Shops that will not be with us in 2015

fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
Forum Member
Which shop's do you think will not be here in 2015.

Comments

• Mike HawkeMike Hawke Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    WH Smith
    HMV
    Currys
    PC World
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WH Smith.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    Mike Hawke wrote: »
    WH Smith
    HMV
    Currys
    PC World
    WH Smith.

why do you think this
  • blackdogblackblackdogblack Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hmv for definite
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Don't know.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WH Smith
    HMV
    Currys
    PC World

I could believe it of Currys because they're terrible ..... ours was anyway. After service was completely atrocious. My mother stopped shopping there years and years ago. They've been gone for about 4 years now though. No one we came across had a good word to say about Currys ..... which might have been the reason they closed in my town.
    Forum Member
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    why do you think this

Just a feeling I have. A lot of branches are in need of a refit, they're never very busy, I can't see how they'll survive for much longer just by selling newspapers and bottles of water to nearby office workers.
  • PhoenixblissPhoenixbliss Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    The Liberal Democrats souvenir shop at party conferences due to lack of customers:D
    Forum Member
    Just a feeling I have. A lot of branches are in need of a refit, they're never very busy, I can't see how they'll survive for much longer just by selling newspapers and bottles of water to nearby office workers.

they refitted the aberdeen railway station branch

and it must cost alot for the celeb adverts
  • Flamethrower100Flamethrower100 Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrods. everyone will be too poor to shop there.
    Forum Member
    they refitted the aberdeen railway station branch

and it must cost alot for the celeb adverts

Most of their profits come from the railway station stores, captive market and all that. It's the town centre branches that are looking a bit neglected. They'll be the first to close.
    Forum Member
    Most of their profits come from the railway station stores, captive market and all that. It's the town centre branches that are looking a bit neglected. They'll be the first to close.

:(:(:(

the 3 floor aberdeen one looks like it is doing well crappy post office though
  • hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only one I'd agree with is WHSmith. However, they pretty much sucked up the market when Woolworths disappeared. If they keep up their brand for books and other such things, they'll be fine.

HMV? No way. CDs have still got a long way to go yet and they're the only major music shop that exists now. Their monopoly will keep them running as they sell games and DVDs. They're only just keeping up with online sales - although they have a slice of it as well.

I hope PC World and Currys go to the wall in terms of their shocking sales tactics on electronics. Especially in laptops and desktops. The prices for accessories are diabolical some of the time. HDMI and LAN cables especially.
    Forum Member
    hotmat3k wrote: »
    The only one I'd agree with is WHSmith. However, they pretty much sucked up the market when Woolworths disappeared. If they keep up their brand for books and other such things, they'll be fine.

HMV? No way. CDs have still got a long way to go yet and they're the only major music shop that exists now. Their monopoly will keep them running as they sell games and DVDs. They're only just keeping up with online sales - although they have a slice of it as well.

I hope PC World and Currys go to the wall in terms of their shocking sales tactics on electronics. Especially in laptops and desktops. The prices for accessories are diabolical some of the time. HDMI and LAN cables especially.

HMV are dying internet will kill
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJB Sports.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HMV are dying internet will kill

I thought the internet had to be stopped???

Ah, I get it now. You love HMV and have come back from the future to save them.
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I thought the internet had to be stopped???

Ah, I get it now. You love HMV and have come back from the future to save them.

the internet has to be stopped
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,963
    Forum Member
    Blockbuster of course. Already bankrupt in the US thanks to Netflix. Has no chance surviving in UK with Netflix about to launch into battle with Lovefilm over here.

Waterstones is part of the HMV group. Both could disappear from the high street by 2015.

GAME. Suffering from the double whammy of online only rivals and the games sector moving more to the download model of distribution.
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member
    Our Price
    Coda
    Woolworths
    Kwik Save
    Forum Member
    Our Price
    Coda
    Woolworths
    Kwik Save

they are already gone
  • Achtung!Achtung! Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    GAME. Suffering from the double whammy of online only rivals and the games sector moving more to the download model of distribution.

I was going to say GAME. Their shite service and overpriced games appears to adopt the perpetual motion of business models.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    BHS hopefully, I don't understand how that place survives.:confused:

As others have said about Currys,it depresses me to see the shops bustling with customers being cynically ripped off.:(
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    w h smith
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    the internet has to be stopped

You might yet get your way :)
  • euphieeuphie Posts: 2,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung! wrote: »
    I was going to say GAME. Their shite service and overpriced games appears to adopt the perpetual motion of business models.

Can't see that - not many places on the high street that sell what they do