Options

Pet Insurance for cats aged 14+

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone got any recommendations?

I'm with Asda at the mo and have done a few comparison sites but they are coming out quite high this year e.g £45 a month.

That might be the norm I guess now she's a more mature lady and I've no probs paying the price but personal recommendations are better than a search engine.

Only thing I've claimed for 3 years ago is FLUTD where she had quite a lot of tests.

Comments

• Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Gosh - that's a lot! I was paying around £23/month with Petplan for my Tabitha before she died - she was just short of 16. Her premiums really rocketed after she was 10 and I had a large excess of over £950 to pay for her last illness (actually the excess was nearer £700, the other £250 was individual cremation and urn costs).

My 3 present cats are all way under 10 and I pay less than £45/month for all 3 combined (think it's about £40).

My Tabitha was insured with Petplan from about 6 months (or younger, can't really remember now) and she had life long cover. I would probably expect to pay more if I was insuring a cat for the first time at an older age - but certainly not £45/month :eek: Is your cat a pedigree?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    my cat is 13 and i pay £12 per month through Argos. you could try them x:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would be concerned that cheaper policies wouldn't give me the protection I would require, eg. some policies only pay out once per illness which may prove a problem if the illness is recurring. I've had very good experiences with Petplan and have claimed several times with absolutely no hassle.
    I've had a look at last year's policy to work out what I was paying for Tabitha (I had a combined policy with my other cat at the time) and it was actually just over £20.

My present 3 cats are not costing me that much more than when I just had 2. When all 3 reach 10+ my costs will rocket but that's a long way away :)
  • Options
    Shadow70Shadow70 Posts: 1,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I pay £19 a month with Sainsburys (with an excess of £100) though I have had the policy for some years now, not sure it would be that cheap if I wanted to insure Shadow now (he's 14).

I've never had any trouble claiming from them, and he's had 3 operations and has got a long term illness - so I think they have paid out more than I have paid in!! I keep expecting them to terminate his policy each time I put a new claim in, but they don't, and the premium hasn't gone up that much over the years.

I wouldn't be without pet insurance after my little Muppet got heart failure and I had to spend a fortune on him over the course of two and a half years - not that I minded paying if it meant keeping him well. But it is so much more reassuring to know my other cats are all insured.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shadow70 wrote: »
    I pay £19 a month with Sainsburys (with an excess of £100) though I have had the policy for some years now, not sure it would be that cheap if I wanted to insure Shadow now (he's 14).

I've never had any trouble claiming from them, and he's had 3 operations and has got a long term illness - so I think they have paid out more than I have paid in!! I keep expecting them to terminate his policy each time I put a new claim in, but they don't, and the premium hasn't gone up that much over the years.

I wouldn't be without pet insurance after my little Muppet got heart failure and I had to spend a fortune on him over the course of two and a half years - not that I minded paying if it meant keeping him well. But it is so much more reassuring to know my other cats are all insured.

You're very lucky to have such a small excess. With Petplan cats under 10 just have an excess of £85. Over 10 and it's £120 + 20% of the remaining bill + admin charges for direct payment to the vet.

Luckily, my father paid my excess and my brother helped me out too. It was a lot of money to pay for just over 2 weeks of intensive treatment and tests and with such a sad outcome in the end. I know I did everything I could for my cat and insurance helped me out, otherwise I would have been paying £3500 :eek:
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    If your cat has a history of FLUTD you may find other insurers excluding it, which for an older cat could be a huge issue as unfortunately cats do tend to get kidney failure as they get older.

I had my 2 cats (both RIP) insured with Animal Friends. The monthly premium was only £14 odd per cat, but there was a 35% excess on all claims due to their age. Towards the end we had huge bills but the insurance still saved us a fortune and they paid up promptly. I would recommend them.

I'm sure you know this, but make sure that the cover does not expire for any single condition after 1 year's treatment. Many insurance policies do.