Options

scratch card con?

Comments

• Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Did they never teach you probabilities in school?

my teacher was to busy supping vodka,but despite that I consider myself of average intelligence.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do scratch card operators ensure winning cards are genuinely distributed randomly across the country?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    When i sold the lottery there was 200 cards in a pack and 40 of them were guaranteed to be winners now that could just be £40 return on £200 or you could hit the pack with perhaps 3 of the top prizes in it as to check the card you need the 4 digit number thats hidden under the scratch bit so is very easy to notice if someones trying to sell dodgy tickets

so to get my 1 in 4.5 I would need to buy 200 cards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tnt wrote: »
    Do scratch card operators ensure winning cards are genuinely distributed randomly across the country?

well they must have something against this part of the world because I've not heard of anyone winning.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    well they must have something against this part of the world because I've not heard of anyone winning.

Most people keep quiet about winning a few grand or so, we had a few semi big winners who told us they'd won but for a lot of people i'd imagine a 10k win would just be new car or clear a load of debt and then they just carry on as if nothing really happened

But obviously camelot know where every ticket is shipped to and quite a lot of prizes are not claimed either due to packs being returned at the end of its run or people not checking them properly (but i always double checked every ticket in the bin just in case of an extra few quid :D )

and couriers can't nick the packs as they have to be scanned in on arrival and then when each pack is opened it needs to be activated as well so even if you nick a load of them from a shop camelot can make them worthless in a few moments

but do they still print the odds on the back of the cards? and if so the probability should add up to about 22.2% to make a 1 in 4.5 card chance
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bugloss wrote: »
    obviously with people buying cards in ones and twos the sequence has got out of order
    you'll find that even with the "1 in 5" thing you need to buy nine, to be absolutely sure of winning

trust me

work it out with a pen and paper if you don't believe it

Simply not true.

After 9 cards at "1 in 5" the odds on winning at least once are 0.866 but the odds of none winning are 0.134

You have to buy 20 cards to have over a 99% probability of getting at least one winner

It's called a "binomial distribution". Just as tossing a coin ten times doesn't guarantee you a single heads.
  • Options
    georgebarnesgeorgebarnes Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    They arent a con, its a gamble, a safer one than say £1 a spin fruit machines. Pay your pound, scratch, if you win happy days, if you dont then just look at it as an investment. Its what i do when i play fruitys and stuff, set a limit, you may get lucky, if not walk away.

Easier said than done though.

I dont agree its a fools game though. This woman i know won a quater of a million on a deal or no deal scratchcard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Simply not true.

After 9 cards at "1 in 5" the odds on winning at least once are 0.866 but the odds of none winning are 0.134

You have to buy 20 cards to have over a 99% probability of getting at least one winner

It's called a "binomial distribution". Just as tossing a coin ten times doesn't guarantee you a single heads.

what I said was both completely true and also total bollocks, which, since we're talking maths, <edit>

if a roll of cards contains literally 1 in 5 winners, that is 1 in every 5 cards on the roll starting from the beginning, then buying 5 will give you 1 winner

take out any number not a multiple of 5, and it goes wrong

buying 5 cards will give you 0,1 or 2 wins

to guarantee 1 win, you need to buy 9

true, but bollocks
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They arent a con, its a gamble, a safer one than say £1 a spin fruit machines. Pay your pound, scratch, if you win happy days, if you dont then just look at it as an investment. Its what i do when i play fruitys and stuff, set a limit, you may get lucky, if not walk away.

I dont agree its a fools game though. This woman i know won a quater of a million on a deal or no deal scratchcard.

100% ......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just had a look at https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/i/files/scratchcard/bullseye.pdf which details the odds for the bullseye game

34+ million tickets with a payout of 58% meaning that theres 20 million quid to be won overall with the odds of 2.86 million to 1 to get one of the top prizes of 5 grand

but all the numbers are there for anyone willing to spend a few moments with a calculator to work out the odds

and heres the list to the details for all the current games https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/scratchcard/info_prizes.ftl
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what I said was both completely true and also total bollocks, which, since we're talking maths, <edit>

if a roll of cards contains literally 1 in 5 winners, that is 1 in every 5 cards on the roll starting from the beginning, then buying 5 will give you 1 winner

take out any number not a multiple of 5, and it goes wrong

buying 5 cards will give you 0,1 or 2 wins

to guarantee 1 win, you need to buy 9

true, but bollocks

Ah - I get your point if the winner is regularly placed on the roll but your accumulation falls down when the distribution is random. I really can't see Camelot producing cards where, literally, every 5th card is a winner as it would be too easy to beat the system.
  • Options
    HaloJoeHaloJoe Posts: 13,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I rarely buy Scratch Cards tbh, although every birthday i seem to get a least one in a card. I don't think i've ever won!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so to get my 1 in 4.5 I would need to buy 200 cards.

You need to learn some basic probability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

that must have been a dream for her.i like to imagine the winners are struggling hard workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah - I get your point if the winner is regularly placed on the roll but your accumulation falls down when the distribution is random. I really can't see Camelot producing cards where, literally, every 5th card is a winner as it would be too easy to beat the system.

no, not every 5th card is a winner, randomly distributed among every 5 cards........(see how fiendishly clever they are?)

if everyone bought 5, Camelot would go bust!!! They're relying on some poor sod going in who can only afford to buy 1, and it screws up the system.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You need to learn some basic probability.

ha ha of course your right,this thread is helping teach me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strictly speaking, simple probability doesn't quite apply, since the numbers or symbols on the cards aren't randomly chosen
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Not that suspicious... if more than twenty people bought 12 cards each, then you could safely assume it would happen to at least one of them. It wouldn't be suspicious.

That's why I said that if a single person bought 12 cards and didn't win, that it would be a bit suspicious. :P
    strictly speaking, simple probability doesn't quite apply, since the numbers or symbols on the cards aren't randomly chosen

In which way are they selected so that the probability of a randomly purchased scratch card being a winner isn't equal with all other cards?
  • Options
    talentedmonkeytalentedmonkey Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's the point of winning a pound.

The point is that its a way to increase the percentage of winning cards without really loosing any money. Print 30 million tickets 6 million £1 prizes bumps the odds up to look rather favourablly as its now already 5:1 in your favour to win,=now with extra prizes, the odds you win a prize is less then even better at something like 4.6:1

However when you look at the odds of winning even just a fiver, then you may weep. Have you looked at the odds structure on the back of the card? View them online https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/scratchcard/info_prizes.ftl

EDIT:
    Meh i see i was late in posting this and people have already given this link etc.
  • Options
    NickelbackNickelback Posts: 23,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I buy them occasionally instead of doing lotto, Recently won £40 twice and a tenner,and a fiver all on scrabble scratch cards...I've won more than i've done doing the lotto..:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The point is that its a way to increase the percentage of winning cards without really loosing any money. Print 30 million tickets 6 million £1 prizes bumps the odds up to look rather favourablly as its now already 5:1 in your favour to win,=now with extra prizes, the odds you win a prize is less then even better at something like 4.6:1

However when you look at the odds of winning even just a fiver, then you may weep. Have you looked at the odds structure on the back of the card? View them online https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/scratchcard/info_prizes.ftl

EDIT:
    Meh i see i was late in posting this and people have already given this link etc.

yeah they make fools of us.so I for one won't buy anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nickelback wrote: »
    I buy them occasionally instead of doing lotto, Recently won £40 twice and a tenner,and a fiver all on scrabble scratch cards...I've won more than i've done doing the lotto..:)

your only the second person all day to get a prize over £10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WinterFire wrote: »
    In which way are they selected so that the probability of a randomly purchased scratch card being a winner isn't equal with all other cards?
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    When i sold the lottery there was 200 cards in a pack and 40 of them were guaranteed to be winners now that could just be £40 return on £200 or you could hit the pack with perhaps 3 of the top prizes in it as to check the card you need the 4 digit number thats hidden under the scratch bit so is very easy to notice if someones trying to sell dodgy tickets

this kind of thing. it's not a fiddle, it's just not like throwing a dice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While the odds of getting a ticket are 1 in 5 theres nothing that says every block of 5 must have a winner, had some guy once who brought 20 tickets in a line and didn't win a thing so they are spread out through the pack at random

Now if you really want to increase your chances get friendly with someone who has access to the lottery databases and can do a quick bit of IT magic and give you all the winning ticket numbers for your local shop and then visit and profit
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iv bought scratchcards regularly over the years, usually two to three a week and occasionally go a bit mad at Christmas etc. Its curious that Iv won more just buying two or three. I thought Id won twenty on a Lucky Lines card recently took it in and it turned out to be £100.00. (I still dont know how I missed it but you have to be careful on some of the cards).The odds on winning that prize are 3000:1approx so you have to be lucky -its over 4 million to one to win the top 300,000 prize.

For anyone interested this is the National Lottery page listing the remaining prizes for each card-odds can be viewed by clicking the named areas.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/help/scratchcard/info_prizes.ftl