Options

Advent Vega

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Did anyone manage to get one of these before they sold out?

If so what are they like?

Comments

• Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a very quick look at one tonight, was very impressed with it.
    Good screen, good touch controls, found a dozen wireless networks immediately and was very fast on the net.

The size was good and it didn't weigh much at all, it does have a hdmi output as well for those wondering. General feel of the case wasn't too great, but a leather case will be available soon which will sort that out.

I'm definitely going to be looking out for one of these in the new year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    FlyinBrick wrote: »
    Had a very quick look at one tonight, was very impressed with it.
    Good screen, good touch controls, found a dozen wireless networks immediately and was very fast on the net.

The size was good and it didn't weigh much at all, it does have a hdmi output as well for those wondering. General feel of the case wasn't too great, but a leather case will be available soon which will sort that out.

I'm definitely going to be looking out for one of these in the new year.

Sounds good, where did you get to see one?
  • Options
    FlyinBrickFlyinBrick Posts: 1,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend managed to buy two for his kids Christmas present.

He brought one to the pub tonight to let me have a look.
  • Options
    sandstonesandstone Posts: 1,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have one great hardware let down by the screen, it uses a netbook screen so viewing angles are poor so don't expect to put it flat on a desk and be able to read it.

stock android isn't the best experience though.
    i have modaco r4 plus the performance pack and its very responsive now.
    bought a better keyboard from the market and installed adw.launcher and increased the number of rows and columns on screen.
    its very usable now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sandstone wrote: »
    i have one great hardware let down by the screen, it uses a netbook screen so viewing angles are poor so don't expect to put it flat on a desk and be able to read it.

stock android isn't the best experience though.
    i have modaco r4 plus the performance pack and its very responsive now.
    bought a better keyboard from the market and installed adw.launcher and increased the number of rows and columns on screen.
    its very usable now.

Thanks for the info, unfortunately I haven't been able to find one yet. Currys have sold out very quickly.

I take it you have modded the firmware? Is that easy to do?

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pretty easy. most of the difficulty is down to windows and having the right drivers.

details here
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen could be better.

Watch out for stocks at Pixmania in that they sold out in a few hours at £190 each in November.
    January could be a very interesting time for tablets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    took some screencaps here
  • Options
    skimminstonesskimminstones Posts: 8,403
    Forum Member
    does this have official market access or is it from a hack?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hack......
  • Options
    muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I managed to get one believe it or not and I really like it, great value for money (I know its nowhere near as good as the ipad).

However, PC World/Advent support is rubbish, it also did not come with any instructions as I am struggling to find out how on earth to download Apps onto it?

Three days on and no further forward, and the helpline for PC World/Advent tell you to go to the store, whats the point of that!

So, has anyone got the ADvent Vega and worked out how to donwload Apps, I am now guessing it has something to do with the USB cable? Please help!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those who still want one I subscribed to Adventvega on Twitter and they tell you within the hour when they are in, which is how I got one and also keep you posted too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »
    I managed to get one believe it or not and I really like it, great value for money (I know its nowhere near as good as the ipad).

However, PC World/Advent support is rubbish, it also did not come with any instructions as I am struggling to find out how on earth to download Apps onto it?

Three days on and no further forward, and the helpline for PC World/Advent tell you to go to the store, whats the point of that!

So, has anyone got the ADvent Vega and worked out how to donwload Apps, I am now guessing it has something to do with the USB cable? Please help!
    http://www.myadventvega.co.uk/

Not sure if you are on 1.04 yet.
    Then just customise it at modaco.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Vega two days ago so am assuming it does have the latest software, I have also downloaded the PDF for the operating instructions and it really does not make it clear how to download apps at all

Bwahhhhaaaa
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read my post again.

An alternative is no doubt simply to find the apk of the program you want and install it.
    I'm assuming you just click the apk file once downloaded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And sick with it.

By some accounts its OGL and thus games ability is the best out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got my Vega two days ago so am assuming it does have the latest software, I have also downloaded the PDF for the operating instructions and it really does not make it clear how to download apps at all

Bwahhhhaaaa

Look here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst not the Vega some Tegra 2 initial benchmarks are interesting.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4054/first-look-viewsonic-gtablet-and-tegra-2-performance-preview/2

Showing as 250% faster than the iPad is probably a bit misleading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's only using one core too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what to get.

Click had a few pads on this week from the Galaxy to the Dell Duo.

I quite liked the Dell Duo with it's flip top screen but it seemed slow with Win7 and had poor battery life.

I'd like something I can mod easily.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went into pc world to see if i was doing something wrong turns out they had never seen one of these and never used one. It was quite funny as afew staff had to have a look. To cut a long story short the market place for the vega has not been launched yet so would need a crack and sone tinkering which i am not technical enough to do i am prepared to wait though a bit disapointed really
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent_Vega

Appslib icon. You made it sound like it is missed off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeeze alan lighten up!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To cut a long story short the market place for the vega has not been launched yet so would need a crack and sone tinkering which i am not technical enough to do i am prepared to wait though a bit disapointed really

unless google changes its rules the vega will never officially have the market so you have to flash Modaco's custom firmware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will just hang on if thats the case will ask a buddy to sort the vega with the modaco thing im not confident of doing it tbh