Options

Grievance in the workplace

Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
Forum Member
✭✭
If you feel you are being bullied and victimised in the workplace by a manager (or indeed anyone), how much weight is seriously (or even legally) given to a diary of events if presented as evidence?

I have experience of this in the public sector, but the question has been asked of me by a friend in the private sector who I have just advised to keep a diary.

ETA. He has been working for the company less than two years

Comments

• Options
    EterniaEternia Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    It can only help I would've thought.

Do they have any sort of employee assistance in place? For example, I had access to free legal advice etc.

They could also contact ACAS for any clarification.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternia wrote: »
    It can only help I would've thought.

Do they have any sort of employee assistance in place. For example, I had access to free legal advice etc.

They could also contact ACAS for any clarification.

I don't know, from what he tells me, they treat employees pretty badly so I would think probably not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's a shame.

Not sure what else to say, apart from making sure their arse is covered as much as possible. Printing off any emails, making sure everything has a paper trail.

It's a horrible situation to be in. I have nothing but sympathy for your friend. I really would push them to contact ACAS, even for documentation purposes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eternia wrote: »
    That's a shame.

Not sure what else to say, apart from making sure their arse is covered as much as possible. Printing off any emails, making sure everything has a paper trail.

It's a horrible situation to be in. I have nothing but sympathy for your friend. I really would push them to contact ACAS, even for documentation purposes.

He sent me an email he received from the man, and I have to say that the language used in it is far from professional and really very intimidating.

Its the two year thing that I have a problem with, could they simply get rid if he makes a complaint?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ahh, the new change in employment law.

Lovely, I honestly have no idea. My knowledge, both professional and personal, is from prior to the change.

As daft as it sounds, I have always worked with a statement from my Dad. Always cover your own arse. Makes me sound like a paranoid nutbag but it always worked.

Sorry for digressing. I'm sure your mate wants as much info as possible, but the only advice I have is to contact ACAS. The email you mentioned sounds distressing and there is really no place in a working environment.

I know how soul-destroying this situation is and, may I say, your friend is lucky they have you for support.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    He sent me an email he received from the man, and I have to say that the language used in it is far from professional and really very intimidating.

Its the two year thing that I have a problem with, could they simply get rid if he makes a complaint?

I assume he's finished his probationary period? The employer would of course need to go through the correct formal procedure before releasing him from his position. Are you sure that the email given to you as evidence shows everything in context? It's easy to mis-interpret what's types on emails.

Just make sure he is aware of all the different options and avenues he can go through to make a complaint, whether it's HR, the bully/ies' own managers, or a union, or even the CAB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    I assume he's finished his probationary period? The employer would of course need to go through the correct formal procedure before releasing him from his position. Are you sure that the email given to you as evidence shows everything in context? It's easy to mis-interpret what's types on emails.

I believe he has finished his probationary period, he's been there over a year.

Put it this way, if this 'manager' sent emails like this in any of the organisations I have worked for, he wouldn't be a manager for long. Some of the diction and rhetoric used in the email is really awful, aggressive and frankly, laddish and immature.

The way I see it, no matter what the recipient is believed to have done or acted, no one deserves to be spoken the way this guy is speaking to him.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I believe he has finished his probationary period, he's been there over a year.

Put it this way, if this 'manager' sent emails like this in any of the organisations I have worked for, he wouldn't be a manager for long. Some of the diction and rhetoric used in the email is really awful, aggressive and frankly, laddish and immature.

The way I see it, no matter what the recipient is believed to have done or acted, no one deserves to be spoken the way this guy is speaking to him.
    Constructive dismissal?
    Any manager with half a brain cell would not commit a threat in writing but many do out of stupidity.
    I'd buy a cheap dictation recorder (Maplin) and have a meeting with the idiot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Constructive dismissal?
    Any manager with half a brain cell would not commit a threat in writing but many do out of stupidity.
    I'd buy a cheap dictation recorder (Maplin) and have a meeting with the idiot.

Can you go for CD before 2 years is up? I'm quite confused by all these new rules!