Options

Children's names

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There was a thread on here about the weird or unusual names people call their children but I can't find it.

I heard today of a boy called Cobain after Kurt Cobain. I can't believe anybody would name their child after a drug addict popstar who committed suicide.

Comments

• Options
    UffaUffa Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine had a baby girl 2 weeks ago. She called her Millie. I knew a man called Cobbie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There was a thread on here about the weird or unusual names people call their children but I can't find it.

I heard today of a boy called Cobain after Kurt Cobain. I can't believe anybody would name their child after a drug addict popstar who committed suicide.

This one?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1902926&highlight=names
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a news story in the last day or two on the floods and there was a kid in it called Anakin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Girl at work has a daughter called Tarragon :confused:
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    A friend of mine had a baby girl 2 weeks ago. She called her Millie.

That's not a weird name! :o
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just waiting for some earth mother to deviate from say Willow and name her child Privet or Nettle:)
  • Options
    AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once came across two brothers called Cobweb and Moth. They were apparently named after the fairies in A Midsummer Night's Dream. Good thing there weren't any more children in the family as they would have ended up being Peaseblossem and Mustardseed. :o
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »

If you read the article, it actually makes sense why he chose this name for her as it was a symbol of the revolution in Egypt. A better reason for choosing a name than some I can think of.
  • Options
    slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    I have a few relatives with odd names

Kurtain, Cornelius, Aloysius, Trevor :D and Davine

Ohh I forgot Zachariah
  • Options
    RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girth wrote: »
    I saw a news story in the last day or two on the floods and there was a kid in it called Anakin.

I saw that - poor kid.
  • Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RyJa wrote: »
    I saw that - poor kid.
    Thank god for that, I was beginning to think I had dreamed it.

Poor kid, though, agreed. They should have called him Palpatine.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard one parent in my local park call their child by the name Honda, an American lady with a particularly loud voice in the park had a boy called Tad, no not Tod, yes really Tad, as in 'it's a tad small'. Best wierd name I heard was Versace, as in the fashion designer, at a local indoor play centre.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's wrong with Millie? It's not as bad as the person I heard at lunchtime telling off their kid, who they called Kanye (presumably after Kanye West).
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girth wrote: »

I encountered an Anakin in Sheffield last week. He was running round John Lewis and shrieking, and his parents stood at the other side of haberdashery and just shrieked ANAKIN! STOPPIT ANAKIN! at him repeatedly.

I met a teenage boy called Chevron the other day.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard one parent in my local park call their child by the name Honda, an American lady with a particularly loud voice in the park had a boy called Tad, no not Tod, yes really Tad, as in 'it's a tad small'. Best wierd name I heard was Versace, as in the fashion designer, at a local indoor play centre.

There used to be a Tad in Neighbours, it was a nickname, short for Tadpole.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    There used to be a Tad in Neighbours, it was a nickname, short for Tadpole.

Bloody Neighbours has got a lot to answer for, responsible for an explosion of little Kylies in the late 80's, early 90's.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uffa wrote: »
    A friend of mine had a baby girl 2 weeks ago. She called her Millie. I knew a man called Cobbie.

Millie is not odd at all ???
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Kurt would have hated you for calling him that :p

Frank Zappa gave his kids some insane names

'Moon Unit', and 'Dweezil' for example :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I know a guy called Twinsen and apparently theres a lady at my Uni called Princess.

I love the name Iden for a man (pronounced eye-den).
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Must be an American thing because I'm sure I've known more than one Tad in my time. It doesn't sound strange to me at all.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tad is short fot Thaddeus and not that unusual at all
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    My sister has a middle name of Medrina.

My Dad worked in the market and saw the name on a box of tomatoes.
  • Options
    LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I know of a little girl called Cotton. Also a boy called Hendrix...but I quite like that.