threads because I don't like or watch the programmes they concern. I get that some people may become disenchanted with a programme and state their case but it seems the negativity on this forum seems disproportionate

For the record,I love The Voice, so do most people I know

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    see my reply below
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last week I started "The Positive Thread for The Voice". Come join us and feel surrounded by the pure positiveness of it all!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Probably because a lot of people don't like the show.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

So why keep watching it? Do they really have nothing better to do with their time? They have PC's could they not play games, trawl the internet for things they do like? They could turn the TV to a different channel. They could even meet with family and/or friends and go out.

But why sit there forcing yourself to watch something they clearly dislike. I really don't understand that mentality. I hate Soaps, I even hate Doctor Who so I don't watch them, nevermind going on to forums to tell anyone who cares that I loathe them. :confused:
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kellygirl wrote: »
    It just puzzles me. I don't post on loads of threads because I don't like or watch the programmes they concern. I get that some people may become disenchanted with a programme and state their case but it seems the negativity on this forum seems disproportionate

I think it's proportionate to the number of people who were looking forward to a singing competition that was about the voice instead of about the judges, looks and staging and are now really disappointed that The Voice looks like a low budget X Factor.
  • iluvdanniiiluvdannii Posts: 3,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daewos wrote: »
    So why keep watching it? Do they really have nothing better to do with their time? They have PC's could they not play games, trawl the internet for things they do like? They could turn the TV to a different channel. They could even meet with family and/or friends and go out.

But why sit there forcing yourself to watch something they clearly dislike. I really don't understand that mentality. I hate Soaps, I even hate Doctor Who so I don't watch them, nevermind going on to forums to tell anyone who cares that I loathe them. :confused:

Exactly!! I find Strictly boring and have only ever a watched a couple episodes to try and get into, never enjoyed it so don't watch! however people on this forum are supposedly 'hating' it but then still watch it and come on here to discuss it and slag it off with so much passion! it's bizarre glad I don't have the time or energy to be doing that!
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,527
    Forum Member
    It is the DS way to continually put a show down and then a couple of years down the line herald the series as the best ever.

Its funny - Series 5 of the XF is considfered to be the best year, last year a thread was resurrected from one of the live shows of that series with so many people branding it awful it was unreal.

People just need to get a little perspective to be honest. This is the BBC's first run with the programme and off course some things wont work/ wont translate onto UK screens.

Series 2 I can see being tweaked - especially the format of the lives
  • maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kellygirl wrote: »

I know exactly what you mean. People I know who watch it are very enthusiastic about it and they all love it. Then I come on here and it's depressing. Some people seem to hate it but watch all through so they can keep finding things to moan about. They can't find a single thing they like about it and, like you, I don't understand why they keep watching if they hate it so much. I would give up after 10 minutes if I thought a show was "abysmal".

Normally I don't watch BBC or ITV on Saturdays but always find something on another channel, or on PVR or watch a DVD. It's great to have something entertaining now on a Saturday night. So far I've loved every show and I'm particularly looking forward to next week's with Danny and Jessie's teams.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are few things which certainly need fixing and sorting out but I do get the impression some are enjoying The Voices ratings tumble just a little bit too much. Which ends up giving off the impression its all a ''my show is better than your show'' battle like we see on this forum from time to time.

Constructive criticism should always be welcomed. Repeat threads by the same users over and over about how crap things are don't really fit into that bracket in my opinion and I do agree that it is this what is stopping me from coming into this forum as much as I would like to. I'm enjoying the show. Sure some things could be better, for one I would like to see Danny's team more so hate this two week wait thing, but thats all part of a new show being launched.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's proportionate to the number of people who were looking forward to a singing competition that was about the voice instead of about the judges, looks and staging and are now really disappointed that The Voice looks like a low budget X Factor.

^^^ this, exactly. What I find amazing that there seem to be more threads negative or positive about whether it's better/worse than XF, BGT etc and relatively few about the show itself. Strange. :confused:
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A perfect description. Coming soon to a town hall near you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member

This :D
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member

I really don't get this logic that some seemingly very negative people have.

Take for example, Doctor Who. A show I will probably never like. It doesn't appeal to me. I won't watch it. I wouldn't then go on to the Doctor Who threads and talk about how poor a show it is, that I don't like Matt Smith or David Tenant, that I am outraged that TV licence money is funding this show etc. There is a plethora of other things that people should be doing other than talking about shows they claim to not like. It is rather bizarre behaviour.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »

Take for example, Doctor Who. A show I will probably never like. It doesn't appeal to me. I won't watch it. I wouldn't then go on to the Doctor Who threads and talk about how poor a show it is, that I don't like Matt Smith or David Tenant, that I am outraged that TV licence money is funding this show etc. There is a plethora of other things that people should be doing other than talking about shows they claim to not like. It is rather bizarre behaviour.

So, to follow your logic, nobody should ever post at all unless they want to produce rave reviews!? These boards would collapse with boredom within a week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member

Is it so wrong to WANT and HOPE to like the show? Among the various flaws the show has plenty potential and each week many of us tune in, perhaps over-optimistically expecting some tweeks. It's disappointment mate, not hate (this obviously doesn't apply to every single critical thread before you answer back with some 'X Factor is better' example).
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    So, to follow your logic, nobody should ever post at all unless they want to produce rave reviews!? These boards would collapse with boredom within a week.

No. If I didn't like a show, I wouldn't watch it and certainly wouldn't comment on it. It's fair enough on shows such as The Voice to comment on aspects of the show that you don't like, but there is so much negativity on this forum about the whole show in general which does make you wonder why someone would watch it.

Personally, I'm a fan of The Voice. Yes it has certain flaws, the main one being the format on reaching the live shows for me, but I just think that there are so many more positive aspects, mainly the talent, that aren't celebrated enough. I guess it's human nature to focus on the negative though :(
  • lovelylissalovelylissa Posts: 1,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. If I didn't like a show, I wouldn't watch it and certainly wouldn't comment on it. It's fair enough on shows such as The Voice to comment on aspects of the show that you don't like, but there is so much negativity on this forum about the whole show in general which does make you wonder why someone would watch it.

Personally, I'm a fan of The Voice. Yes it has certain flaws, the main one being the format on reaching the live shows for me, but I just think that there are so many more positive aspects, mainly the talent, that aren't celebrated enough. I guess it's human nature to focus on the negative though :(

^^This. Don't understand why people are taking so much time to come on the boards purposely to create negative threads. Ok, a spirited discussion and weighing up of pros and cons is fine, but some people never seem to leave and just keep creating negative threads. If you don't like it THAT much, don't waste your time on it!
  • ozjohnozjohn Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    1 Because the BBC spent months promoting this show as something special and somehow superior to the likes of X Factor and BGT, yet ever since it's started it has been a complete disaster.

2 The mentors have no chemistry together and all they can do is parrot out "you made this song your own" or "you flipped it" after every song.

3 William (if he can't be arsed then neither can I with his affectation) can't even speak the English language.

4 The blatant bias towards Jaz that gets more obnoxious and disgusting with every week.

That's just 4 reasons for starters ...... you did ask:rolleyes:
  • AMS13AMS13 Posts: 1,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would not surprise me if most of the comments come from PR companies in order to try and make or brake an artist/programme. May be wrong, but there are so many patterns of threads that speak volumes.
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    AMS13 wrote: »
    It would not surprise me if most of the comments come from PR companies in order to try and make or brake an artist/programme. May be wrong, but there are so many patterns of threads that speak volumes.

That's what I've been thinking, there's after all a lot of money going on and competition to get the viewers.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Socha wrote: »
    That's what I've been thinking, there's after all a lot of money going on and competition to get the viewers.

I'm sure a recall a theory on the X Factor forum a few years ago with users claiming producers from the show were posting on the forum to try and make it look like certain contestants were more popular than others!!! but I think that is all it was.

Saying that you never know!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very strange that people who have described it as abysmal, tedious, with dreadful contestants and coaches and cringeworthy moments, in dozens of posts slating The Voice and have said they wouldn't watch it again, are still posting negative posts. It seems that they hated it and are trying to persuade others to hate it. Weird.
  • BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    I find it very strange that people who have described it as abysmal, tedious, with dreadful contestants and coaches and cringeworthy moments, in dozens of posts slating The Voice and have said they wouldn't watch it again, are still posting negative posts. It seems that they hated it and are trying to persuade others to hate it. Weird.

You need to drop the persecution complex.

As for abysmal, yes Saturday night's episode was for me as I won't be putting myself through it again. Also that was one of only two threads I have started here, and seeing as it was posted after the show had ended and it got disastrous ratings I think the public are making their mind up without the DS forum or whatever is posted on it.

The current discussion is in the ratings thread because like it or not a show that is losing millions of viewers each week, and half it's entire viewers from the start, is an interesting subject why. Especially when the flaws in the format were so obvious, and need to be fixed which we've also been discussing.

The BBC bought a very expensive programme just for weekend ratings, with clear flaws, and with our money basically. It's not working so expect it to be talked about.
  • BeeBumbleBeeBumble Posts: 5,925
    Forum Member
    Go on any DS forum and you'll it's mostly people being negative. People just like a moan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bananafish wrote: »
    You need to drop the persecution complex.

As for abysmal, yes Saturday night's episode was for me as I won't be putting myself through it again. Also that was one of only two threads I have started here, and seeing as it was posted after the show had ended and it got disastrous ratings I think the public are making their mind up without the DS forum or whatever is posted on it.

The current discussion is in the ratings thread because like it or not a show that is losing millions of viewers each week, and half it's entire viewers from the start, is an interesting subject why. Especially when the flaws in the format were so obvious, and need to be fixed which we've also been discussing.

The BBC bought a very expensive programme just for weekend ratings, with clear flaws, and with our money basically. It's not working so expect it to be talked about.

You may have only started two negative threads but you have made dozens of posts slating the show and everyone in it both during the show and after. That's your prerogative to post criticism as much as you like but as you've never found anything to like about The Voice I still can't understand how you can sit through an hour and a half of an abysmal show. I would have switched off after 10 minutes if I watched a show as bad as you describe.

Some of us actually like the show and are enjoying it. Everyone I know outside of DS who watch it loves the show. We've all got different tastes. However it's depressing on here when there's so much negativity.