Options

Business blocking Tottenham's new stadium is set on fire

Ryan_BestRyan_Best Posts: 45
Forum Member
With Tottenham stadium plans underway, there was only one building left in their way of going ahead of construction. Now today, that building was set on fire. Convenient? I think we all know something dodgy has happened here.

What i want to ask is will eventually this be investigated by the F.A or some other authority, even if not now, possibly in years to come. Will Tottenham be punished for this? And would it even be possible to punish them, and what punishment could they receive?

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fire-at-last-building-standing-in-the-way-of-new-tottenham-hotspur-stadium-9881415.html

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is clearly nothing to do with Spurs. If it's arson, and I hope it isn't, then the perpetrator should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

It's certainly not unheard of for a sheet metal factory to have some kind of accident that causes a fire though, so I certainly think that a full investigation needs to be carried out first.

I really do hope it's not any of the idiot element of our fans though. I know Archway have held everything up for ten years but even then, they don't deserve this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    As a gooner I would like to say it is really suspicious, however as Jason stated it could be fans or random people who are responsible. The owner of the building believes it is arson which either gives implications that he believes it is not an accident or that he is deflecting responsibility.

I personally think this should be investigated by the fire department and that the FA should stay out of this and stick to football and not crime related matters.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    Ryan_Best wrote: »
    With Tottenham stadium plans underway, there was only one building left in their way of going ahead of construction. Now today, that building was set on fire. Convenient? I think we all know something dodgy has happened here.

What i want to ask is will eventually this be investigated by the F.A or some other authority, even if not now, possibly in years to come. Will Tottenham be punished for this? And would it even be possible to punish them, and what punishment could they receive?

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/fire-at-last-building-standing-in-the-way-of-new-tottenham-hotspur-stadium-9881415.html

If and it's a huge, massive If, Tottenham are proven to have anything to do with it then they will be punished. But we don't even know it was arson yet for gods sake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If and it's a huge, massive If, Tottenham are proven to have anything to do with it then they will be punished. But we don't even know it was arson yet for gods sake.

It's an interesting hypothetical though, I must confess. If it was proven that someone at the club essentially "ordered" this, obviously they'd be arrested and prosecuted.

What would come of the club though ?. How far could the F.A. go in terms of punishment if it was proven that the club organised a criminal act ?.

I would have thought at the very least, they'd be kicked out of the Premier League.

Obviously for the sake of future google searches, this is a purely hypothetical question and I'm not for a minute suggesting it could be remotely true !
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,144
    Forum Member
    It's an interesting hypothetical though, I must confess. If it was proven that someone at the club essentially "ordered" this, obviously they'd be arrested and prosecuted.

What would come of the club though ?. How far could the F.A. go in terms of punishment if it was proven that the club organised a criminal act ?.

I would have thought at the very least, they'd be kicked out of the Premier League.

Obviously for the sake of future google searches, this is a purely hypothetical question and I'm not for a minute suggesting it could be remotely true !

It would be unprecedented, God knows what would happen.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here is an idea. Let the fire brigade (and then if they think it is arson) police investigate the incident.
  • Options
    Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Possible scenarios are:

1. Fire caused by some wiring fault

2.Arson by a numpty fan who wants the stadium expansion.

3. Arson as ordered by a club insider who bungs some cash to the local firebug.

4. The business arranges their own accident to maybe make the club look bad as they have been at odds with them and have had to take abuse from the Spurs fans who are lacking the odd brain cell.

All are viable but I would take option 3 and 4 out as the club would have too much to lose and no business man is going to torch his own company unless its all going wrong and the only way out is the insurance option.
    So that just leaves a accident or a fan with an axe to grind, once the fire brigade conclude their investigation only then can we draw our own conclusions.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,770
    Forum Member
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    Possible scenarios are:

1. Fire caused by some wiring fault

2.Arson by a numpty fan who wants the stadium expansion.

3. Arson as ordered by a club insider who bungs some cash to the local firebug.

4. The business arranges their own accident to maybe make the club look bad as they have been at odds with them and have had to take abuse from the Spurs fans who are lacking the odd brain cell.

All are viable but I would take option 3 and 4 out as the club would have too much to lose and no business man is going to torch his own company unless its all going wrong and the only way out is the insurance option.

So that just leaves a accident or a fan with an axe to grind, once the fire brigade conclude their investigation only then can we draw our own conclusions.

According to posts on the main Tottenham Hotspur thread, the club has offered to give Archway a new (and bigger) site nearby and to pay the costs of moving the company but will not fund the cost of of building the new factory. The appeal against the CPO is (or at least was) due in January. Presumably if the appeal against the CPO is rejected then Archway have to move and swallow the costs of building the factory.

Does Archway have the option of using an insurance payout due to the fire to fund the rebuilding cost at the new site leaving Spurs to pay the other costs?

Depending on your view of the likely outcome of the CPO appeal that might be a satisfactory solution for any of the players in this situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_Moth wrote: »
    Does Archway have the option of using an insurance payout due to the fire to fund the rebuilding cost at the new site leaving Spurs to pay the other costs?

I imagine the insurance should really be a no-brainer either way - if it was an accident or if it was arson i expect they'll get a full payout unless, of course, they've cut corners on whatever policy they might have.

So as you've said, the most satisfactory outcome would be for them to take the deal on the table from ENIC for the larger plot of land plus any re-location expenses and use the insurance payout to build new premises.

But then I suppose I wouldn't be massively surprised if they were bloody minded enough to try and rebuild on the same location as an "Up Yours" to ENIC.