Top Gear

Comments

• SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Love the way they gave James the top he has been wearing regularly for about 12 years!
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched BBC Alba's motoring programme a couple of nights ago. Obviously much lower budget than Top Gear but it was quite good fun without the moronic testing a car by driving it around in circles to wreck the tyres.
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a good laugh watching the new LEGO Top Gear trailer on youtube so I thought I'd share it here. It's on the official Top Gear channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7YDMt7jOfU

Absolute class!!

There's a preview of the new series and a live q & a session with the chaps on the BBC red button at 9pm tonight.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. Watching it now.

TG now on a par with Last of the Summer Wine :D Aye!
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the Q&A on youtube - odd it wasn't on 'actual' broadcast TV. Admittedly the most startling thing on it was May's shirt but it was interesting enough.
  • simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Red Button isn't 'actual' broadcast TV??? :confused:
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Absolute class!!

There's a preview of the new series and a live q & a session with the chaps on the BBC red button at 9pm tonight.

If anyone missed it, it's on the iPlayer for 29 days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    The Red Button isn't 'actual' broadcast TV??? :confused:.
    Well, not quite. It's not usually listed in listing mags for example and the show wasn't trailed at all as far as I can see. Being on the red button is different than being on say BBC Three, which seems to show a lot of repeats of Top Gear so it's somewhat odd this show wasn't on there.

It's connected to one of the more popular shows the BBC have and it would certainly have got decent viewing figures, yet they effectively his it away. It all seems a bit... strange.
  • PubcrawlerPubcrawler Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good programme but what a boring interviewer :(
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Pubcrawler wrote: »
    Good programme but what a boring interviewer :(

I thought that too.

They seemed to be suggesting he's pretty well known though. Does he have his own regional show "darn sarf" or summat?

Preview of the new series looked promising.

I always enjoy the features where they actually get involved with something fairly sensible, like building that Caterham from a kit, doing Le Mans in the diesel bimmer or going rallycrossing and it looks like there'll be a bit more of that this year.
    I much prefer them to the features where they're doing stuff like turning a van into a hovercraft or building a car for OAPs which are usually pretty funny but they've become ever more farcical and pretentious.

If there's been any problem with TG in the last couple of years it's probably that it's become a bit too grandiose for it's own good and it's lost a bit of focus.
    Hopefully somebody will have realised that and this year's series will be a bit more down to Earth.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I thought that too.

They seemed to be suggesting he's pretty well known though. Does he have his own regional show "darn sarf" or summat?.

It was Christian O'Connell from Absolute Radio's Breakfast Show
    Forum Member
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    It was Christian O'Connell from Absolute Radio's Breakfast Show

You say that like I should be aware of it.

I googled it and I see that it's a London radio station so you'll have to excuse me for not being aware of it up here in the badlands of Scotland.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say that like I should be aware of it.

I googled it and I see that it's a London radio station so you'll have to excuse me for not being aware of it up here in the badlands of Scotland.

It's available here in the Midlands (on AM), and is also on Freeview.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Hopefully somebody will have realised that and this year's series will be a bit more down to Earth.
    Hammond did claim that in this series they're going back to what they do best, and the words he used suggested more of what you're looking for and less of the staged theatricals. Having caught a rerun of the episode with the hovervan on Dave last week though I found it fun to watch, and more of that sort of japery wouldn't go amiss.

Isn't Abs Radio available on DAB nationwide? Thanks for the name btw ClarkF1; I knew him but couldn't place him.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    It's available here in the Midlands (on AM), and is also on Freeview.

He used to also have his own Channel 5 show and was on FiveLive for a time, so he's not exactly an unknown nationally.
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    DanielF wrote: »
    He used to also have his own Channel 5 show and was on FiveLive for a time, so he's not exactly an unknown nationally.

That's right, he did.

I thought that he was well known nationwide.

He took over from Chris Moyles on Channel 5 & hosted Fighting Talk on Radio 5.
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Hammond did claim that in this series they're going back to what they do best, and the words he used suggested more of what you're looking for and less of the staged theatricals. Having caught a rerun of the episode with the hovervan on Dave last week though I found it fun to watch, and more of that sort of japery wouldn't go amiss.

Hmmm, I suppose.

Stuff like the thing with the hover-van was certainly funny but it was all too apparent that it was all devised with theatrics in mind.
    I tend to prefer it when it's fairly "mundane" stuff that provides the humour.

Possibly a bit of "rose-tinted glasses syndrome" at work but I think they hit a sweet-spot a few years ago and they've been expending ever-increasing amounts of effort and money to get the same sort of result.
    Stuff like the Police Car Challenge, the Construction Challenge and, of course, the Car Boat Challenge managed to be just as funny (and often funnier) than a lot of the more extravagant stuff they've done more recently.
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    Watched the Q&A on youtube - odd it wasn't on 'actual' broadcast TV. Admittedly the most startling thing on it was May's shirt but it was interesting enough.
    Tbf I've not seen any similar type of show on the BBC. It is the kind of thing you'd find on the Red button, website or smaller satellite channels like Sky Arts.

Possibly BBC Four do these things but I don't think TG would fit in there.

Next Sunday there is a film on before TG. Maybe they could have had a documentary on at 6pm, then the Q&A at 7pm before the new series. Then again i'm not BBC2's scheduler.
    Forum Member
    SnrDev wrote: »

Isn't Abs Radio available on DAB nationwide? Thanks for the name btw ClarkF1; I knew him but couldn't place him.
    I thought O'Connell was pretty well known as a DJ. I also remember his chat show.
    Personally I ddn't think much of his chat show or him as a DJ but for what was needed for this job he did ok.

I've seen a few Q&A's before and with those it's the person who organised it that presents it and asks the questions.

As for the series, I just hope it's not too similar to what has been. It is just different sketches reshashed and mashed together.
    The bike, car, hovercraft challenge across a city for example.
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    marke09 wrote: »
    BBC TWO
    BBC TWO

Top Gear

The world’s biggest car programme returns for an explosive and extra-long run of brand-new programmes.
    In this first episode of the series, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May are in Russia for an incredible race across the vast and very beautiful urban landscape of St Petersburg. May defends the honour of the car in a very small Renault, Hammond tries to prove that pedalling is faster by saddling up a bicycle, while Clarkson attempts to demonstrate that water is the quickest way across town, especially if you’re in a hovercraft. To make matters more complicated, all three presenters are racing not only each other but also The Stig, who is silently making his way towards the finish line on public transport.

Also in this episode, Richard Hammond is at the test track to find out if the dramatic new Lamborghini Huracan is as flamboyant and fun as an Italian supercar should be.

The Star in the Reasonably Priced Car will be Ed Sheeran.
    Ep 1/10

Sunday 25 January

Time to be confirmed

BBC TWO

HD

That just seems to be a rehash of the race across London from a few years ago.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That just seems to be a rehash of the race across London from a few years ago.
    Yes it is, they admitted that straight out in that TG talk on Sunday, But they did say that it was with transport that was more fitting, and across a different city in a different country.
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolute Radio used to be Virgin radio. It's on 1215 kHz over most of the country, though reception is crap. Basically it's 247metres in old money, where Radio 1 was for its first 11 years.

As pointed out it's also on DAB nationally (though coverage is patchy)

It's not a London station, it's national, it's just that it's on FM in London
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the clips they showed were really good. Looking forward to the one where JC and JM make a slow attempt to rescue RH.
    Like I've always said, I know absolutely nothing about cars but this is my favourite all time show on the BBC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they get asked about the Patagonia fiasco?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did they get asked about the Patagonia fiasco?
    Not specifically. I think it was mentioned in passing.
  • pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew it was on their youtube channel but didn't know about the red button. It is being repeated in 10 mins or so on the red button (1955) , I had started watching it on iplayer when I decided to check if it was being repeated. From what JC has tweeted I don't think it was 'LIVE'.
This discussion has been closed.