The Shrien Dewani Trial

Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
He goes on trial tomorrow in Cape Town for the murder of his wife Anni in 2010. A British couple who were on honeymoon in South Africa when the murder took place. A horrendous crime that he is alleged to have organised.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/05/shrien-dewani-trial_n_5934498.html

Given the high profile court case of Oscar Pistorious in recent months it will be interesting to see whether the South African legal system redeems itself in people eyes with how it handles this case.

Comments

• phantom sneezephantom sneeze Posts: 1,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward on how this develops.....
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched a docu on this case. I don't know if he did it or not, and lean more to him being not guilty. I don't think they can prove he did beyond a reasonable doubt.

We shall see though.
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    Given the high profile court case of Oscar Pistorious in recent months it will be interesting to see whether the South African legal system redeems itself in people eyes with how it handles this case.

Is this one scheduled to drag on as long?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I seem to recall that the police had confessions from the guys who killed his wife, saying that he was involved.

The other thing is, somebody should go and have a word with all the psychiatrists who'd been saying he was unfit to stand trial.
    He's there, standing trial.
    They were wrong.
    That would suggest the shrinks were either incompetent or deliberately obstructive.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,369
    Forum Member
    It's not televised?
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    The trial has started with a defence statement.

Dewani has made an admission that he is bisexual and had meetings with the German Master (who is in Cape Town to give evidence). He says the money was for a helicopter ride. He says their relationship was turbulent but that they loved each other. He was on hormone therapy to try and have children.

My starting position in this trial is that he is guilty. But I thought Pistorius was guilty of knowingly shooting Reeva at the start and the evidence changed that for me, so let's see.

I'm pretty convinced though. Not from the admission obviously, just from having followed the case for 4 years.
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly she wanted out of the relationship because he was too controlling.
  • Imogen_RichardsImogen_Richards Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    Oddly she wanted out of the relationship because he was too controlling.

It seems they married because of family expectations but neither of them really wanted to?

Do you have a link to the documentary? I seem to remember it was pro Dewani?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems they married because of family expectations but neither of them really wanted to?

Such is the insidious nature of arranged marriage, and neanderthal attitudes to homosexuality. I wonder how many Indians are trapped in loveless marriages?
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I think him admitting to being bisexual will do wonders for his defence as that was the main reason the prosecution would argue for getting rid of Anni - that he was gay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Such is the insidious nature of arranged marriage, and neanderthal attitudes to homosexuality. I wonder how many Indians are trapped in loveless marriages?

Many I would imagine. Tho perhaps easier to live with than homosexuality. Tho he said he was bi sexual not homosexual.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh I wonder if this thread will reach the "legendary" heights that the Oscar Pistorius one has?!
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    To a newly married man, on his honeymoon, the most precious thing in the whole world is the wellbeing of his new bride.

That hard-wired need to love and protect her does not include a visit to a South African Township.
  • hopeless casehopeless case Posts: 5,245
    Forum Member
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    I think him admitting to being bisexual will do wonders for his defence as that was the main reason the prosecution would argue for getting rid of Anni - that he was gay.

It's good to admit it, but tbh I don't think he had much choice, the evidence is too strong. He had denied it for years, and his family had released statements denying it too, as well as denying the male prostitute links.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh I wonder if this thread will reach the "legendary" heights that the Oscar Pistorius one has?!

Not enough hours in the day for me to wade through that thread. So care to spill?
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    The trial has started with a defence statement.

Dewani has made an admission that he is bisexual and had meetings with the German Master (who is in Cape Town to give evidence). He says the money was for a helicopter ride. He says their relationship was turbulent but that they loved each other. He was on hormone therapy to try and have children.

My starting position in this trial is that he is guilty. But I thought Pistorius was guilty of knowingly shooting Reeva at the start and the evidence changed that for me, so let's see.

I'm pretty convinced though. Not from the admission obviously, just from having followed the case for 4 years.

I’ve also followed the developments in this rather complex case and I have a completely opposite view.

Regardless of Dewani’s bi-sexual orientation, a fact that has been seized upon by the prosecution (as one would expect) the guy is completely innocent, in my opinion.

He and his wife were the victims of an armed robbery, the format of which was well-rehearsed and had allegedly been carried out previously with other unsuspecting wealthy victims.

However, on this occasion it went wrong with tragic consequences.

The 3 ‘murderers’, that included the taxi driver, all admitted their guilt and were given long prison sentences.

However, the taxi driver Zola Tongo (the only one that had previously met Dewani) was offered a plea-bargain to have his sentence greatly reduced if he would implicate Dewani in the conspiracy.

Tongo seized the opportunity..............which lying, convicted murderer would refuse an offer like that! :o

The reasons why some authorities may have wanted Dewani (a non-S.African) implicated in the murder appear to be many and varied; I suspect they will be central to the Defences’ case.

The trial will be very interesting and I sincerely hope Dewanis’ fate, whether guilty or innocent, will be decided by the ‘real’ facts.
  • .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    My view and I'm more than open to having it changed by the evidence. Is that he probably did want out of the marriage. I'm not sure he did organise the murder but I don't think he was devastated that she was killed, I think it was a lucky break for him.

I do find it interesting that he told Anni he didn't believe in sex before marriage (according to her family), but was having affairs with male prostitutes before they got married.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    This wasn't an arranged marriage though.
    .Lauren. wrote: »
    Agreed.
  • Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I too had a default position that he was guilty until I watched the Panorama doc on the murder (it's on YouTube) they raised a number of questions and included video that cast real doubt and now I think he may be innocent, a victim of a pre-planned carjacking orchestrated by the taxi driver and his friend that worked in the nearby hotel.

This will probably be my last comment on this trial, though I will follow it closely ( I ventured once into the Pistorius thread and got such a kicking I almost deleted my whole DS account!, just because I had the gall to try to imagine myself in Reeva's place, prior to the shooting when she was cowering in the toilet)
  • bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they don't have the same defence experts in this trial that they had in the Oscar P trial.

One lives in hope. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bri160356 wrote: »
    I’ve also followed the developments in this rather complex case and I have a completely opposite view.

Regardless of Dewani’s bi-sexual orientation, a fact that has been seized upon by the prosecution (as one would expect) the guy is completely innocent, in my opinion.

He and his wife were the victims of an armed robbery, the format of which was well-rehearsed and had allegedly been carried out previously with other unsuspecting wealthy victims.

However, on this occasion it went wrong with tragic consequences.

The 3 ‘murderers’, that included the taxi driver, all admitted their guilt and were given long prison sentences.

However, the taxi driver Zola Tongo (the only one that had previously met Dewani) was offered a plea-bargain to have his sentence greatly reduced if he would implicate Dewani in the conspiracy.

Tongo seized the opportunity..............which lying, convicted murderer would refuse an offer like that! :o

The reasons why some authorities may have wanted Dewani (a non-S.African) implicated in the murder appear to be many and varied; I suspect they will be central to the Defences’ case.

The trial will be very interesting and I sincerely hope Dewanis’ fate, whether guilty or innocent, will be decided by the ‘real’ facts.

I think he did it but I am interested in the testimony. I think all his denials about the German Master has influenced me. With that out of the way I may be more open to be convinced of his innocence - or at least significantly doubting his guilt.
  • ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    I find it really odd that he is smiling in these pictures shortly after finding out Anni is dead

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421557-1BD251AD000005DC-724_306x423.jpg

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vRVUXRlzgtA/0.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    I find it really odd that he is smiling in these pictures shortly after finding out Anni is dead

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/09/16/article-2421557-1BD251AD000005DC-724_306x423.jpg

A lot of coincidences . It will be interesting .
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    This wasn't an arranged marriage though.
    Agreed.

Not arranged no, but I think that he married to please his parents who wouldn't have accepted him as gay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »

I thought that the way they walked into that restaurant was very odd. Not what I would have expected from a honeymoon couple. Of course it doesn't make him guilty but they didn't look loved up to me,