What's all the fuss with going abroad?

I am not keen traveller... does anyone else feel the same or am I the only one?

Not sure what to do to get out of the rut!

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would travel more if it were cheaper. I have a list of places I want to visit but can't afford to go to any of them.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some sun. this country is a bit depressing sometimes. I feel i need a holiday to recharge my batteries. Ive paid alot of money to go away in the UK for a week for it to do nothing but rain in july! I want guaranteed sun!
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    First, stop thinking its a fuss. It's not.

I travel a lot, and enjoy the whole experience.
  • linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the actual 'travelling' bit but I do like to visit a different American city every year. This year it will be Chicago.

Not at all bothered about sun/sand/beach holidays. I just find myself getting bored with sitting around in the sun all day.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoy the traveling, my holiday starts as soon as I wave bye bye to my bags at check in. Like many others I like to experience new places, cultures, food etc, and if it's my annual holiday I do like at least a reasonable guarantee of decent weather.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better weather? The opportunity to experience different cultures, food, sights, etc?
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New places.
    New people.
    New cultures.
    New sights.
    New food.
    New weather.

What's not to like?
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love exploring new places , seeing the history of Rome or Paris or Berlin or Dubrovnik is fascinating
    Driving down the coast of Croatia is quite awesome . I am so glad I can do that and then come back home to enjoy my own country too

I dont fuss , I just go
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no one to go with
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hank1234 wrote: »
    I have no one to go with

Me either :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no one to go with

There you are - you can go together :)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I have no one to go with

go alone, you get to do what you want without someone irritating you and meet some interesting people.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New places.
    New people.
    New cultures.
    New sights.
    New food.
    New weather.

What's not to like?

Packing and airports. If I could be magically beamed to my destination I'd be a very happy bunny.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many places to visit in the world, so little time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    So many places to visit in the world, so little time!

soulboy77 - can I ask why you picked that username? Or is that being cheeky? :blush:
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's a big world out there. Why not try and see as much of it while you can? I do think you should also know your own country too - a lot of people go abroad and never go anywhere in the UK.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Packing and airports. If I could be magically beamed to my destination I'd be a very happy bunny.

You blag a lift to the airport ;) I must have dropped and picked up my girlfriend from Manchester at least a dozen times, grr! :p

When I fly myself, I love it. I'm still like a giddy child at the thought of flying :D And airports can be quite good for shopping.
  • Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    go alone, you get to do what you want without someone irritating you and meet some interesting people.

I tried that once and found it difficult especially after a few days. If you're introverted it can be tough to meet people and going to restaurants alone is not a great experience when everyone else is enjoying themselves.

Hence I normally need to go with others, often compromising. I suppose organised group holidays are an option but always the risk you don't get on with others in the party.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it's a big world out there. Why not try and see as much of it while you can?

I can, by looking at pictures on the internet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I do wish I had the cojones to do that
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New places.
    New people.
    New cultures.
    New sights.
    New food.
    New weather.

What's not to like?

You have to get there first. And traveling by air is very, very stressful: arranging to get to the airport, getting up ridiculously early, worrying about missing a flight when stuck in traffic, finding a space in the giant, nearly full car park, at 5am waiting endlessly for the shuttle bus wondering if it's ever going to turn up (one eventually does, but drives past without stopping!).

At the airport, finding where you need to go, then finding massive queues for everything, even just buying coffee (and wondering why you need to dig out your boarding pass just for that!). Then waiting for gate numbers to be displayed, which involves staring at a screen because no announcement is made. And you haven't even boarded yet!

When you eventually make it abroad, the number one concern is keeping your passport safe (otherwise you might as well be on Mars for the chances you have of ever getting back), second is keeping hold of return tickets, credit cards, cash and mobile phone. Then trying to avoid getting ripped off with rental cars and accommodation and meals and ...

(Anyway, you get the idea.)
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moggio wrote: »

But they're just pictures. You don't get to experience the essence of the country or culture. To do that, try YouTube ;)
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    New places.
    New people.
    New cultures.
    New sights.
    New food.
    New weather.

What's not to like?

Dodgy creatures. Venomous spiders, scorpions, snakes, sharks, poisonous jellyfish, crocodiles, malaria mosquitoes, lions, tigers, hippos, bears etc.

Extreme weather/climate, like tornadoes, tsunamis, earthquakes, volcanoes etc.

Civil/political unrest, wars in various countries etc.

Countries which are not democratic or free, e.g. most of the Middle East, large parts of Asia and Africa.

Risk of kidnapping or torture.

Poor food hygiene.

Dodgy diseases and infections. Ebola being a case in point.

So, yes, what's not to like. Most of the above doesn't apply to the UK or Europe in general for example.

So, as an alternative to visiting some countries I can just switch on the TV or use the internet.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »

That is so sad :p
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Under Soul wrote: »
    I tried that once and found it difficult especially after a few days. If you're introverted it can be tough to meet people and going to restaurants alone is not a great experience when everyone else is enjoying themselves.

Hence I normally need to go with others, often compromising. I suppose organised group holidays are an option but always the risk you don't get on with others in the party.

i`m an introvert [apparently], i prefer to do things alone and other people`s company is usually the last thing i need or want, including eating out i guess it`s horses for courses.