The Leftovers - Season 1 - US Pace (spoilers)

LMLM Posts: 63,495
Forum Member
✭✭
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_%28TV_series%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shn1mPejr_4

2% of the population just vanish. The ones left behind, become known as The Leftovers. The show premieres on the 29th June.

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bump:)
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw the "what's it all about" preview (not the pilot) introduction show and am kinda intreged. (or would be if I could spell intreged correctly)
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Still a bit early to open a thread for this. I am looking forward to it, sure, but nothing can be said about it till we see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Still a bit early to open a thread for this. I am looking forward to it, sure, but nothing can be said about it till we see it.

It premieres in less than 4 days
    I don't see how that is early

There have been several threads on several other shows in the past which have been discussed at great length, even several months before airing. E.g The Flash, Better Call Saul

Bit of a silly nitpick to be honest
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Saw the "what's it all about" preview (not the pilot) introduction show and am kinda intreged. (or would be if I could spell intreged correctly)

I think it's intrigued, if that helps
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the first few seconds of the trailer I was intrigued.

The I saw the name "Lindelof" and got wary. Then read a little more, and the subject matter is (at least for me) deeply wrong, as I have absolutely no belief in that sort of thing.

It could still be interesting, but I half expect it to be tedious, slow and quite ridiculously boring.
    Forum Member

There have been several threads on several other shows in the past which have been discussed at great length, even several months before airing. E.g The Flash, Better Call Saul

Bit of a silly nitpick to be honest

You can't see the relevant difference between The Leftovers and The Flash and Better Call Saul? There is a huge preexisting fanbase of comic fans and Arrow fans to discuss The Flash, and those people will have a good idea of what they will be getting. Better Call Saul is in a similar situation because it is a prequel to the popular Breaking Bad. We know very little about The Leftovers right now, there is no preexisting fanbase for it (outside of a small group of readers of the novel), and I think the audience for it is going to be something of a narrow one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't see the relevant difference between The Leftovers and The Flash and Better Call Saul? There is a huge preexisting fanbase of comic fans and Arrow fans to discuss The Flash, and those people will have a good idea of what they will be getting. Better Call Saul is in a similar situation because it is a prequel to the popular Breaking Bad. We know very little about The Leftovers right now, there is no preexisting fanbase for it (outside of a small group of readers of the novel), and I think the audience for it is going to be something of a narrow one.

Ok, not the best examples i used but that still doesn't mean I am not entitled to open a thread a few days before it's premiere. I don't see why you have an issue with that and were quick to make a bitchy remark about it. I remember threads about Penny dreadful prior to it's premiere and I don't re call you have a problem with that. I also remember threads for Halt and Catch fire as well. Clearly it's a personal thing towards me but whatever. It was just a catty remark on your part. Don't say one thing about one thread but never remark the same thing about other threads when created in advance.
    Forum Member
    Ok, not the best examples i used but that still doesn't mean I am not entitled to open a thread a few days before it's premiere. I don't see why you have an issue with that and were quick to make a bitchy remark about it. I remember threads about Penny dreadful prior to it's premiere and I don't re call you have a problem with that. I also remember threads for Halt and Catch fire as well. Clearly it's a personal thing towards me but whatever. It was just a catty remark on your part. Don't say one thing about one thread but never remark the same thing about other threads when created in advance.

A "personal thing towards you?" You know, there are a couple of posters at DS I actively dislike. You are not one of them. Not even close. But I have noticed, over time, that you have accused a number of different people of attacking you when they clearly weren't doing anything more than disagreeing with you. Nobody is out to get you, and it is a shame that you think otherwise. Just the fact that you called my original post in this thread "bitchy" is utterly amazing.
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm interested to see what the pilot is like. The concept of the show does interest me. Could be very good if executed right. Mind you, I always go in with a sense of optimism with sci-fi pilots and come out somewhat disappointed these days.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wondering if it is going to be a cross between 'The After' and 'Rapture-Palooza'.

Personally I prefer 'The After'.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not too bad a start. A little slow and ponderous but I'm not saying that is a bad thing.

Still worry that we will have to put up with human foibles rather than whatever the real mystery is, like in Resurrection.

Yes, a lot of people have gone missing (presumably because of the Rapture), so what do some people do?

They wear white, smoke and follow people around. rolleyes..
    Forum Member
    After one episode, I am somewhat on the fence about this one. I was bored for much of the pilot, but I thought it ended well -- well enough for me to not want to give up on it just yet. I will give it at least a couple of more episodes.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to this when it airs on Sky Atlantic in Autumn.

Ep2 is better than the pilot and apparently Ep3 is a blinder and the one that sucks you in. Ep3 is also the one that focuses on Christopher Ecclestone's character.

I say give it 4 episodes and then you'll know whether you're in or out for the rest of the series.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    After one episode, I am somewhat on the fence about this one. I was bored for much of the pilot, but I thought it ended well -- well enough for me to not want to give up on it just yet. I will give it at least a couple of more episodes.

Yes, I know what you mean. It's one of those shows, perhaps like The Wire, where it's hard to see what's going on right at the beginning, or the directions the story will take. Hopefully, like that show, it will turn into something really worth sticking with.
  • Hampton WickHampton Wick Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely another 'on the fence' viewer here. The first episode didn't really draw me in or make me think that it's a 'must see'.

Apparently they won't ever go into whatever actually happened to make all the people disappear, which is a major shortcoming IMO. I know that they never got into what caused the Zombie plague in The Walking Dead but as a viewer you could kind of roll with it given that Zombies were a well established genre.

Expecting viewers to just accept that 2% of the global population vanished into thin air simultaneously without ever getting into it in any more detail isn't going to fly.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't quite what I expected, a little slow and a little WTF in the places. However it has my curiosity peaked so I shall be watching the next episode to see where it goes from here.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally, I like having my attention brought to new shows on here before they air as I don't look at network's sites or watch ads etc so find most new shows listed on here, or I see one on here and then check the YouTube trailer which suggests other trailers, so I'm thankful for these threads :)

A little confused by the actual show and like I always do (although I got slaughtered for it in another thread) will give it 3 to 4 episodes. It does all seem a bit depressing and somehow odd to air over the summer. That there are no answers to what actually happened but it's about the 'Leftovers' literally and how they carry on?

Anyway, will stick with it for now but suspect it may not be for me.
    Forum Member
    Expecting viewers to just accept that 2% of the global population vanished into thin air simultaneously without ever getting into it in any more detail isn't going to fly.

Yes. Even Lost eventually explained most of what happened. Some peeps didn't like that explanation, but I loved it.

Not bothering to write an explanation puts me in mind of the way we're all supposed to accept things just because a scientist tells us it's so. For example, scientists told us that taking thalidomide was a good idea. Also, from a far wider perspective, scientists bandy about the Big Bang theory for the origin of the universe, telling us that this was fueled by ambient energy... but no one can tell us where that came from! So like Leftovers, we're asked just to accept and believe, in this case a reversal of something coming from nothing, where something (the people) become nothing.
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1hr:11 mins I'll never get back, not for me I'm afraid. :confused:
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got around to watching this. It's an okay pilot. Not spectacular, but not terrible either. Anyone coming into this expecting for a thrill-ride of action and drama will be disappointed. It's a slow, quiet show like many of HBO's dramas. In terms of the quality of the pilot, there were some shining moments in the episode, but a lot of it was just angst overkill served up by the main character Kevin Garvey and his daughter which I didn't particularly enjoy. The depressing tone is unrelenting which doesn't leave room for much humour or much of anything.

Garvey and the teenage emo living with him are the most miserable people on the show.... And they didn't even lose ANY loved ones in the Sudden Departure! How are we meant to sympathise with the Garveys and their melodramatic family issues in comparison to people who lost their whole families in the disappearence? Like Nora Durst for example (the woman who gave the speech)? I couldn't sympathise with the Garveys at all for that reason.

Do any of us really care that Garvey's wife abandoned her family and is now a member of the Guilty Remnant? I don't think it worked as a twist/reveal. As viewers, we haven't invested in Garvey or his daughter long enough to even care about such melodrama in their lives. The writers would've been better off telling us about the identity of Garvey's runaway wife from the off, rather than delaying it in order to shock viewers down the line. It was hard to care when there are people who had suffered real loss in comparison to them.

That said, I did like the Guilty Remnant - most of the pilot's shining moments that I spoke of earlier came from them. They are deliciously creepy and they intrigue me very much. I like how they stalk people in total silence whilst dressed in those funny white clothes :D. And I love that their only form of communication is done via a notepad and pen :D. They are by far the best thing about the show and quite unique.

We also learn Garvey has a son who's joined up with some mysterious armed group led by a oddball 'prophet' named Wayne (what is it with the Garveys and cults?). These scenes, along with the Guilty Remnant scenes, interested me the most. Wayne claims to see visions of his departed son who basically told him that some big apocalyptic sh*t is going to go down soon, which seemed to be obvious foreshadowing from the writers. It seems the Departure was just the beginning - and something bigger is coming. At least that's the message I took from it. Maybe the real REAL Rapture will happen this time? Maybe the Departure was just a dry run? :o

As for the rabid dogs, that seemed to be another obvious foreshadowing from the writers pointing to how humans will slowly start turning more primal in the post-Departure world. It was a nice little subplot. I liked it as it seemed to be pointing in the same direction as Wayne's 'vision'.

So, all in all, the potential is there. The raw ingredients are there for a cool story. But there's still a lot of rough patches to iron out. The Garveys are a weak link in my view, but hopefully they can grow into good characters.
  • welshblobwelshblob Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite liked it so I'm sticking with it. Reminded me of the tone / melancholy of Donnie Darko or Les Revenants and will be interesting to see where it goes. I just hope they stop killing animals !
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A little confused by the actual show and like I always do (although I got slaughtered for it in another thread) will give it 3 to 4 episodes. It does all seem a bit depressing and somehow odd to air over the summer. That there are no answers to what actually happened but it's about the 'Leftovers' literally and how they carry on?

I hate to say this for those that are coming to this show thinking that it's something else and expecting there to be sci-fi, action, thrills and spills but BIB genuinely is the whole premise of the show. It really is about the 'leftovers' and how they carry on with their lives. If you want answers then it won't be there, this isn't that kind of show. It's all about drama and tragedy and conflict and relationships and this series is exactly that. This is HBO. Everyone knows their pedigree.

I think comparing it to the style of The Returned aka Les Revenants will get you on the right path.
    Forum Member
    It occurred to me that Leftovers reminded me on an action/ explanation free show in a the style of 'The After' a show which broadcast its pilot earlier this year. Still waiting for the full series, but it has been comissioned.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3219792/

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazon-Alpha-House-1079824.aspx
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It occurred to me that Leftovers reminded me on an action/ explanation free show in a the style of 'The After' a show which broadcast its pilot earlier this year. Still waiting for the full series, but it has been comissioned.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3219792/

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Amazon-Alpha-House-1079824.aspx

I enjoyed both pilots and will be watching the leftovers religiously.

I did hear that the after did get picked up for a full season