Do you support John McCririck? - alleged age discrimination

Comments

• oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a horrible specimen but I believe the idiotic broadcasters have shot themselves in the foot again (see BBC for "previous") and provided it is accepted that he was in fact employed by them, on which point he seems to have prevailed, he will probably win his case.
  • kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    It would be funny if Channel 4 said in court "We didn't re-hire your client because of his age, we didn't because we think he's a filthy, obnoxious, nose-picking twonk who makes our viewers feel ill"
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's an absolutely revolting, pathetic excuse for a human being, so no I don't support him.
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    I am a bit uneasy about a TV personality attempting to sue their employer for not renewing their contract. Show biz is by it's nature an insecure profession, programme makers are constantly under pressure to chop and change programmes to "remain at the cutting edge" and should I believe, be allowed to drop people for artistic reasons or because the "format is getting tired" etc.

I felt some sympathy with the female BBC reporter (was it Miriam O'Reilly ?) who was apparently sacked for being too old, she seemed to be more than competent and certain female newscasters of advanced years who thought they had been unfairly treated. Taking legal action is perhaps taking things too far though. How can their be a legal test for whether a presenter is too old and doddery ?

Would you really want a 100 year old Jimmy Young on Radio One ? (hypothetically speaking )

Coronation Street producers can drop Curly Watts, Tyrone Dobbs and Martin Platt at a whim. should they be afraid of doing the same to Emily Bishop, Rita or (putting his present troubles aside) Ken Barlow ?

Looking at John McCririck on tonight's news, he did look a bit old for the job, a bit shaky even, so no I don't support him.

Yes, Miriam O'Reilly and a few other women were dropped, while the one middle-aged male was kept on Countryfile, I think it's called. It was unbelievably blatant. And yes, I'd rather have a sprightly century-old Jimmy Young than that dreary "young whippersnapper"(!) Vine the Whine. And among the female newsreaders, I'd bring back Anna Ford.

But I do take your point about showbiz and programmes and presenters going on forever and going stale. It can become a bit much seeing the same face reading the news for years on end, especially if it is someone you didn't like in the first place. Who could have stood another minute of Peter Sissons presenting Question Time or even reading the news? It was pure torture for as long as he did do it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he is an out-dated, offensive, unlikeable, grubby, little, egomaniac with zero talent and not a chance in hell of getting a job on TV if he were 25 and interviewed tomorrow. He's a prick and I'm glad he's off my telly.

Admittedly, this does seem to be the general consensus but you all seemed to be having so much fun slagging him off I wanted to join in :D
  • Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, he spouted his mouth enough and disparaged his wife enough on CBB now he shouts 'discrimination' Oh joy, what goes around comes around :D
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a job with him once and he was loathsome. Really loathsome. Dodgy tickling handshake and the works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    Dodgy tickling handshake and the works.

Why would you tell us that? :cry: Eeeeew!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,240
    Forum Member
    I see him as an older Boris Johnson - two bumbling buffoons.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »
    Why would you tell us that? :cry: Eeeeew!

I know. It was a good 15 years ago, and the memory of it is still repulsive.

As for Boris: his bumbling is a non-threatening mode of behaviour that wrongfoots his political opponents, and will see him right through the door of Number 10. He's no fool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I know. It was a good 15 years ago, and the memory of it is still repulsive.

You brave, brave woman. How you'd get over something like that I have no idea.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    3 million future earnings !!

really ????
  • Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy watching horse racing but if ever he was on I would turn off. I find the man repulsive ... horrible clothes, horrible manners ... just horrible! nothing to do with his age at all ... I didn't watch CBB because he was on there rambling on about his "boobie" poor woman what does she see in him? well they say love is blind! As for 3 million? I wouldn't give him 3 pence!
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age aside, you got to allow C4 racing the ability to reimage themselves. So don't think he has a case. In the world of TV I think few have a job for life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably already been said, but right wingers like McCririck are very quick to turn to the laws that cover discriminaation when it suits them.

If he wins, I doubt we shall be hearing him blathering on about "PC gone mad" on this particular occasion.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    He displayed his obnoxiousness and downright filthy habits to the nation when he chose to appear on BB, the nation as a whole didn't like him, the majority found him totally offensive and Ch 4 had no option but to dispose of him by whatever means. He only has himself to blame.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has everyone forgotten his heroism at Nakatomi Plaza?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's probably already been said, but right wingers like McCririck are very quick to turn to the laws that cover discriminaation when it suits them.

If he wins, I doubt we shall be hearing him blathering on about "PC gone mad" on this particular occasion.

the chances of bafoons like him realising the irony of this is pretty slim
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Has everyone forgotten his heroism at Nakatomi Plaza?

Ermmm, what? The only Nakatomi Plaza that I've ever heard of was in Die Hard, saying that, I've no doubt that that's how he'd prefer to expire. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    Ermmm, what? The only Nakatomi Plaza that I've ever heard of was in Die Hard, saying that, I've no doubt that that's how he'd prefer to expire. :D

*whoosh*
    Forum Member
    *whoosh*

Not you as well!!! I'm always getting the "whooshes". Over my head it goes ..................... gone! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not you as well!!! I'm always getting the "whooshes". Over my head it goes ..................... gone! :D

Hehe... to be fair, it wasn't exactly the BEST joke ever.
    Forum Member
    Hehe... to be fair, it wasn't exactly the BEST joke ever.

To be even fairer, I'm as thick as two short planks. It's no wonder that my friends call me Margot. :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Judging by what passes for humour in this place that is probably a good thing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Judging by what passes for humour in this place that is probably a good thing

Oi! I resemble that remark.